Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Fun" fact. I use JPM to place my trades [I know I know]. For both the recent GOOG and AMZN splits, the top of the order entry page told of the pending split for about a week or two before it happened, no matter what symbol you put in. There's no mention of the TSLA split, even when you put in the symbol TSLA.
Just an oversight. 🙄

Love this. Here is the text I sent, modified from above. If anyone wants to reuse it, feel free. I believe the more varied the language we all use in these complaints, the greater weight they will have:
That’s actually super articulate. I don’t for a second believe anything will be done even if we inundate the SEC with complaints, but I appreciate the effort.

More importantly, I love imagining the person responsible for managing complaints having their mailbox full for days on end, and then the SEC server crashing.

More importantly, I love imagining the person responsible for managing complaints having their mailbox full for days on end, and then the SEC server crashing.
I see it clearly now: the SEC will blame these Musk cultists DDOS-ing their servers for the agencies inability to do any useful work...
So don't you guys dare to complain about the SEC not doing their job at eliminating market manipulation, when you are responsible for it all! ;)

European industry is really gonna get kicked in the mouth. Wholesale electricity prices in Europe:

Here is why the market is dropping so hard. Wholesale electricity prices in Europe are 60¢ per KWh… households could be paying $1/KWh soon!!!!!

This and $72/mbtu NG basically makes gigantic swaths or European industry completely uncompetitive no matter how far their currencies drop.
I showed my cousin (working at Uniper) .. and he replied that this is only a rookie view of things..
Check out
IMG_20220823_172526_383.jpg

That are the prices for energy on the spot market and futures..
If you want energy for 21 cents in 2026 you better order now 😅
Winter futures are at 70-80cents with no relief in sight.

Remember: Europe is basically 1 energy net - variations are mostly due to subsidies, co2-penalties, taxes, etc.

So... Short electricity for 2023 betting solar will bail us out? 😁

That's... quite an interesting idea...
However, besides the fact that Elon is not personally covering the full purchase price, it would be a capital loss, not normal income, so it would not offset the gains dollar for dollar (more like 1:2.5 or so).
Ok then. So it's capital loss. No one has ever been able to take a $44B tax write off since no ones ever been rich enough to have a $44B tax bill. But Elon at some point will. Not the options but regular shares sold to finance Mars.

He would probably have to do the full $44B himself since the co-financiers might not be so keen on this idea.

I assume a tax write off is usable for a number of years forward? So he really could buy Twitter, shut it down, and in the end get all the money back.

This plan gets better and better.

Maybe this is why Elon is firing all his lawyers? Because they can't come up with brilliant plans like this /S

Software for other manufacturers is going great:

Some quotes:
This is some serious clown level *sugar* from Hyundai. It's not bad enough that you can GTA their cars with a USB plug, but they also secured their firmware with the first example AES key? This is 10 levels of clown here, omg.

Happy birthday to me today :) I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank my TMC fam (Even those that i have on ignore) :) for all the great advice, laughs and $$$ we have accumulated holding $TSLA. The future is bright for the planet due to Elon's vision and it sure does not hurt to make some $$$ along the journey! Here's to many more splits and $TSLAQ funding our retirements!

Elon is all over this from the sound of it.

The disclosure, sent last month to Congress and federal agencies, paints a picture of a chaotic and reckless environment at a mismanaged company that allows too many of its staff access to the platform's central controls and most sensitive information without adequate oversight. It also alleges that some of the company's senior-most executives have been trying to cover up Twitter's serious vulnerabilities, and that one or more current employees may be working for a foreign intelligence service.
The whistleblower, who has agreed to be publicly identified, is Peiter "Mudge" Zatko, who was previously the company's head of security, reporting directly to the CEO.

Zatko further alleges that Twitter's leadership has misled its own board and government regulators about its security vulnerabilities, including some that could allegedly open the door to foreign spying or manipulation, hacking and disinformation campaigns. The whistleblower also alleges Twitter does not reliably delete users' data after they cancel their accounts, in some cases because the company has lost track of the information, and that it has misled regulators about whether it deletes the data as it is required to do. The whistleblower also says Twitter executives don't have the resources to fully understand the true number of bots on the platform, and were not motivated to. Bots have recently become central to Elon Musk's attempts to back out of a $44 billion deal to buy the company (although Twitter denies Musk's claims).

Can you say 'whistleblower'?

So we have SP being quite obviously capped at $885 here. Since everyone needs to have their naked short position at zero today..... aren't traders just safely assuming $900+ by EOD?

Logically this capping needs to be unwound today rather than the usual "whenever", no? I guess theoretically MM's could have a stockpile of shares bought from Elon to perform these moves, but I doubt it.

Additionally, the disclosures said that Twitter executives able to obtain bonuses linked to increases in the company’s count of daily active users but that they didn’t have explicit incentives to reduce spam or bot activity on the platform, according to the Washington Post. CNN highlighted that Zatko said Twitter “had no appetite to properly measure the prevalence of bots.”

Elon might get to buy TSLA shares after all ... ;) markets need to make a judgement and plan accordingly, before the actual judgement :)
Game set match!

Hey boaters... hey Tesla!

I just got an eMail from Candela (Swedish electric boat co) who claims to have partnered with Polestar for charging their electric boats at the lake. The Candela is out of my price range for a boat (~1/4M last I checked) but it's quite efficient bc of the hydrofoils that lift the boat out of the water. This makes them usable as a taxi service since range greatly increase due to lower water drag. But a low-cost runabout I have yet to find. Likely not until Cybertruck comes out, or maybe a trailer carrying batteries for the boat recharging. Can't wait to explore the water in quiet. Maybe have Ludicrous mode to pull me up out of the water.

"Give-er" as they say in Canada,
"Hit it" in the USA,
Let's Go - in Tesla land.

Hello John,

This is Max, running communications at Candela, with an update on the latest news. First, we are happy to reveal that Swedish electric car maker Polestar will start providing batteries and charging systems for our boats. An agreement has been signed that will give us access to state-of-the-art automotive battery technology and allow us to scale our production. More information on the cooperation will be revealed at a later stage, stay tuned and we will keep you posted on the details.

This fall we are moving to our new production facility, north of Stockholm. Right now, we are 140 people working at Candela and hiring people for over a hundred positions globally during the rest of the year. Larger facilities and more staff will help us ramp up production of the C-8.

During spring and summer, we have done extensive testing of the new systems in the boat. But we also let a few, select journalists do independent tests of the C-8. We are happy to share the review done by British magazine Motor Boat & Yachting. Here’s a quote from the test done by editor-in-chief Hugo Andreae:
It’s not just an alternative to a petrol boat, it’s a genuinely different boat that offers a different experience, and in many ways a better one. In terms of emissions, in terms of quietness, in terms of a soft ride, it is a genuinely different and very enjoyable experience.”

We are happy to share the full video review that gives you an insight into what it’s like to fly a Candela C-8, and some behind-the-scenes from the factory. Just follow the link for a 24-minute video review of the C-8.

So we have SP being quite obviously capped at $885 here. Since everyone needs to have their naked short position at zero today..... aren't traders just safely assuming $900+ by EOD?

Logically this capping needs to be unwound today rather than the usual "whenever", no? I guess theoretically MM's could have a stockpile of shares bought from Elon to perform these moves, but I doubt it.

There's many ways to cap a stock besides naked shorting though- None of which would need to be unwound today.

Game set match!

Not really, the stuff in there may be bad for twitter generally but virtually 0 is relevant to the contents of Musks merger agreement.

Whole entire thread if you want to discuss that further though-

Last edited:
Hey boaters... hey Tesla!

I just got an eMail from Candela (Swedish electric boat co) who claims to have partnered with Polestar for charging their electric boats at the lake. The Candela is out of my price range for a boat (~1/4M last I checked) but it's quite efficient bc of the hydrofoils that lift the boat out of the water. This makes them usable as a taxi service since range greatly increase due to lower water drag. But a low-cost runabout I have yet to find. Likely not until Cybertruck comes out, or maybe a trailer carrying batteries for the boat recharging. Can't wait to explore the water in quiet. Maybe have Ludicrous mode to pull me up out of the water.
I can't wait until I can buy affordable electric watercraft. Especially as replacements for my PWCs because the vibration really wears on you after a bit.

I saw this story posted and my first thought though was that Polestar must not have much demand if they have extra batteries to sell off.

If you or your wife run into this guy again, get his info. Don't you remember hearing Elon say Lithium mining will be like printing money? We need someone with some Lithium mining experience if we are to design our own Lithium money printing press.
She had texted me shortly after her talk, and I messaged back: "Ask the guy if we can invest in his mines" but he was already gone... 🙃

Last edited:

Due to the SEC 2-Day Settlement Rule this may be true functionally, even though new (dividend) shares won't be in place until Thursday a.m.

And on a positive note, we have this new video:

Model 3 - Beta FSD 10.69 - More difficult left turn out of parking lot- 2022.16.3.10 - 23 Aug 22 (35 min ago)

Cheers to the Longs!

I can't wait until I can buy affordable electric watercraft. Especially as replacements for my PWCs because the vibration really wears on you after a bit.

I saw this story posted and my first thought though was that Polestar must not have much demand if they have extra batteries to sell off.
I don't think Candela is getting batteries from Polestar, I think it's a connection established to charge it at the lake.

Good news, bad news

CFRA analyst Garrett Nelson called Tesla TSLA +1.63% (ticker: TSLA) the biggest winner in a recent research report. General Motors GM +0.77% (GM) and Ford MotorF +1.53% (F) also were called winners from the bill. That’s easy to understand. Most EVs produced by the trio will qualify for a $7,500 purchase tax credit. What’s more, Tesla sells the most EVs by a significant margin. The Model 3 and Model Y are the two bestselling EV models in the U.S.

Transportation companies using hydrogen are another set of winners from the Inflation Reduction Act. Those companies include NikolaNKLA +5.37% (NKLA), Plug Power (PLUG) and Cummins (CMI). The three companies have plans to use hydrogen gas as a fuel for heavy-duty trucking applications.
What did Garrett Nelson use as the basis of his analysis?

If he wasn't considering mineral sourcing then this doesn't mean much. If he did a true, full analysis I'd really be interested in seeing that.

This part of the TWTR whistleblower saga is huge. This story was coming out regardless of Elon's interest.

John Tye, founder of Whistleblower Aid and Zatko's lawyer, said Zatko has not been in contact with Musk and began the whistleblower process before there was any indication of the Silicon Valley billionaire's involvement with Twitter, according to CNN