Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is interesting

Really?

Signing a binding order agreement does not guarantee vehicle pricing

Well that isn't much of a contract. Binding on you, but we can do whatever we want...

So besides possibly getting the tax credit what do you get for making your deposit non-refundable?

Would it be possible if the Twitter BoD or an investor (group) required Elon to have it be source from TSLA?
I have no idea. That would be useful to know.

In general I think Elon could use margin to avoid ever selling TSLA shares while he’s alive. He could keep borrowing against the huge and increasing equity value and then when he dies his estate would finally sell shares to pay off the loan with the rest of the shares then donated to charity. Additionally, if Tesla ever pays dividends in his lifetime then he’ll also get cash from that.

If my understanding is accurate then Elon has a choice between debt and asset sales to get cash for spending, so selling TSLA now is a choice rather than an unavoidable need. I believe this also applies to those of us who aren’t billionaires.

Yes. And April he said that he has no plans to further sells. Yet he sold.
Things change sometimes.

And since Elon hasn't liquidated 100% of his TSLA stake, at some point in the future (hopefully long into the future) he'll sell a lot more. Saying "I'll never sell any more" wouldn't make sense.

....it allows customers to qualify for the EV tax credit for a $80k+ vehicle.
They use the term from the bill 'binding'... I do not think it means what they think it means...

Binding vs. Non-Binding Contracts - LawDepot Blog
A binding contract typically includes key elements that make the contract valid, such as:

• Offer and acceptance. When one party presents something of value that they wish to exchange with another party for something else of value, that is an offer. Once value is offered, it must either accepted or declined.
  • Consideration. The benefit that both parties gain or receive is from the contact is generally the consideration, which can be monetary or even a service, object, or anything else that holds value.
  • Mutuality or intention. Simply put, this term means “meeting of the minds”, which is a phrase that means all the parties involved in the contract intend to create a valid, enforceable agreement.
  • Legality. In order for a contract to be valid, it must not contain unlawful promises or consideration. A common example of unlawful consideration is a promise to do something that is against the law, such as commit a crime.
  • Capacity. Capacity means that a person signing the contract has the legal ability to do so. For instance, a minor generally isn’t considered as having the capacity to legally sign a contract.

Generally, a contract is considered binding when it includes all of these elements, and doesn’t contain invalidating issues that could lead to things like undue influence, coercion, or duress.

Perhaps we can take all Twitter related trolling to the Twitter thread? People can throw their hisssy fits over there.

Pointing out that Elon made a foolish unforced error with this Twitter nonsense isn’t a hissy fit, it’s simple objective reality.

The hissy fits are being thrown by the ones who want to plug their ears and chant “ELON IS INHERENTLY INFALLIBLE” no matter what happens, and who are therefore annoyed by any mention of this fiasco.

Last edited:
Looks like according to finance.sina.ch Giga Berlin will soon be using BYD blade batteries end of Aug/beginning of Sep:

Another article on this:

Once again not clear usage of the word "battery". Wonder if they are delivering cells which are integrated into battery packs in Berlin or whole packs. I think the latter is unlikely because the pack needs to fit into the rest of the car and Tesla would have to give the plans to BYD.

On the other hand, AFAIK Tesla has never used blade cells in their packs at all and Berlin has not even built packs from cells so far, just got complete packs built from 2170 cells at Giga Shanghai.

Last edited:
"That leaves $22.4 billion he’d need to fund the remaining equity commitments, assuming his partners don’t back out. Musk hinted that this is “hopefully unlikely,” but if they did it would leave him on the hook for $29.5 billion."

Elon is not on the hook for $29.5B. That is factually incorrect.
Here are the details;

1660163906218.png

He has a shortfall of about $2.2B if he is forced to go with the $54.20 price offer. But he can easily get that from using Tesla stock as collateral or getting more outside investors. There is also the likelihood he negotiates a lower price.

Of the funding above:
- Elon's Cash is locked and loaded. He has this cash.
- The debt financing is committed from several banks using the Twitter shares as collateral.
- the $7.1B from Investor Friends may change but I understand their are other investors who are ready to come in if others back out.

The investors behind the $7.1B currently are:

1660163685007.png

Last edited:
- the $7.1B from Investor Friends may change but I understand their are other investors who are ready to come in if others back out.
Somehow I doubt there are big players clamoring to get in on a deal that even Elon himself doesn't want to do lol

And he shouldn't and they shouldn't, because Twitter isn't worth anything close to $54.20

Reactions: Drax7 and JRP3
Somehow I doubt there are big players clamoring to get in on a deal that even Elon himself doesn't want to do lol

And he shouldn't and they shouldn't, because Twitter isn't worth anything close to $54.20

Well, that's hard to say. Elon's record of amazing returns for investors speaks for itself. I think this whole thing was a fool's errand but if it closes I'll have to grab some Twitter stock and maybe grab a quick 2-4x once he makes some basic changes to the company.

For some investors, it may be about what it will be worth in 5 to 10 years based on Elon's plans.
We don't know Elon's plans but the investors do. Maybe there is a 10x at play even with a $54.20 entry price.

Pointing out that Elon made a foolish unforced error with this Twitter nonsense isn’t a hissy fit, it’s simple objective reality.

The hissy fits are being thrown by the ones who want to plug their ears and chant “ELON IS INHERENTLY INFALLIBLE” no matter what happens, and who are therefore annoyed by any mention of this fiasco.

It's not objective reality until the court says Elon made a mistake and/or we can look at it with years of hindsight.

It's purely too soon to tell if this is a good decision with a messy appearance or a bad decision with a messy appearance.

Anyone being truly objective is undecided at this point.