Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Q1 Earnings Call Caution

We should be prepared to hear uncertainty about Shanghai on this call which could get spun by the media the next day.
Elon & Zac may speak cautiously because no one knows for certain how quickly the entire supply chain gets back to normal. Even if they feel confident (like I do) that they will get things back on track soon, they may need to strike a more cautious tone.
If they reconfirm the 50%+ growth, then this should neutralize things.

If they print a strong number $2.60 or higher and reconfirm 50% growth - the stock moves up.
If they print a so so number (< $2.60) and stay silent on 50% growth - the stock may move down.

I'm interested to hear what they say about the full year projections if anything.
Also factor in both Berlin and Austin opening/finishing construction which are large capital expenditures. So EPS won't be rosy but doubling the factory count is.

Reactions: NooB_cat
Interesting day as these are the only green things in my list today of 40+ things I track

Screenshot_20220420-092612.png

It is nice to see the VIX below 20 though, if only for a few minutes today.

• Informative
Reactions: 15Peter20
Also factor in both Berlin and Austin opening/finishing construction which are large capital expenditures. So EPS won't be rosy but doubling the factory count is.
With GAAP, Capex is excluded from the income statement. Instead it goes as an asset on the balance sheet and then is gradually depreciated over time. The depreciation expenses go on the income statement.

Since Berlin and Austin opened in Q1, the first tranche of depreciation expenses will hit but that’s a tiny portion of the overall cost because the capex is amortized over the expected multi year lifetime of the factory and equipment.

However, to some extent, startup expenses for a new factory are embedded in CoGS. For example, a lot of the “investment“, so to speak, is in training personnel by doing the job, but this goes into CoGS on the income statement not into the CapEx bucket.

Last edited:
Where do you guys get your earnings reports? Does your broker send them or do you get them off the Tesla website?
Tesla website is fastest. Or if you want commentary, the YouTubers will pull from Tesla for you on their livestreams.

1. Guidance
2. Margins
3. EPS
4. Shanghai update

That's my order of importance. Don't see any way guidance is lowered since they were already sandbagging to "over 50%" and the internal number was closer to 100%.

Today we're seeing yet another example of Zach's value as CFO. He clearly insisted on a less transparent and more conservative guidance policy from day 1, and it's paid of on numerous occasions. Technically they could "raise" guidance to 60-85% today and that would be LOWER than internal guidance from five weeks ago.

I guess we've already seen the bottom today?

Well one thing’s for certain…it won’t be a dull day.
BoA came out today and basically called "peak inflation". I think that has a lot of people scrambling to make a plan before heading out for 3 months of cocaine and hookers in the Hamptons. I could see a massive TSLA and macro rollercoaster over the next few weeks.

If Elon and Zach show with with a $2.91 EPS, we might go to a bazillion. Show up at $2.24 and lord knows what happens. At the end of the day it'll be OK so long as guidance is maintained.