Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you mean the Twitter thread regarding a shipment at Houston, the data presented didn't match the conclusion.
And somehow never made it from the port to Giga Texas. Almost like it never existed. Easy to fool people who really really want to see something.

(You can blame me for propagating the original rumor on TMC)

I was surfing YouTube today and periodically happen upon Simon Sinek which generally gives me some things to think about the failings of my current company and industry and what I can do better. But then generally my thinkings usually turn to Tesla and why they along with companies like Apple generally dominate their competition, be it with products, leadership, or overall goals.

Anyways, in this particular video he discusses the idea of there being two types of games, finite and infinite gameplay. Finite gameplay being that of traditional sports where the rules are known and the game ends in some sort of defined winner. On the other hand there are games that are infinite where the only goal is to keep playing and that usually players just drop out of the game rather than win. Finite players are really only compatible with finite games, and infinite players compatible with that of infinite games. But when a player who plays a finite game plays against an infinite player they almost always lose. The reason being is they only know how to be #1 in a segment or a vertical, they have no idea how to play an infinite game of outlasting your competition.

If I relate this to auto manufacturing in particular Toyota understood this initially when they came to dominance. That manufacturing is an infinite game. Toyotas vehicles hardly every dominated in features or ratings but they sold well because they were reliable, affordable, and repeatable via their manufacturing system. This resulting in the domestics getting their asses kicked. Toyota perfected ICE building and it lead to dominating the car market.

The old guard never understood the idea of being in an infinite game and never learned it. Now that Tesla has come along Toyota has shifted to playing a finite game and lost sight of the infinite game of outlasting your competition. I really cannot fathom how they messed up so badly on EV's as their brand was so chiefly intertwined with the Prius and efficiency. I have no idea how long Tesla will reign in this regard but it really hit home to me that Ford or GM might have higher voltage, or bigger batteries, or feature XYZ in the name of "leadership" but they have no idea how to play the infinite game in terms of winning a war and not a quarterly battle. Advertising is the pinnacle of trying to finitely win a battle because you dont know how to win a war. Propping your stock up with it being a finance company or with replacement parts sales is definitely a losing strategy that I cannot believe some days that people to see.

Anyways, I should get back to propping up my finite companies battle with my efforts. Oh and the stock is up today.

I was surfing YouTube today and periodically happen upon Simon Sinek which generally gives me some things to think about the failings of my current company and industry and what I can do better. But then generally my thinkings usually turn to Tesla and why they along with companies like Apple generally dominate their competition, be it with products, leadership, or overall goals.

Anyways, in this particular video he discusses the idea of there being two types of games, finite and infinite gameplay. Finite gameplay being that of traditional sports where the rules are known and the game ends in some sort of defined winner. On the other hand there are games that are infinite where the only goal is to keep playing and that usually players just drop out of the game rather than win. Finite players are really only compatible with finite games, and infinite players compatible with that of infinite games. But when a player who plays a finite game plays against an infinite player they almost always lose. The reason being is they only know how to be #1 in a segment or a vertical, they have no idea how to play an infinite game of outlasting your competition.

If I relate this to auto manufacturing in particular Toyota understood this initially when they came to dominance. That manufacturing is an infinite game. Toyotas vehicles hardly every dominated in features or ratings but they sold well because they were reliable, affordable, and repeatable via their manufacturing system. This resulting in the domestics getting their asses kicked. Toyota perfected ICE building and it lead to dominating the car market.

The old guard never understood the idea of being in an infinite game and never learned it. Now that Tesla has come along Toyota has shifted to playing a finite game and lost sight of the infinite game of outlasting your competition. I really cannot fathom how they messed up so badly on EV's as their brand was so chiefly intertwined with the Prius and efficiency. I have no idea how long Tesla will reign in this regard but it really hit home to me that Ford or GM might have higher voltage, or bigger batteries, or feature XYZ in the name of "leadership" but they have no idea how to play the infinite game in terms of winning a war and not a quarterly battle. Advertising is the pinnacle of trying to finitely win a battle because you dont know how to win a war. Propping your stock up with it being a finance company or with replacement parts sales is definitely a losing strategy that I cannot believe some days that people to see.

Anyways, I should get back to propping up my finite companies battle with my efforts. Oh and the stock is up today.
Now I got it why GLJ (or GLI?) devoted his talent to the fight.
Tesla is the cancer, it just spreads and messes up the perfect world we had.
So bad we are already in late stages.

/s

Has there been any news yet on what the cars without ultrasonic sensors actually do? Has any actually been given to a customer? It feels super bad to me that they are shipping new cars that do not have features of a car shipped 7 years ago (autopark, for example). I'm very keen to be proven that this is not a thing, and teslavision is just as good already...
I know a lot of people in the UK performance Y waiting thread are angry as hell that their long awaited (1 year+) cars are actually having features removed.

This is bad PR, and gives an easy win to rivals who can brag about having features that a Tesla no longer has :(

Has there been any news yet on what the cars without ultrasonic sensors actually do? Has any actually been given to a customer? It feels super bad to me that they are shipping new cars that do not have features of a car shipped 7 years ago (autopark, for example). I'm very keen to be proven that this is not a thing, and teslavision is just as good already...
I know a lot of people in the UK performance Y waiting thread are angry as hell that their long awaited (1 year+) cars are actually having features removed.

This is bad PR, and gives an easy win to rivals who can brag about having features that a Tesla no longer has :(
It's the same deal we had when radar was being removed. I wish they had more overlap for the reasons you mentioned, but they will get those features back sooner or later.

I don't know...

Even if this were true, which rivals are you concerned about?

Looks like the next factory is gonna be Giga-FakeFrench

Tesla is expanding the hiring of recruiters and a support team for a “high-volume” hiring effort in Quebec amid rumors of a potential factory coming to the region.

Earlier this year, we started reporting on evidence that Tesla has been looking at a potential location in Canada for its next Gigafactory.

Tesla plans to ramp up production to 20 million electric vehicles by the end of the decade, and it is expected to need about eight more Gigafactories to do it.

In June, Electrek obtained a recording of a companywide meeting held by Tesla CEO Elon Musk, during which he confirmed that Tesla is looking at sites in North America, and the CEO hinted at Canada for Tesla’s next Gigafactory, which he says should be announced by the end of the year.

Musk did it again at Tesla’s annual shareholders’ meeting last month, and the effort was confirmed through a lobbying disclosure by the automaker with the Ontario government in Canada.

Later, a local report stated that Tesla had visited Vale’s nickel operations in Canada and was scouting sites for a factory in Ontario and Quebec.

We also reported that Tesla visited a graphite mining and processing company based in Quebec’s battery valley.

The biggest evidence that Tesla was looking to establish a factory in Canada, and more specifically in Quebec, came in the form of a job posting for a “high volume recruiter” in Quebec.

It was significant since Tesla has used similar language about “high volume” recruiting ahead of other big factory projects, like Gigafactory Berlin in Germany.

That was back in September and we have heard much since, but now Tesla has posted another interesting job posting.

Electrek found a new job posting for a ‘Recruiting Coordinator’ based in Laval, Quebec, which is just outside of Montreal. In the job posting, Tesla writes that the coordinator will “work closely with high-volume Recruiters”:

Work closely with high-volume Recruiters in a fast-paced organization. We see our candidates as our guests, and we are their hosts. Act as a guide for candidates through the onboarding process ensuring a smooth candidate experience.
The job posting makes it sound like Tesla is preparing to recruit and onboard a high volume of new employees in Quebec.

Musk has said that Tesla is looking to announce the location of Tesla’s next Gigafactory by the end of the year.

They have s$%t the bed again on their BEV targets.

"GM Chief Executive Mary Barra said Tuesday that a slower-than-expected start to battery-cell operations at a new factory in Ohio will delay some EV sales. GM had expected to sell 400,000 EVs from early 2022 through the end of next year but has pushed out the time frame until mid-2024.

Ms. Barra told Wall Street analysts that it has taken longer than expected to hire and train workers and establish operations with the factory’s joint-venture partner, Korea’s LG Energy Solution. She said GM’s longer-range goal of selling 1 million EVs in North America in 2025 is intact."

They are now planning 400K total in North America through the middle of 2024. And yet they expect to ramp to 1 million units in 2025. Color me skeptical.

"Forward looking" WS should be absolutely HAMMERING GM over this ER.

Instead, WS rewards the SP today with profit margins padded by delayed deliveries from Q2 and sales of overpriced gas guzzling trucks.

As 'Make Mine Nikola' Mary says: "“This is just a slight shift in the acceleration,” she said." :rolleyes:

My bet is GM does not hit any of those targets. And I based this on 'past results' being 100% indicative of 'future performance', thank you very much.

"GM Chief Executive Mary Barra said Tuesday that a slower-than-expected start to battery-cell operations at a new factory in Ohio will delay some EV sales. GM had expected to sell 400,000 EVs from early 2022 through the end of next year but has pushed out the time frame until mid-2024.

Ms. Barra told Wall Street analysts that it has taken longer than expected to hire and train workers and establish operations with the factory’s joint-venture partner, Korea’s LG Energy Solution. She said GM’s longer-range goal of selling 1 million EVs in North America in 2025 is intact."

They are now planning 400K total in North America through the middle of 2024. And yet they expect to ramp to 1 million units in 2025. Color me skeptical.

Instead, WS rewards the SP today with profit margins padded by delayed deliveries from Q2 and sales of overpriced gas guzzling trucks.

As 'Make Mine Nikola' Mary says: "“This is just a slight shift in the acceleration,” she said." :rolleyes:

My bet is GM does not hit any of those targets. And I based this on 'past results' being 100% indicative of 'future performance', thank you very much.

Is it 1 million produced in 2025, or 1 million cumulative reached in 2025?

Considering they have missed all of their previous targets, why start now?

Just saw a different article that was spinning this last quarter as good news because GM "Increased EV Market Share dramatically"... Maybe Tesla should grind their production to a halt for a year, then the following year people would be all like "Tesla increased Market Share..."

Genuine WTF.

Apparently this is all on the back of the Bolt EV. GM pushing that 8 year old platform for all it's worth.

And even with the number they do make, the recalls are going to kill them. And we're talking real recalls that have to go to the dealer to be repaired, not like Tesla where the majority of fixes are done OTA.

And while the use of a common platform among models and makes may simplify design and manufacturing, I would be very concerned about defects in that platform... could result in a GM wide recall. We shall see...

Last edited:

My 2022 MY doesn't have radar and it's feature parity with my 2018 M3 for all of the FSD things. I wouldn't count it as a 'feature'. Folks that are worried about not 'getting a feature that is available on older vehicles' are worrying too much.