Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This scares me. The Russians are currently driving an anti-Musk campaign to create a divide between pro-Ukraine and Elon/Tesla which seems to be working. It's starting to get out of hand... Try reading a few of the top comments here:

There is so much misinformation, so much hate, so much anger being directed at Elon and Tesla. And it just seems to escalate. This seems material to the stock, I assume more Teslas will get keyed in the future as a consequence of this. I have friends who refuse to invest in TSLA because they dislike Elon for "what he says". Probably they are hesitating with buying a Tesla also, even if they like the car, because they don't want to be associated with Elon. And a lot of it comes as a second order effect of this misinformation campaign...

This scares me. The Russians are currently driving an anti-Musk campaign to create a divide between pro-Ukraine and Elon/Tesla which seems to be working. It's starting to get out of hand... Try reading a few of the top comments here:

There is so much misinformation, so much hate, so much anger being directed at Elon and Tesla. And it just seems to escalate. This seems material to the stock, I assume more Teslas will get keyed in the future as a consequence of this. I have friends who refuse to invest in TSLA because they dislike Elon for "what he says". Probably they are hesitating with buying a Tesla also, even if they like the car, because they don't want to be associated with Elon. And a lot of it comes as a second order effect of this misinformation campaign...
Read some of the comments, didn't see anything crazy besides the usual anti-musk sentiment already established there. Also it was a mistake for SpaceX to receive any compensation from the government, even if it was 1 penny. Because an article was written about that penny, and now the entire world believes the US government paid for a service Musk has shut off.

Also isn't Crimea controlled by the Russians?

It's quite wild. Russia is influencing the opinions of Western pro-Ukraine individuals to push their own agenda. Pro-Ukraine individuals are taking on the opinions that Russia wants them to. The pro-Ukraine individuals lack the self-awareness and intelligence to see this.

Of all the things that makes me wish Elon would stop tweeting about, over all of these crazy years, this conflict is number one. He's up against a very, very capable nation state. He can use his connections in US government to express his concerns.

For what it's worth, most people I know are unaware of it. Not sure what business hit to Tesla will come as a result.

Then by all means.....spread it and link to it here!

Why does it feel like someone from the Fed is talking everyday and tanking the market each time? Is this constant drivel necessary? Is 0.75 really not priced in at this point regardless?!?
It is planned. They don’t want the market doing anything but crashing. Don’t fight the FED has taken on a whole new meaning. Think they were pissed Brainard and Evans had the audacity to suggest yesterday that interest rates were not going to 20% in the next six months.

You're new to reddit? It has always been this way in recent years, outside r/spacex and related subs Elon Musk is the big bad, before the Russian stuff it's "blood emerald", "racist", "anti-union", "killing turtles", etc etc. It has zero relevance, they're just losers.

This scares me, the whole world is gonna turn against Elon and no one would buy Tesla anymore, thousands of Teslas will be smashed and torched, any owner dare to defend their property be beaten to death.

Will sell all my TSLA first thing tomorrow!

/s
And please cancel your cybertruck reservation, asking for a friend.

Even the r/Tesla is a mess of Tesla loathing. The Tesla owners there seem to hate themselves for buying their cars. Not sure what it is about that site.

I don’t think there is any value in trying to read consumer sentiment from Reddit.

SMH, Bremmer strikes again!

Thought that was last week /s

Again, the 52-week low SP is $206.86

It is inevitable that shortzes and hedgies would do whatever it takes to get there. This is a full-court press now with the bremmerfud. They mean to get their way. It is their nature

Don't underestimate the Dark Side.

Last edited:
<snip>

Also isn't Crimea controlled by the Russians?

Yes, it currently is and has been since 2014. The only reason I can think of why Ukraine wants the Starlinks to work there is for the underground to use them against the Russians. But if it's active again, the Russians could use it against them too. I think Elon is making the right choice.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Don't think anyone is failing. Hell I think Tesla is in great shape.

I just refuse to anticipate the SP will make any major moves in the positive direction soon. SP is stuck in FU mode and I don't expect that will change. Kind of sick of people telling me why in XXX days the stock is going to pop. Been hearing this refrain all damned year long. The stock will eventually right itself. But experience over the past 9 months suggests it's gonna go sideways at best for some time yet regardless of any news.

I would love for this to be the time the boy who cried wolf is finally right. I'm just not investing or holding out hope on any short term turnaround in the SP regardless of news.
That's the point. The world has been living off free money for a decade and suddenly the cost to borrow has gone up substantially while asset values are dropping. There should be some companies that had overleveraged in the good times that go broke now as a result (as we see in every recession) - but we haven't seen that yet. It suggests that we aren't at the peak fear/capitulation part of the cycle as of today. So given there's a good chance that macro is still going to be acting against asset values for a while yet your conclusion makes sense. Its hard to fight the FED.

Here is a post that actually is investment and financial advice, in contrast to the unlikely doom and gloom possibilities about which I have written earlier today.

Do you find yourself with any or perhaps all of the following?
  • Rich, varied, healthy, delicious foods
  • Clean freshwater on tap that is reliable and cheap
  • Modern medical care
  • Computer, smartphone and broadband internet connection almost everywhere you go, and the literacy necessary to take advantage of it
  • Literal metric tons of material possessions
  • Electricity that is reliable and cheap
  • Automatic indoor heating and cooling, and even humidity control if you want it
  • Bed with a mattress and plenty of sheets and blankets
  • Ability to walk outside alone without significant risk of being murdered or mauled by a bear/other predator
  • Refrigerator, stove, oven, dishwasher, salt, herbs, spices, pots, pans and a wide variety of other unnecessary specialized kitchen tools and appliances
  • Motorized transport (car, bus, train, plane, boat, e-bike, etc.)
  • Multiple pairs of shoes and clothes, with fashion as the primary consideration
  • Washing and drying machines
  • Waste removal services for your poop and trash
  • A shower, and multiple options for soap and towels
  • Contraceptives
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste that prevents you from losing teeth and having severe gum disease by age 40
  • Cameras
  • Access to barbell equipment that could make you strong if only you'll use it
  • Access to scientific knowledge that wasn't even known until very recently
  • Access to billions of songs of your choosing and speakers that can play it on demand with nearly perfect fidelity
  • Low likelihood of compulsory military service
  • Low likelihood of you, your partner, or someone you know dying in childbirth or losing an infant to something like typhoid, influenza or yellow fever
  • Low likelihood of your government unjustly seizing all your property, or imprisoning you, or executing you
  • More high-quality entertainment options than you have time for
  • Freedom to say anything you want, within reason
  • Freedom to associate with anyone you want, within reason
  • Freedom to travel almost anywhere on the globe, or even get a spectacular view of the ground from the actual stratosphere while doing this travel
  • Freedom to elect who runs your country
If you have this stuff, or maybe even more additional amazing stuff like it, then I want to congratulate you, because your life is insanely awesome. You are fabulously rich in a way that the majority of humans alive today would love to have, and the majority of humans who have ever lived, even kings and emperors, couldn't even imagine. If you're here on the TMC investor forum, then I bet you're probably even very rich compared to the majority of the population in the country you live in, and they also have all this stuff.

If you have this stuff and still are experiencing fear about finances or anxiety ultimately rooted in worries about economic scarcity, is the problem that you don't have enough already, or the feeling itself? Is an irrationally falling TSLA stock price a good reason to be in a grumpy mood right now?

It's a very natural and understandable human feeling to experience, considering that historically contentment was never optimal for maximizing reproductive success.

But you are a modern rational human. Homo sapiens sapiens. You have that computer, that internet connection, that access to knowledge and ideas, strangers who can encourage you through books or podcasts or YouTube, and the free time (if you made room for it by sacrificing some of this aforementioned abundance) to come up with a new way of thinking about your situation that makes you happier and more joyful. Here's a couple good places to start:

If Mr. Money Mustache is not your cup of tea, how about recent wisdom from our Technoking?
It’s a great reminder of how good we have it here in America. I want to add one more to the list, and it’s probably the most important one.
That is the portion of our income requires for food is pretty small compared to the rest of the world. In other word, other people have to work a lot more just to feed themselve!

Here is a post that actually is investment and financial advice, in contrast to the unlikely doom and gloom possibilities about which I have written earlier today.

Do you find yourself with any or perhaps all of the following?
  • Rich, varied, healthy, delicious foods
  • Clean freshwater on tap that is reliable and cheap
  • Modern medical care
  • Computer, smartphone and broadband internet connection almost everywhere you go, and the literacy necessary to take advantage of it
  • Literal metric tons of material possessions
  • Electricity that is reliable and cheap
  • Automatic indoor heating and cooling, and even humidity control if you want it
  • Bed with a mattress and plenty of sheets and blankets
  • Ability to walk outside alone without significant risk of being murdered or mauled by a bear/other predator
  • Refrigerator, stove, oven, dishwasher, salt, herbs, spices, pots, pans and a wide variety of other unnecessary specialized kitchen tools and appliances
  • Motorized transport (car, bus, train, plane, boat, e-bike, etc.)
  • Multiple pairs of shoes and clothes, with fashion as the primary consideration
  • Washing and drying machines
  • Waste removal services for your poop and trash
  • A shower, and multiple options for soap and towels
  • Contraceptives
  • Toothbrush and toothpaste that prevents you from losing teeth and having severe gum disease by age 40
  • Cameras
  • Access to barbell equipment that could make you strong if only you'll use it
  • Access to scientific knowledge that wasn't even known until very recently
  • Access to billions of songs of your choosing and speakers that can play it on demand with nearly perfect fidelity
  • Low likelihood of compulsory military service
  • Low likelihood of you, your partner, or someone you know dying in childbirth or losing an infant to something like typhoid, influenza or yellow fever
  • Low likelihood of your government unjustly seizing all your property, or imprisoning you, or executing you
  • More high-quality entertainment options than you have time for
  • Freedom to say anything you want, within reason
  • Freedom to associate with anyone you want, within reason
  • Freedom to travel almost anywhere on the globe, or even get a spectacular view of the ground from the actual stratosphere while doing this travel
  • Freedom to elect who runs your country
If you have this stuff, or maybe even more additional amazing stuff like it, then I want to congratulate you, because your life is insanely awesome. You are fabulously rich in a way that the majority of humans alive today would love to have, and the majority of humans who have ever lived, even kings and emperors, couldn't even imagine. If you're here on the TMC investor forum, then I bet you're probably even very rich compared to the majority of the population in the country you live in, and they also have all this stuff.

If you have this stuff and still are experiencing fear about finances or anxiety ultimately rooted in worries about economic scarcity, is the problem that you don't have enough already, or the feeling itself? Is an irrationally falling TSLA stock price a good reason to be in a grumpy mood right now?

It's a very natural and understandable human feeling to experience, considering that historically contentment was never optimal for maximizing reproductive success.

But you are a modern rational human. Homo sapiens sapiens. You have that computer, that internet connection, that access to knowledge and ideas, strangers who can encourage you through books or podcasts or YouTube, and the free time (if you made room for it by sacrificing some of this aforementioned abundance) to come up with a new way of thinking about your situation that makes you happier and more joyful. Here's a couple good places to start:

If Mr. Money Mustache is not your cup of tea, how about recent wisdom from our Technoking?
+1
We need to sell some TSLA very soon for some big purchase items. I could have cashed earlier but waited and probably lost. I could be sitting depressed, however, I am still up huge on the stock. i told my wife that a couple of years ago we didn’t have anything and would have gone in debt to purchase the goods which are already ordered. it all is so relative. OK, we need to sell more stock than anticipated. It is what it is. we will enjoy the purchases and start saving and slowly buy back the shares.

+1
We need to sell some TSLA very soon for some big purchase items. I could have cashed earlier but waited and probably lost. I could be sitting depressed, however, I am still up huge on the stock. i told my wife that a couple of years ago we didn’t have anything and would have gone in debt to purchase the goods which are already ordered. it all is so relative. OK, we need to sell more stock than anticipated. It is what it is. we will enjoy the purchases and start saving and slowly buy back the shares.
Sell ITM calls - you lock-in a sell price and if it drops further you keep the premiums? Would that work??