Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't get the harm of acknowledging something exists... to me I'd rather know the BS out there instead of having my head in the sand. If the tape comes out and says institutional didn't sell, I'd very happy to be wrong.
I didn’t say there was harm in acknowledging. I embrace acknowledging, clearly. 🙄 I’ve been acknowledging the bs all along. That’s not what you’re doing.

YOU posted that institutional investors have lost confidence in Elon because of his recent stock selling and thus that’s why they are selling today.

Unequivocally, that’s a made up, fictitious line of bs and has nothing to do with acknowledging anything, so kindly don’t move the goalposts of the conversation.

Any institutions selling today, did so to make money from the volatility churn they are their buddies are responsible for creating and you enable it all by making up stories and/or repeating the stories they make up.

But hey, by all means name the names of the institutional investors you Zoomed with this morning, who told you that’s why they were selling today. Because I’ve actually talked to some of these people and they are lying sacs of Etrons.

I have an ignorant question. Last time there was a split announced, Tesla had to issue more shares to the market before the split (I am not sure the reason why they had to do so). Could Musk's sale been possibly partially linked to a similar requirement by the SEC or something? Since Musk sold a ton of shares to the market, Telsa no longer needs to issue more shares to the market?

Edit: or maybe it was when they were added to the S&P500 they had to issue more shares or something...
That's not how it works. Elon's shares were bought by someone else so there is still ownership of those shares. With normal buy/sell stock transactions there is a seller of the share and a buyer of the share. What you are talking about would be a stock buyback but Tesla has not bought back any shares.

For the stock split there will be additional shares issues (with no owner). When the split happens each current owner of a share will be given those additional shares that are un-owned.

• Helpful
Reactions: Christine69420
I didn’t say there was harm in acknowledging. I embrace acknowledging, clearly. 🙄 I’ve been acknowledging the bs all along. That’s not what you’re doing.

YOU posted that institutional investors have lost confidence in Elon because of his recent stock selling and thus that’s why they are selling today.

Unequivocally, that’s a made up, fictitious line of bs and has nothing to do with acknowledging anything, so kindly don’t move the goalposts of the conversation.

Any institutions selling today, did so to make money from the volatility churn they are their buddies are responsible for creating and you enable it all by making up stories and/or repeating the stories they make up.

But hey, by all means name the names of the institutional investors you Zoomed with this morning, who told you that’s why they were selling today. Because I’ve actually talked to some of these people and they are lying sacs of Etrons.
Today is an assumption of mine based off patterns of Elon selling before, fair.... But here's the thing... We've seen it play out over the past 9, 12, 18+ months this way. And we can actually see this in the fact that institutional ownership in Tesla keeps trending down despite numerous reasons it should be up. As a percentage of outstanding shares (that's outstanding, not total) Tesla has decreased in institutional ownership from 63.99% in June 2020 and 54.91% in December 2020 to 49.33% in June. On total shares the last required filings had it 41.98% and the estimated with the known sales and buys has it currently at 40.64% (with a net outflow of 800k shares recently). The number of holders has dropped from nearly 2700 to under 2300 now (EDIT: read this one wrong it is about 2500, a little more... 2300 buyers in the last 12 months). In Q2, the inflow was 2.1b, but the outflow was 2.4b.

There is a lot data out there that institutional ownership in Tesla is dropping.

Last edited:
I switched from TSLA to TSLL during the MMD (Daily TSLA Bull 1.5X Shares). I'll switch back in 2 weeks after the split.
This may work out fine, but remember these ALL (afaik) reset daily. Which means you won't see a 1.5x return outside of an intraday trade.

Be careful with these new single stock ETFs one and all!

While I hate to post articles from SA, this is a very informative and quite positive one regarding Tesla battery successes down under, definitely worth a read:

Edit: My apologies, already posted by JRP3... but we can't get enough of good news, even if it's from SA...

Last edited:
I have an ignorant question. Last time there was a split announced, Tesla had to issue more shares to the market before the split (I am not sure the reason why they had to do so). Could Musk's sale been possibly partially linked to a similar requirement by the SEC or something? Since Musk sold a ton of shares to the market, Telsa no longer needs to issue more shares to the market?

Edit: or maybe it was when they were added to the S&P500 they had to issue more shares or something...
The shareholder meeting authorized the necessary share count.

The only share requirement I know would be to have over a billion to be in the DOW. As an industrial index TSLA should most definitely be in the DOW as the most important industrial company in the world, but the DOW has other stupid requirements like what the share price is, so who cares.

There are no requirements on anyone to sell shares because of the split.

Absolutely. I'm such an idiot sometimes- maybe I was up too late last night...I just realized that I couldn't see that reply anywhere organically on my feed. Even when I read Elon's tweets and replies! I only saw it posted here and because it was clickable link from TMC, I was able to see it that way. Went looking for it twice last night trying to find it again for my screenshot and didn't put 2 and 2 together....I actually had to find the TMC link again in order to screenshot it for my post. Duh. How obvious and yet it went unnoticed even though I was making that point!
Follow @EveryElonReply on Twitter and you will get them all.

Not all bots are bad

If you're thinking that Elon is doing anything that isn't 100% focused on the mission of sustainable energy/transport and becoming a multi-planetary species, then you'll have huge wake up calls at any given moment...as he is helming companies which are disrupting $10+ trillion in energy, transportation and communication. You think they'll release their hold on that revenue/profit easily or without a dirty long fight?

He does make mistakes, he does react emotionally from time to time, he is hugely optimistic about creating the impossible and is classifiable as a human (contrary to popular belief)...a uniquely extraordinary one.

After about 10 meetings with him over the course of 2 months, I came to realize that he is WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) and nothing more than the above.

How did you reach the conclusion that Elon single-handedly torpedoed the stock with Twitter?

The entire market crashed in April. The NASDAQ fell 27% from April 1st to mid-June. TSLA’s beta is about 2.1, so the baseline expectation should’ve been TSLA falling ~57%, which is almost exactly what happened. Even the shape of the charts shows strong correlation between wider market moves and TSLA.

View attachment 839131

For all the complaining about TSLA underperforming its beta, I can’t find any actual evidence of that on a time scale long enough to have statistical significance. For instance, the chart above shows the NASDAQ is actually down *more* than TSLA in the last six months.
Musk is responsible for EEEVVVEEERRRYTHING! He caused that too.

EDIT: 2daMoon ninja'd me.

• Funny
Reactions: hoang51 and 2daMoon
While I hate to post articles from SA, this is a very informative and quite positive one regarding Tesla battery successes down under, definitely worth a read:
It was posted a page or two ago. And I'm pretty sure this story itself is a couple months old.

SA must just be "picking up on it now" for some convenient and no doubt monetized reason.

No SA links is a good guideline!

Happy birthday.....hold and buy more!
Turning out to be a good one! Thanks to everyone at Tesla and TMC for working so hard to keep me fully TSLA vested.

Let's Go!

1660155977417.png

Good summary of the Wall St narrative on Elon's sale and twitter overhang on Tesla shares

"That leaves $22.4 billion he’d need to fund the remaining equity commitments, assuming his partners don’t back out. Musk hinted that this is “hopefully unlikely,” but if they did it would leave him on the hook for $29.5 billion."

"That leaves $22.4 billion he’d need to fund the remaining equity commitments, assuming his partners don’t back out. Musk hinted that this is “hopefully unlikely,” but if they did it would leave him on the hook for $29.5 billion."
Are you people just trying to make @Krugerrand crazy? Because I don't think we want to see a cat clawing at the ceiling and scratching people's eyes out.

Elon stated this last sale was for a contingency where the sale got forced AND investors backed out. This "article" mistakenly implies he'd need to run out and sell $22.4B in additional shares. That is clearly not the case.

To me , seeing Elon selling stock is a good thing. Please remember that he has minimal income and finances his life with loans. By now this has to be a huge overhang on his financial situation. Personally, I don’t think he needs to control such a high percentage of the float to protect Tesla anymore, so moving to a more conservative financial position is prudent, both for him and for Tesla. Also, remember that he is restricted from disclosing sales other than by the legal channels proscribed. As for me, I will be happy to see him making more sales in the future to reduce his loan balances. As for all the furor, “ An asset is worth what you can sell it for on the day you absolutely have to sell it” Bernard Baruch.