Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can make the argument that social media is destroying civil society with artificial thought bubbles etc.

Elon's mission is to advance the progress for sustainable humanity, so it does fit from that view.
Thank you, that article in the Atlantic is an astoundingly fine one.

I did something really unusual that may be a measure of it’s worth: I read the whole article before commenting or forwarding a link to anyone. I know, that is crazy. LOL I am a subscriber to The Atlantic, yet this forum is how I got to the article first.

Thank you, that article in the Atlantic is an astoundingly fine one.

I did something really unusual that may be a measure of it’s worth: I read the whole article before commenting or forwarding a link to anyone. I know, that is crazy. LOL I am a subscriber to The Atlantic, yet this forum is how I got to the article first.

My bad, I woke up at 5:30am this morning to take my dad, a month away from a major surgery, to his clinic at 7am.

It doesn't. Musk wants degenerate bigots like Alex Jones and Donald Trump back on the platform -- that'll be his first order of business, mark my words.

He hates seeing nazis like Jordan Peterson reap the social consequences of their hatespeech. That's all this is about.

Bring on the downvotes, but every word of this post is dead fact truth -- feel free to check back and see once he's in charge.
MarketWatch- Today: Trump says he 'probably wouldn't have any interest' in returning to 'very boring' Twitter if Musk allows him back on

Excerpt: But Trump himself just said he has no interest in returning to Twitter (TWTR). In an interview with Americano Media that aired Wednesday, he was asked about coming back if Tesla (TSLA) CEO Musk were to restore his account.

Yes, he’s offering over 50B while his team of programmers and him could manage to program a social media platform with free speech for under 100M.
I would come out of T$LA retirement and code for free, or for 2025 options.
There must be at least a 1000 of engineers like me.

The only thing of value is stickiness of TWTR user network .. it would take years for valuable users (content generators) to migrate.
Long term though it might be a good thing because folks like Cardi B. might never move :) Twitter clone could be cathartic, content cleansing experience. If new network would attract mostly fintech and tech content, that would be much higher ARPU as well.

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. I really respect your analysis so I'm still trying to understand why we have such a wide discrepancy in ASP estimates. I'm doing the math as carefully as I can and getting $67k average revenue per vehicle this year.

Minor Quibble on Deliveries
291,760 units sold appears to be off by 730 units. Per the Q4 report:
Total Deliveries 308,650​
of which leased 16,160​
All vehicles not leased were sold, so that means 292,490 were sold.​

Reg Credits
The $15.025 B revenue excludes $315 M of regulatory credits, whereas I have kept that part in because I believe it'll be sustained around that level for a at least a couple more years. So that explains some of the difference. Overall auto revenue excluding leasing was $15.339 B in Q4, or $52.4 k per vehicle. If this was proportional to the overall sales/lease ratio, then $298M of that can be attributable to sold vehicles, which adds about $1.0k to average revenue per vehicle.

$15.339 B / 292,490 veh sold = $52.44 k rev/veh overall

Price Increase Lag
Because of the backlog being around 4 months, the prices for Q4 (Oct-Dec) were for orders from around Jun-Aug. In the time since then, prices across the whole vehicle lineup have increased by approximately 17% with the majority of these increases starting in October (ref Fig 1, US Price Changes). Therefore, with a 4-month delay, the big increases we've had thus far will start hitting the financials in the first half of 2022. All else being equal, this alone would account for approximately (1.17) * ($51.43k rev/veh price w/o reg cred) = $60.17k ASP.

View attachment 793472
Figure 1, US Price Changes
Source: Rob Maurer, Tesla Daily

Most vehicles sold in 2022 will be with prices set between Mar-Aug because of that 4-month delay and because deliveries growth is hyperlinear, so the majority of sales occur in the last 1/3rd of the year.

Yet prices just keep rising, so today's prices are actually probably less than the eventual 2022 average will be. If trends continue as they have been, but they taper off somewhat as the volume growth provides some relief, then average price across 2022 for each model will be about $2-4k higher than today's price. Let's conservatively call it $2k, so $60.17k bumps to $62.2k and if we add $1k reg credits back in, we're at revenue/vehicle of $63.2k for 2022.

This price increase projection could be too conservative because all of the following factors maybe increase the rate of demand growth vs. what we've seen since 2021.
  • Other automakers appear to be collapsing, reducing the amount of substitute goods available
  • Starship probably hits orbital flight this year
  • Russia situation may worsen oil price fears
  • Hertz rental availability is much higher than in 2021 and early 2022, resulting in more test drives
  • Elon is becoming increasingly famous
  • Boring Co Loops are expanding and usage of existing Vegas Loop is increasing, resulting in more test drives
  • Master Plan Part Trois or any new product reveals may increase excitement and attention towards Tesla

Mix
Mix, too, is improving majorly. First, for the historical trend look at Fig 2, Deliveries by Model. We can see that for six consecutive quarters Model 3 growth was minimal while Model Y production has been predictably exploding upward, going from being a quarter of Tesla's volume in Q4 2020 to half of volume in Q4 2021. Model 3 got a 2.5-year head start, but Model Y is overtaking it now. And this was just the trend from Fremont and Shanghai expansions in the last couple years; Berlin and Austin will accelerate the trend by producing exclusively Model Ys in 2022. So, in all I think we can expect Model Y to be 65-80% of volume in 2022, with 80% being the scenario where the Phase Three expansion at Shanghai is just for making Ys and Berlin & Austin surprise us with their ramp velocity.

rcIZgMs2iGvwgHF_829DTkYNrVab-gj8KdwFExhlDwuvNwFtem_8FMAT6gT5iu3TQkT0C_smJ1kDwNIBRreLyxUoE-XjTFBF7KOj3MW4ASfYiLQMrI4tIsm4o6JX_pA3Bi8zvYq4

Figure 2, Deliveries by Model
Source: James Stephenson, @icannot_enough

I doubt Tesla will prioritize Model 3 RWD production, so Hertz might be waiting for a while for complete fulfillment of their 100k order, unless they were pushed to the front of the queue ahead of other customers, in which case millions more renters in 2022 will be getting their first-time Tesla experience and many will then place orders, driving prices up further.

Refreshed S&X production is still ramping disproportionately faster than Model 3. I'd expect overall S&X share of volume to increase from 3.8% in Q4 2021 to around 4.5% averaged across 2022, assuming in the next couple quarters S&X production approaches the official nominal production capacity of 25k per quarter.

So, overall mix will go something like this:

View attachment 793471
Figure 3, Delivery Volume Share by Model
Source: Fig 2 and my own estimates

Considering that Model Y is priced about $7k higher than Model 3 and S&X about $65k higher, some tedious number-crunching says that this shift in mix would result in a $3.9k bonus for ASP, most of which coming from the Model Y effect. Adding this to the $63.2k previously calculated baseline revenue per vehicle from price increases then bumps the total rev/veh estimate to $67.1k for 2022.

Miscellaneous Factors not Considered
Insurance expansion may add materially to revenue per vehicle. I don't know how to model that and it's probably $1k/car at most.

The Europe/Middle East/North Africa market is so desperate for Model Ys that the average price (BEFORE extra options) in essentially every country except Germany is like $75k USD equivalent. So any contribution from Berlin is likely to drag Model Y ASP higher even more by maybe a couple hundred bucks, but I won't count that to be conservative since it's very hard to predict the ramp in 2022.

The backlog enables Tesla to prioritize orders with higher vehicle trims or with extra upsell options for FSD/Paint/Extra Seats/Interior Color/Wheels/Tow Hitch/Premium Connectivity. And with the backlog they have, why not? A car with red paint doesn't cost $2k extra to make, nor are sport wheels $1.5k extra cost. So, I expect Tesla to prioritize these to maximize gross profit per unit. This could easily add yet another $3k to average price which I will again exclude to be conservative because I can't have high certainty Tesla will exploit this opportunity and indeed the current configurator on Tesla.com does not indicate that delivery comes sooner with extras selected.

Summary
Overall this math leads me to an estimate of $67k for rev/veh in 2022 as a whole. There is also clearly room for this to be in the low $70s if any of the following optimistic scenarios occur:
  • Berlin or Austin ramp substantially faster than Shanghai did a couple years ago
  • The price increase trend does NOT taper off, as I projected to get a conservative $2k impact
  • FSD take rate and price suddenly increase, as the long-heralded V11 updated and subsequent Dojo-trained versions majorly increase the desirability of the software for customers

Your post is helpful. Thanks.
Here are the actual 2021 ASPs (Average Selling Price) as I have computed them along with my estimates for 2022 (in green).
You will note that the Model 3/Y ASP dropped from 50.4k in Q2 2021 to 49k in Q3 2021. This was due to the lower priced Model Y SR launching in China in Q3 2021.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my estimates for 2022 are likely conservative. I have modest increases each quarter for the following reasons:
- The large price increases have not been worldwide . . . largely US.
- Price increases will take time as the backlog still has orders with lower pricing (e.g. my Model X arriving in July is 10k lower than pricing today).
- Tesla has been prioritizing Performance models and at some point the mix will start to shift more toward non-Performance models.

I would be pleased to see your higher ASPs closer to the actual results than mine.

1649952959147.png

Last edited:
Your post is helpful. Thanks.
Here are the actual 2021 ASPs (Average Selling Price) as I have computed them along with my estimates for 2022 (in green).
You will note that the Model 3/Y ASP dropped from 50.4k in Q2 2021 to 49k in Q3 2021. This was due to the lower priced Model Y SR launching in China in Q3 2021.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, my estimates for 2022 are likely conservative. I have modest increases each quarter for the following reasons:
- The large price increases have not been worldwide . . . largely US.
- Price increases will take time as the backlog still has orders with lower pricing (e.g. my Model X arriving in July is 10k lower than pricing today).
- Tesla has been prioritizing Performance models and at some point the mix will start to shift more toward non-Performance models.

I would be pleased to see your higher ASPs closer to the actual results.

View attachment 793653

A strategy I have been wondering to myself about is temporarily jigging Fremont to build Performance models for exports to the entire world to maximize profit if it looks like Shanghai will be down for a while.

NY, LA, Chicago, SF, Boston and Seattle metro areas are all shrinking now. 5 years ago Seattle was one of the fastest growing urban agglomerations out there. SF metro area shrank 2.6% and the city itself shrank almost 7%.

Texas, Florida, Utah, Idaho, and Tennessee are growing 2-3% per year now.
The largest driving force behind this migration is the ability for people to work remote and therefore taking the opportunity to move from congested HCOL areas to smaller cities with LCOL.

MarketWatch- Today: Trump says he 'probably wouldn't have any interest' in returning to 'very boring' Twitter if Musk allows him back on

Excerpt: But Trump himself just said he has no interest in returning to Twitter (TWTR). In an interview with Americano Media that aired Wednesday, he was asked about coming back if Tesla (TSLA) CEO Musk were to restore his account.
He has to say that since it would probably be the final death stroke to the badly failing Truth Social.

TED: I don't know who this is but it's not Elon....
I'm impressed with the sound quality and looks of this Optimus Beta that Elon send.

- Yet another speaker is getting on stage. Not Elon. Elon is quite an effective bait to lead viewers to the free stream before he actually is on...

- Musk is on in a few minutes. Starting to show footage from Giga Austin on the videowall

- Interview is pre-recorded at Giga Austin a couple of days ago.

- Musk: To solve FSD, u have to solve real world AI and vision.

- Musk: I'm confident we will solve it this year.

- Musk: Regarding Optimus: "This is gonna be bigger than the cars"

- Musk: Optimus needs safety features - like when you say "Stop" it should stop what it is doing.

- Musk: Cost for Optimus - less than the cars.

- Musk: In general shortage of labour, even in the future. Any goods and services will be available to anyone who wants them.

AND NOW! Musk on stage live. He seems in great shape. Seems happy.

Musk on the Twitter buying proposal: We need an arena for free speech. Should be able to speak freely. Open source algorithm.

Musk: Everyone blame me for everything -and he laughs. Not sure he will be able to acquire Twitter.

Musk: "I could technically afford it" - audience laughing.

The host and Musk discuss potentiel political hate speech.

Musk: "The code of Twitter should be on GitHub"

Musk: If the algorithm is in doubt, let the tweet exist. But maybe not promote it.

Musk: Mostly tweeting while on the toilet

Last edited:
Well, if progressivism stayed on the path it was (ie Andrew Yang) it would be, but it has morphed into this weird authoritarian wokeism that ~70% country absolutely hates. Because it’s so hostile to even minor disagreements a lot of the coastal areas are bubbles where people don’t publicly disagree, making gauging public support for some of these positions hard.

Everyone living in the woods keeps repeating this over and over like it's reality. There's like 12 overly-woke people in Philadelphia, and 7 of them are under 25. Maybe NYC is a bit worse, but who cares? The whining about wokism is far worse than the original drivel IMO.

Is there a reason all this nonsense is STILL in the "main thread"?

I'm impressed with the sound quality and looks of this Optimus Beta that Elon send.

EDIT: Yet another speaker is getting on stage. Not Elon. Elon is quite an effective bait to lead viewers to the free stream before he actually is on...

I preferred the guitar player.

Not necessarily TED here. Musk might just be late. He did announce he's buying out a company a couple hours ago. It wouldn't be the first thing Musk has been late for.

• Funny
Reactions: DarthPierce