Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to turn this subtopic from (potentially) politics to its close argumentative brother, philosophy: Elon here may well be referring to the philosophy of "longtermism" (yes, really it's a thing). Very difficult to summarize but here is one in-depth description and take on the philosophy for those with such a bent and the attention span to read a few pages:

Longtermism essay

TL;DR Very hard to summarize without butchering. I'll just overview an upside and potential downside (as most philosophies have) from the essay. Apologies in advance for oversimplifying. Potential upside: we should strive for maximum spread+achievement of earth-based life over timescale of billions of years / lifetime of the universe. Potential downside: the ends justify the means, basically. Mass human suffering in the short term barely registers if it gets us to the long term / big scale.

Disclaimer: I found this essay useful. It associates Elon and some other big names and big money with this philosophy. I do not know Elon's personal philosophy at this moment in time, nor am I attempting to say that his possible attachment to this one is good or bad. I wrote this post to try to add some depth to the frequent snapshots of Elon's thinking that we often see here.

Longtermism (short-term pain for long-term gain) sounds very similar to HODLing, doesn't it? ;)

"President Joe Biden declared a 24-month tariff exemption for solar panel products from several Southeast Asian nations, and announced the use of the Defense Production Act to promote domestic production."

Edit: I just checked Tesla.com order page for solar roof and panels, ~20-25% decrease in price.

Nice map, but not seeing any planned locations on that map.

I see some that are in light gray. For example

Screen Shot 2022-06-06 at 7.45.07 AM.png

"President Joe Biden declared a 24-month tariff exemption for solar panel products from several Southeast Asian nations, and announced the use of the Defense Production Act to promote domestic production."

Edit: I just checked Tesla.com order page for solar roof and panels, ~20-25% decrease in price.
Don’t see any decrease for my area.

Below is a Barrons article by Al Root that questions if Tesla will have a free cash flow issue in Q2.
Does Tesla Have a ‘Free Cash Flow’ Problem? What It Would Mean for the Stock.

The article references a report put out by Pierre Ferragu that includes the following:

“Will Tesla burn cash in the second quarter,” is a question New Street Research analyst Pierre Ferragu asked in a Monday report.
“Cash out for payables relating to [costs] of the previous quarter” is an indirect impact that Ferragu sees.
Ferragu also believes Tesla is likely to only break even in terms of free cash flow, a far more downbeat view than the $1.3 billion consensus figure.

Pierre is one of the better analysts out there but I'm still surprised by his downbeat expectations for FCF. Does @The Accountant or any of the other financial modellers have any comment on expectations for FCF for Q2? We can expect deliveries to be down on expectations (particularly if analysts don't update) but it would be a shock to see FCF down that much.

And what company is doing the best at actual winning? and has no debt? and has a huge backlog of orders? and keeps getting free money/advertising from competitors to build/expand production?

“This paradigm shift at some point will bring in a new cycle,” he said. “It’s been so long since we’ve had to consider what a world is like with real interest rates and real cost of capital that will distinguish winning companies from losing companies, winning stocks from losing stocks.”

Meh. It's in a lot of people's interest(media and pandemic consultants included) to keep sounding the alarm here. I'm just not buying it.

And wasn't nearly all of that map green? And the only China number that can't be fudged, "time in port", was green across the board.

I'm pretty sure the motive for CNBC to make that "exciting" heat map wasn't to inform their viewers! I assume it is most likely an act of deception.
The entire world is more "fake" than I've ever seen it!

Jimi was onto this trend early when he said, "As you all know, you just can't believe everything you see and hear, can you? Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be on my way."

And what company is doing the best at actual winning? and has no debt? and has a huge backlog of orders? and keeps getting free money/advertising from competitors to build/expand production?

“This paradigm shift at some point will bring in a new cycle,” he said. “It’s been so long since we’ve had to consider what a world is like with real interest rates and real cost of capital that will distinguish winning companies from losing companies, winning stocks from losing stocks.”
Lol.....I was just going to post this link making exactly the same point.

The timelines of this piece are no coincidence. Elon is literally creating the change and Tesla will ride the momentum.

Massive cash flow and growth right at the beginning of this 12-24 month transition period where winners must be chosen and the Ubers of the world can't just burn hundreds of millions every quarter.

This timing should be perfect for TSLA. Get up and out of this SP range and flow into thougher times as a profits beast. * tougher times for equity markets, not people or the real economy

Edit: As a side thought....anyone else moving their chances of TSLA becoming the first $5T company far higher the last 3 weeks?. I'm at about 50/50 now.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the motive for CNBC to make that "exciting" heat map wasn't to inform their viewers! I assume it is most likely an act of deception.
The entire world is more "fake" than I've ever seen it!

Jimi was onto this trend early when he said, "As you all know, you just can't believe everything you see and hear, can you? Now, if you'll excuse me, I must be on my way."
If I'm the port director in Savannah and you ask me if pandemic supply issues are still hindering the performance of the port, I'ma be like.....

giphy.gif

Because it sure as *sugar* ain't my fault!

I hear this “mega charger in highway routes” argument a lot but I’d like to bring up a more interesting perspective, considering that teslas semi team recently presented at Whartons annual innovation conference.

It looks like tesla will start by selling a lot of short range trucks. In that scenario, they would get recharged not on the way from point A to point B, but rather at the different unloading/loading locations themselves. Time is money and the trucking world is dominated by economics, so the best way to save time is to never have to allocate time to “refueling” at all.

This is what I think will happen and presents a very strong economic case for the semi over traditional trucks. We also know Pepsi has charging stations being built at their locations.
We know Tesla plans on switching their own fleet to electric. Many Tesla showrooms are quite a distance from the Fremont Factory. For example they would need 2 chargers along the I5 corridor just to service Portland and Seattle. Likely their distribution center in Lathrop will have one, but I'm betting another near the base of the Grapevine so they can service LA, San Diego, and Arizona.

I do think the initial focus will be short haul, but I doubt they will do short haul exclusively for long.

UK: I've posted a few times info from a dealer discount email I get. I like to see sentiment changes over time.

Only 4 EVs listed from 50 plus models. Low rates of discount, highest is Jaguar I-Pace at 8.5%, others 4-5% discount. This contrasts with ICE that are generally 7-18.5% discount.

This has changed over time, ID3s & other EVs had big discounts in the past, now no ID3, only 1 ID4 -
VW ID.4 128kW Life Pro 77kWh 5dr Auto [135kW Ch] £40,880 Save 5%
Audi Q4 E-Tron 150kW 40 82.77kWh S Line 5dr Auto [C+S] * £48,798 Save 4.5%

No doubt in my mind that EVs are winning over ICE.

I saw my first Genesis EV the other day, not a brand that's well known in UK (Kia/Hyundai?)

SMMT UK car data for May 2022 has been released: - Car Registrations

12.4% for EVs in May (14% Jan-May), few Tesla deliveries. Other Imports (Tesla plus oddities) - only 158 cars in May, contrasting with Jan-May of 16,387.

S-curve gotta S-curve - just dampened by China covid lockdown effects on Teslas to UK

1654528410482.png

Edit: Adding in a hypothetical 4000 Teslas for May, would be 19448 out of 124-127k ie 15.3+%.

Breaching 15% - (if including non-lockdown deliveries). That's a massive step forward.

Last edited:
True currently when all available tesla models are sedans but dominating the truck market starting next year will require expanded supercharger options in large parts of most non-coastal states. I've had a cybertruck on order since day 1 but if it were available today I wouldn't get one because it wouldn't be usable in the remote areas I hunt and do field research & it wouldn't be convenient for farmers and ranchers in most of the Rocky Mountain & Great Plains states. It will undoubtedly change eventually but right now the supercharger map doesn't even show plans for many future Superchargers in these areas as is common elsewhere.
I do a fair bit of back country driving and camping. This is why I think Solar is so important on the Cybertruck. Long trips away from power are impractical at the moment with each night zapping a bit of juice. You can very easily end up losing 50-100 miles of range from that alone on a longer trip. If the solar array were to instead add just a few miles a day to the trip meter, you could push to the full extent of the range. Instead of each day of your trip reducing your range, each additional day increases your range a small amount.

For me, it's the huge parts of eastern Oregon, Nevada, and Washington which are Supercharger deserts.

Eventually, Superchargers will need to be as common as gas stations if EVs are going to replace ICE vehicles. That means Superchargers every ~50 miles or so even on the less travelled highways.

I do think the initial focus will be short haul, but I doubt they will do short haul exclusively for long.
They likely will until cell supply is no longer an issue. They are going to target the 80+% of the freight hauled in the US as they showed in the Wharton Innovation conference:

1651765961392-png.800793

It just happens to be better for the mission as well:

1651765936563-png.800791

Along with hiring litigators, maybe Elon needs to have a few folks who monitor the option market rigorously.
They should give him an update on weekly stakes MM's have on the line, and approx. the naked shorts using some data driven approach. When MM's have a lot to lose, they are more incentivized to distort news.
(+ also announce a buyback ... when ever oversold, naked short conditions arise just buy some stocks per the announced plan ... once MM's lose a few times, they will be less prone to these tactics)

Has anyone released the email to executives regarding the "super bad feeling about the economy" ?

Looking ahead to tomorrow .. maybe my lotto plays will cover upcoming vacation expenses ;)
But where could he ever find anyone with such unique expertise??!!? /s

They likely will until cell supply is no longer an issue. They are going to target the 80+% of the freight hauled in the US as they showed in the Wharton Innovation conference:

1651765961392-png.800793

It just happens to be better for the mission as well:

1651765936563-png.800791
I am fully on board with this being their primary focus.

But Tesla has also said specifically they plan to migrate their own fleet to electric. Tesla requires a lot of long haul themselves.

They very much want to hit carbon neutral/ negative themselves. Converting their own fleet first could very well help them bootstrap the mega charger network before they have third party demand.