Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The "noise" about Elon's stock sale seems like just that, noise. He sold 8 million shares while owning 193 million shares, or about 4% of his holdings. More important, he's not "dumping" because he sees the company tanking and is getting out while he can; he's freeing up his cash for another acquisition. Why all the drama? He doesn't have billions of cash sitting in the bank, nearly all his wealth in his shares. When he needs cash, he sells shares, just like anyone else living off his investments.

Sort of.

I suspect they are creating a leveraged position the same way many of us do, by buying calls. It’s not the same but you can fairly easily achieve a 2:1 leveraged position just by buying LEAPs. You can see the attached snap from my portfolio. I get a little under 2:1 leverage on my calls.

If they want to more closely simulate the share price, I suspect they might run shorter expiration dates.

In a way these are synthetic shares. Options volume definitely pushes the SP like a leaf on the wind at times.

View attachment 839269
it's a leveraged etf. it's usually not buying options but using borrowed money to create the leverage, and resets daily.

I have not looked at the mechanics of this particular etf, but in general leveraged etfs are a bad idea. These are designed for day trading or really short days.

Are you people just trying to make @Krugerrand crazy? Because I don't think we want to see a cat clawing at the ceiling and scratching people's eyes out.

Elon stated this last sale was for a contingency where the sale got forced AND investors backed out. This "article" mistakenly implies he'd need to run out and sell $22.4B in additional shares. That is clearly not the case.
This is what's not making sense to me.

Isn't financing the one contingency that Elon put into the TWTR stock purchase agreement? If so, couldn't he back out of the deal if financing falls through? Can the court require him to go through with the purchase even if private equity financing falls through? Or is it case where Elon is selling more shares because he is concerned about financing yet he still wants to complete the purchase?

That's not how it works. Elon's shares were bought by someone else so there is still ownership of those shares. With normal buy/sell stock transactions there is a seller of the share and a buyer of the share. What you are talking about would be a stock buyback but Tesla has not bought back any shares.

For the stock split there will be additional shares issues (with no owner). When the split happens each current owner of a share will be given those additional shares that are un-owned.
Nevermind, I found what it was: Tesla (TSLA) boosts its cash further with $5B share sale ahead of S&P 500 inclusion

Tesla did a capital raise shortly before S&P inclusion...not shortly before the split last time.

Lucid is asking their reservation order from "reservation" to "order" to keep the $7500. They are also forcing people to upgrade to their premium sound for $2900

This past weekend, the Senate passed the Inflation Reduction Act, which eliminates the $7,500 tax credit for sedans with an MSRP over $55,000. This means that if the bill is enacted, Lucid Air will no longer qualify for this tax credit. The House is expected to vote on the bill this Friday, August 12.

Many of you have asked what we can do to help you maintain your eligibility for this tax credit.*

The current text of the bill includes a “transition rule,” which may maintain eligibility for Lucid customers who enter into a contract to purchase their Lucid Air before the bill is signed. We’ve decided to help reservation holders take advantage of the transition rule by opening a window to place an order for their Lucid Air. This window is now open, and will remain so until 12 a.m. the morning the bill is passed, which could be as soon as this Friday.

To be completely clear, you don’t have to place an order now and your reservation will remain in place — we’re doing this to help those who want to do everything possible to maintain eligibility for the federal tax credit. If you don’t wish to place an order now, you’ll still have the opportunity to do so closer to your vehicle’s production date. Please note that placing an order now will not alter the expected delivery timelines for Touring and Pure.

However, if you decide to place an order now, please understand you’ll be entering into a contract, and your deposit will become non-refundable.

To place your order, log into your Lucid account, go to your “Designs and Orders” tab, identify the relevant reservation and click the “Order” button. A pop-up window will appear where you can again click “Confirm this order” to complete the process.
Order your Air
As always, thanks for dreaming ahead with us.

The Lucid Team

The "noise" about Elon's stock sale seems like just that, noise. He sold 8 million shares while owning 193 million shares, or about 4% of his holdings. More important, he's not "dumping" because he sees the company tanking and is getting out while he can; he's freeing up his cash for another acquisition. Why all the drama? He doesn't have billions of cash sitting in the bank, nearly all his wealth in his shares. When he needs cash, he sells shares, just like anyone else living off his investments.
I agree with this except that he also has the option of using margin credit with his TSLA (or SpaceX/Boring/Neuralink) equity as collateral and I believe I remember reading that he’s funded most of his expenses this way over the years. Considering his net wealth relative to his spending, I’d have to imagine he’s nowhere close to his limit on his margin loan(s).

Earlier in the Twitter acquisition negotiations, Elon had committed to using $12.5 billion in margin loan cash to help with securing funding. In May, he cancelled that plan (SEC 13D filing).

So maybe he had the option of revising the plan again to use margin instead of selling TSLA shares this week. I’m not sure as I’m not an expert on the law or corporate acquisitions, but if it was allowed before it seems likely it would’ve been allowed now and I doubt that the manner in which Elon sources cash would really matter to the negotiations.

I agree with this except that he also has the option of using margin credit with his TSLA (or SpaceX/Boring/Neuralink) equity as collateral and I believe I remember reading that he’s funded most of his expenses this way over the years. Considering his net wealth relative to his spending, I’d have to imagine he’s nowhere close to his limit on his margin loan(s).

Earlier in the Twitter acquisition negotiations, Elon had committed to using $12.5 billion in margin loan cash to help with securing funding. In May, he cancelled that plan (SEC 13D filing).

So maybe he had the option of revising the plan again to use margin instead of selling TSLA shares this week. I’m not sure as I’m not an expert on the law or corporate acquisitions, but if it was allowed before it seems likely it would’ve been allowed now and I doubt that the manner in which Elon sources cash would really matter to the negotiations.

Would it be possible if the Twitter BoD or an investor (group) required Elon to have it be source from TSLA?

This is what's not making sense to me.

Isn't financing the one contingency that Elon put into the TWTR stock purchase agreement? If so, couldn't he back out of the deal if financing falls through? Can the court require him to go through with the purchase even if private equity financing falls through? Or is it case where Elon is selling more shares because he is concerned about financing yet he still wants to complete the purchase?
It's my understanding that some of the financing is only an obligation if at the original price. If Elon settles for a slightly lower sale price, I believe some investors have the right to walk.

I would imagine Elon already knows exactly who would possibly walk and has now covered a worst case scenario.

Yes. And April he said that he has no plans to further sells. Yet he sold.
Yes, he had no plans for additional sales in April. This is August, circumstances have shifted dramatically.

Perhaps we can take all Twitter related trolling to the Twitter thread? People can throw their hisssy fits over there.

I went for a scan today and in the hospital car park there were 14 cars, 4 of which were Tesla Model 3s. Admittedly it was a private hospital.

Just as the USA is expanding the EV tax credit system, the UK has canned their's. Will be interesting to see if the huge take up of EVs in the UK I have witnessed over the last couple of years continues without the subsidy. I think I know the answer. Drivers are buying EVs not because there is a subsidy, but because they want an electric car.

As a reminder, the Model 3 was the second best selling car in the UK last year. That's all cars, not just electric.