Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
  • Informative
Reactions: EVortex and traxila
"Fun" fact. I use JPM to place my trades [I know I know]. For both the recent GOOG and AMZN splits, the top of the order entry page told of the pending split for about a week or two before it happened, no matter what symbol you put in. There's no mention of the TSLA split, even when you put in the symbol TSLA.

I've got three symbols in my watchlist. My wife's retirement index, TSLA, and my retirement index. On days like today, I get the sneaking suspicion that both of our retirement index managers are shorting TSLA...

1661264635116.png

Good news, bad news

CFRA analyst Garrett Nelson called Tesla TSLA +1.63% (ticker: TSLA) the biggest winner in a recent research report. General Motors GM +0.77% (GM) and Ford MotorF +1.53% (F) also were called winners from the bill. That’s easy to understand. Most EVs produced by the trio will qualify for a $7,500 purchase tax credit. What’s more, Tesla sells the most EVs by a significant margin. The Model 3 and Model Y are the two bestselling EV models in the U.S.

Transportation companies using hydrogen are another set of winners from the Inflation Reduction Act. Those companies include NikolaNKLA +5.37% (NKLA), Plug Power (PLUG) and Cummins (CMI). The three companies have plans to use hydrogen gas as a fuel for heavy-duty trucking applications.

You mean to pay some of the income taxes on the ~290M shares (post-2nd split) he has earned via the 2018 CEO comp. plan?

BTW, @mongo and I have estimated Elon's future tax bill (at current SP) to total ~$45B. So Elon's got maybe 10% of that in cash right now.

TL;dr Elon is unlikely to be buying TSLA shares in the open market, whenever he decides to deploy capital back into Tesla.
So, Elon pays $44B for Twitter. Immediately shuts it down as unusable.

Takes a $44B tax write of against the $45B owed on options and ends up only owning $1B in taxes. This is a brilliant plan.

Gets rid of Elons taxes and lets the government pay for shutting down Twitter.

Granted I'm not up to date on the US tax system but sounds good to me.

I've got three symbols in my watchlist. My wife's retirement index, TSLA, and my retirement index. On days like today, I get the sneaking suspicion that both of our retirement index managers are shorting TSLA...

View attachment 844111
Those mutual funds likely don't trade intraday. Most everything is up today, granted TSLA is outperforming at the moment.

Bloomberg report:

“VW AIMS TO TAKE STAKES IN CANADIAN MINES, MINE OPERATORS - BOARD MEMBER SCHMALL TELLS HANDELSBLATT”

The land rush for minerals that qualify for the US EV tax credit has begun.
My wife was at a Supercharger yesterday (in Manitoba), and a guy in a truck pulled up beside her. He walked over and said, "You're probably tired of people asking you questions about Tesla, " (she isn't) and they had a conversation a bit different than our normal discussions. He wasn't really interested in buying one, but it sounded like he wanted to know how she liked Tesla because he was involved in lithium mining in Quebec and was pleased that his work was doing something meaningful. He had recently sold a mine in Quebec to Chinese interests, and apparently 100% of a mine he was familiar with in Manitoba gets shipped to China as well. I didn't even know we had lithium mining in Manitoba...

I haven't seen this posted before, and it seems like an easy and potentially useful recourse for those of us constantly incensed by market manipulation (more useful than just complaining)

Love this. Here is the text I sent, modified from above. If anyone wants to reuse it, feel free. I believe the more varied the language we all use in these complaints, the greater weight they will have:

This complaint is specifically against the ratings agencies Moody's and S&P Global Ratings. These companies have continued to rate Tesla's creditworthiness at Ba1 & BB+, essentially junk status, despite this company having some of the strongest financial performance of any company in the world, having nearly zero debt, enormous and growing operating cash flow, strong profitability, and a strong forward outlook, with billions of dollar in cash on hand. Because many funds that would be required by their bylaws to invest in Tesla, being a member of the S&P 500 and a trillion dollar company, are not able to do so based upon to the credit ratings assigned, one has to ask why these credit ratings are maintained. There is no rational reason for a junk credit rating for Tesla, and this decision leaves speculation as to why both Moody's and S&P Global Ratings, companies who's fraudulent ratings were integral to the 2008 financial collapse, refuse to upgrade Tesla based upon all objective measurements, to investment grate.

I request that the SEC:
1) inquire to both companies as to why they have not upgraded Tesla in line with the company's strong financial performance
2) Perform a formal investigation into the policies and procedures that have allowed for the seemingly intentional maintenance of Tesla's creditworthiness at a substantially lower level than objective measurements of the company's financial health justify.

So, Elon pays $44B for Twitter. Immediately shuts it down as unusable.

Takes a $44B tax write of against the $45B owed on options and ends up only owning $1B in taxes. This is a brilliant plan.

Gets rid of Elons taxes and lets the government pay for shutting down Twitter.

Granted I'm not up to date on the US tax system but sounds good to me.
That's... quite an interesting idea...
However, besides the fact that Elon is not personally covering the full purchase price, it would be a capital loss, not normal income, so it would not offset the gains dollar for dollar (more like 1:2.5 or so).

My wife was at a Supercharger yesterday (in Manitoba), and a guy in a truck pulled up beside her. He walked over and said, "You're probably tired of people asking you questions about Tesla, " (she isn't) and they had a conversation a bit different than our normal discussions. He wasn't really interested in buying one, but it sounded like he wanted to know how she liked Tesla because he was involved in lithium mining in Quebec and was pleased that his work was doing something meaningful. He had recently sold a mine in Quebec to Chinese interests, and apparently 100% of a mine he was familiar with in Manitoba gets shipped to China as well. I didn't even know we had lithium mining in Manitoba...

If you or your wife run into this guy again, get his info. Don't you remember hearing Elon say Lithium mining will be like printing money? We need someone with some Lithium mining experience if we are to design our own Lithium money printing press.

He's referring to the chase of 9's. No one will get a process to 100% perfect but you aim to get as close as possible. For instance, in IT, the gold standard is "five nines " of uptime, 99.999% uptime.
LOL..
You just explained to me what I was referring to when I postulated that the version should always end in a "9." So now I know you got it..I had already gotten it. Ants aren't that dumb.

Reactions: Drumheller
Love this. Here is the text I sent, modified from above. If anyone wants to reuse it, feel free. I believe the more varied the language we all use in these complaints, the greater weight they will have:
Submitted as a summary of those paragraphs to avoid the look of a mass email campaign. I made mine far simpler to make it look like I'm just a regular dumb retail investor. (this wasn't difficult for me )