Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is pretty funny:

My official reaction to this - as to so many similar statements in the past - is great, let's see it. More EV's is better. My less rational response is that consumers are going to treat BMW vs. Tesla when/if they bring them all to market like any other vehicle decision. Some BMW die hards will buy it just because of brand loyalty. Those consumers weren't going to buy a Tesla anyway. Some will buy it because of cosmetics. Some will buy it because they just love having a dealer tell them what they should do and are subject to such sales pressure. A whole lot more, however, will compare the crap outta the options and likely go with Tesla based on objective measurables, chiefly battery efficiency. In any of the above events, an ICE (predominantly a BMW ICE) will not be on the road. Win-win.

there is a pattern here - announcements from competition seem to be coming out around Tesla earnings calls ;)
Yeah, the Ford CEO came out with a similar one the other day about "Catching Tesla" (after he got his raise) as well as Mercedes. Hyundai on the other hand doesn't talk about it, they just keep improving their BEV's and making more of them.

Oh well the more BEV's the better, but Tesla will always be years ahead of all of them.

My official reaction to this - as to so many similar statements in the past - is great, let's see it. More EV's is better. My less rational response is that consumers are going to treat BMW vs. Tesla when/if they bring them all to market like any other vehicle decision. Some BMW die hards will buy it just because of brand loyalty. Those consumers weren't going to buy a Tesla anyway. Some will buy it because of cosmetics. Some will buy it because they just love having a dealer tell them what they should do and are subject to such sales pressure. A whole lot more, however, will compare the crap outta the options and likely go with Tesla based on objective measurables, chiefly battery efficiency. In any of the above events, an ICE (predominantly a BMW ICE) will not be on the road. Win-win.
Well stated Mr. Mouth!

Yeah, the Ford CEO came out with a similar one the other day about "Catching Tesla" (after he got his raise) as well as Mercedes. Hyundai on the other hand doesn't talk about it, they just keep improving their BEV's and making more of them.

Oh well the more BEV's the better, but Tesla will always be years ahead of all of them.
This is actually a great point. Hyundai seems to be filling the economy price point very well. I'm also seeing more Polestars in my neighborhood, but don't see a bunch of Volvo claims about killing Tesla. The quieter the company the better the progress. You listening Toyota. I swear their promotional spending must double R&D.

On industrial robots:

If you had been paying attention to the videos of the Austin, Berlin and especially the Shanghai factories, you would have noticed that, yes, there are indeed Kuka robots there. There also are similar numbers of like-sized robots - a few more, a few fewer - from Fanuc and Leoni, plus many smaller ones whose names I have not determined or recognized.

To me, this demonstrates that, not surprisingly, each of those makers has particular strengths and niches, which in turn suggests that Tesla replacing them with a homegrown version would be a costly recipe of inefficiency.
Chinese companies bought Kuka before Tesla bought Grohman. No idea why the German government thought that was fine, but that probably is why you find more in Shanghai and why homegrown industrial robots will become a reality at Tesla with the Grohman team and IP.

• Informative
Reactions: Mike Ambler
Elon said 2022 is chips, and then 2023 is batteries. Video of him talking about it at Berlin (7 minute timestamp it starts):
Imo the big question is how the bottle neck will change from the covid lockdowns in Shanghai. Will chips still be the limiting factor in 2022? Did the lockdowns not affect chips? If so then Q3 and Q4 production numbers are gonna be insane as they catch up with the temporary chip buffer that was created in Q2. If not then production is now (temporarily) the limiting factor.

This is actually a great point. Hyundai seems to be filling the economy price point very well. I'm also seeing more Polestars in my neighborhood, but don't see a bunch of Volvo claims about killing Tesla. The quieter the company the better the progress. You listening Toyota. I swear their promotional spending must double R&D.
In answer to the legacy company's claims, I hereby quote an old Smiley Lewis song, "I hear you knocking, but you can't come in."

Oh yeah, Dave Edmunds did a pretty good job of it as well...

Tesla didn't need to buy Panasonic.... ;)

Did you see Jordan Giesige's latest "Cyber Rodeo" video? He shows images and discusses how Tesla is already modifying their Gigapresses to increase output by improving the thermal control with heat exchangers and an insulated stainless steel bottle "heat sink". Of course, heat transfer from the aluminum castings is The Limiting Factor.
Saw that.

My thinking is Tesla would not want such a critical component to be outsourced to a single provider.

They didn’t buy Panasonic, but they are now making their own cells in-house and source from other providers.

Chinese companies bought Kuka before Tesla bought Grohman. No idea why the German government thought that was fine, but that probably is why you find more in Shanghai and why homegrown industrial robots will become a reality at Tesla with the Grohman team and IP.
That takeover did cause a flurry of activity in Germany; my recollection is that the response was a strong tightening of premitted foreign acquisitions.

Good god the new beemers are hideous!
😳
istockphoto-499029339-612x612.jpg

This is pretty funny:

When BMW or Ford can produce hundreds of thousands of EVs per quarter with the COGS and margins Tesla has, they can claim Tesla’s dominance is over.

Until then it is just Bloviating.

Imo the big question is how the bottle neck will change from the covid lockdowns in Shanghai. Will chips still be the limiting factor in 2022? Did the lockdowns not affect chips? If so then Q3 and Q4 production numbers are gonna be insane as they catch up with the temporary chip buffer that was created in Q2. If not then production is now (temporarily) the limiting factor.
I will refer you back to a previous post by @StarFoxisDown! that answered almost the same question I had on April 6th, so it sounds like it might be possible to "catch up" after the shutdown and have insane Q3 and Q4 numbers... see below:

Because the main limiting supply part for the past year and continues to be are chips. The chip makers across Asia and even China are not affected by what happening mostly in the Shanghai area. I’ve seen a couple reports now of chip makers stockpiling supply. It even states that in the report that Gary linked in his Twitter post.