Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
15-20 by then would require a steep ramp, though (avg. 2.2/yr for 20)?

Ok… I’m going to walk back my previous comment. I think what he was referring to was total global cell production capacity (not just Tesla, the whole industry).

In context when asked about supply of raw materials and Lithium:

QUESTION: How quickly can raw material supply be built? Because my understanding, it takes many years to build that out, so are we just sort of facing … When do you think we see a lithium shortage or a nickel shortage? And is there even enough time to build that sort of mining capacity in place?

DREW: … Some of what’s going on in the lithium market this year doesn’t actually have truth to bear to them, like fundamentals of supply and demand, which is also a little frustrating. But yeah, if we look past this year or next year into 2030 when we need 15 to 20 terawatt-hours of this stuff to stay on the growth trajectory we’re on, we need everybody to do more in the lithium space than they currently are. I don’t know if that answers the question.

I think when he is saying “We” here he is referring to the whole industry’s requirement.

The comment is pretty lengthy and it’s missing some context. I think I captured it here, but full context is in spoiler.

Colin Langan: (53:20)
Yeah, perfect. Just a follow up. Sorry to keep going on the raw material issue on the battery side, but obviously seems pretty important. How quickly can raw material supply be built? Because my understanding, it takes many years to build that out, so are we just sort of facing … When do you think we see a lithium shortage or a nickel shortage? And is there even enough time to build that sort of mining capacity in place? And then related, how quickly can you switch to like LFP for the nickel issue?

Drew: (53:49)
Yeah, I mean, LFP question. It says so in our letter, but half of our products were LFP last quarter, which shows how quickly we were able to respond to … Well, honestly it wasn’t because of a raw material shortage but just because it seemed like the right thing to do. We could change our cathode chemistry.

Drew: (54:11)
And there’s more to be done on the cathode side, and we are actively pursuing it to give us substitution flexibility and response to market conditions between the other cathodes that are out there that can be competitive in our vehicles, of which there are many options.

Drew: (54:28)
I guess what I would say is specifically on the cathode side, flexibility is the way we’re going to achieve this. And not all of the materials that go into cathodes are actually, first of all, hard to secure, through mining or refining, and second of all, in many cases, are very plentiful already, like huge scale. If all of the batteries in the world used those cathodes, it’s less than a 1% increase in total annual output. So that’s the cathode side.

Drew: (55:03)
I think Elon already spent a lot of time talking about lithium. It really depends on the resource. Some resources, like just getting rocks out of the ground, expanding the amount of rocks that you’re getting out of the ground is maybe a little bit of paperwork and some additional blasting and trucking operations. The refining is maybe where it’s a little bit more chunky to bring it online. But also the refining doesn’t … It’s not like an oil refinery. It’s a much, much smaller operation to refine lithium out of spodumene or liquid, like a brine or a salt pond evaporation.

Drew: (55:42)
So you’re talking about a time scale of one to two years. It’s not like we haven’t been talking to all of the lithium suppliers out there for many years. They have a lot of projects already in the pipeline to come online this year and next.

Drew: (55:58)
Some of what’s going on in the lithium market this year doesn’t actually have truth to bear to them, like fundamentals of supply and demand, which is also a little frustrating. But yeah, if we look past this year or next year into 2030 when we need 15 to 20 terawatt-hours of this stuff to stay on the growth trajectory we’re on, we need everybody to do more in the lithium space than they currently are. I don’t know if that answers the question.

Source Tesla Q1 Earnings Call 2022 Transcript

What the Optimus bots should be trained to do is the following:

Driver pulls up to supercharger stall
If driver is 'not capable of backing up tesla straight into supercharging stall'
Flag down Optimus and Optimus will get into your Tesla and do it for you

I am sure this will solve a lot of tesla drivers being unable to back up their Teslas in a straight line.

Like if you feel my pain when going to supercharge! :)
They probably also won't hit the wrong pedal and end up in a GYM as well.

Not defending anyone, but the entire market is red. J. Powell opened his big fat stupid mouth again and mentioned a 50 bp rate hike for May. Precipitating a broad sell-off.
Yup... the macro environment sucks right now. Though I think the 50bps will end up being a positive. 50bps is pretty much priced and and whispers of 75bps have been coming out. Similar to March, I think we see a lot of relief when it is 'only' 50bps and the market will rally hard.

Not defending anyone, but the entire market is red. J. Powell opened his big fat stupid mouth again and mentioned a 50 bp rate hike for May. Precipitating a broad sell-off.

Perfectly rational thing to do IMO, and likely at least somewhat TSLA related. GOOG earnings are Tuesday and TSLA already announced monster earnings. The oil sector is riding high yet about to plummet. Perfect time to drop an unwelcome but necessary update if you ask me.

TSLA earnings are shooting straight up, it won't be ignored. I'm actually thinking of going to zero shares, converting all to LEAPs and Nov calls(to get me past at least 3Q earnings).

It's just slightly less shorting the MM's have to do. Doesn't mean they didn't have to naked short all morning and unwind Mon/Tues.

Supercharger construction according to www.supercharge.info shows 103 sites currently in some stage of construction just inside the USA+North America region. That means 103 crews working simultaneously to create those sites. (I'm ignoring the total # stalls) That's definitely more than I've ever seen. Years ago I was impressed when I saw 30 sites under simultaneous construction. I've often wondered how they find the people who do this for a living, and what would they have been working on had Tesla not existed!
It's hard to trust the accuracy of the construction status. Lots of those listed as under construction are actually open.

What the Optimus bots should be trained to do is the following:

Driver pulls up to supercharger stall
If driver is 'not capable of backing up tesla straight into supercharging stall'
Flag down Optimus and Optimus will get into your Tesla and do it for you

I am sure this will solve a lot of tesla drivers being unable to back up their Teslas in a straight line.

Like if you feel my pain when going to supercharge! :)

I’d prefer they just added a feature to do the same to the cars themselves. Then I wouldn’t have to stand outside in the rain while the robot parks my car.

It would be super nice if while you are charging Optimus cleaned the windshield and all of the cameras. I seem to end up with occluded cameras quite a bit.

Ok… I’m going to walk back my previous comment. I think what he was referring to was total global cell production capacity (not just Tesla, the whole industry).

In context when asked about supply of raw materials and Lithium:

I think when he is saying “We” here he is referring to the whole industry’s requirement.

The comment is pretty lengthy and it’s missing some context. I think I captured it here, but full context is in spoiler.

Colin Langan: (53:20)
Yeah, perfect. Just a follow up. Sorry to keep going on the raw material issue on the battery side, but obviously seems pretty important. How quickly can raw material supply be built? Because my understanding, it takes many years to build that out, so are we just sort of facing … When do you think we see a lithium shortage or a nickel shortage? And is there even enough time to build that sort of mining capacity in place? And then related, how quickly can you switch to like LFP for the nickel issue?

Drew: (53:49)
Yeah, I mean, LFP question. It says so in our letter, but half of our products were LFP last quarter, which shows how quickly we were able to respond to … Well, honestly it wasn’t because of a raw material shortage but just because it seemed like the right thing to do. We could change our cathode chemistry.

Drew: (54:11)
And there’s more to be done on the cathode side, and we are actively pursuing it to give us substitution flexibility and response to market conditions between the other cathodes that are out there that can be competitive in our vehicles, of which there are many options.

Drew: (54:28)
I guess what I would say is specifically on the cathode side, flexibility is the way we’re going to achieve this. And not all of the materials that go into cathodes are actually, first of all, hard to secure, through mining or refining, and second of all, in many cases, are very plentiful already, like huge scale. If all of the batteries in the world used those cathodes, it’s less than a 1% increase in total annual output. So that’s the cathode side.

Drew: (55:03)
I think Elon already spent a lot of time talking about lithium. It really depends on the resource. Some resources, like just getting rocks out of the ground, expanding the amount of rocks that you’re getting out of the ground is maybe a little bit of paperwork and some additional blasting and trucking operations. The refining is maybe where it’s a little bit more chunky to bring it online. But also the refining doesn’t … It’s not like an oil refinery. It’s a much, much smaller operation to refine lithium out of spodumene or liquid, like a brine or a salt pond evaporation.

Drew: (55:42)
So you’re talking about a time scale of one to two years. It’s not like we haven’t been talking to all of the lithium suppliers out there for many years. They have a lot of projects already in the pipeline to come online this year and next.

Drew: (55:58)
Some of what’s going on in the lithium market this year doesn’t actually have truth to bear to them, like fundamentals of supply and demand, which is also a little frustrating. But yeah, if we look past this year or next year into 2030 when we need 15 to 20 terawatt-hours of this stuff to stay on the growth trajectory we’re on, we need everybody to do more in the lithium space than they currently are. I don’t know if that answers the question.

Source Tesla Q1 Earnings Call 2022 Transcript

I think when he says "we" there he means Tesla, as in

Cars
Trucks
Semis
robotaxis
robots
powerwalls
megapacks

all of that in 2030 if they scale like they want will need 15 to 20 terawatt-hours

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Well, we have been successful manipulated to where yesterday doesn't even exist as far as tsla stock price goes...We are equivalent to the day before yesterday, thus far today, with only a couple of hours remaining. Let's hope for a revival to finish the week...

Well, if you bought the dip yesterday and sold the pop this morning, it's a very sweet day. I also bought some puts near the top but sold them WAYYYY too early.

Apropos of no particular comment above, yet related to all the well-deserved excited posts about incredible Q1 results and future directions, I would like to reiterate a simple point:
This year Tesla must make hundreds of thousands of Model Y's, relatively cheaply.
In all seriousness.
That is all they really have to do to win the era.
Tesla is on target to do that, and do it in spades, with style. These Model Y's will crush the ICE competition. They will crowd out poor EV competition and award small ribbons to the few decent EV competitors as "also-ran"'s. They will open the eyes of hundreds of thousands of new customers and their friends and families and coworkers. They will spark widespread demand for true and decent charger coverage - everywhere. They will be the beefy quadriceps of progress pressing us into a promised paradise of cleaner, cheaper, non-petrostate-dependent transport.
Mark my words folks. Everything else is gravy.

10-Day Moving Avg: Check.

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-04-21.14-49.png

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420