Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Need to put some correction on this: SpaceX started working on LEO constellation in 2014 (which later becomes Starlink). Initially they worked with Greg Wyler who proposed LEO constellation to Google then to SpaceX, then Elon Musk and Greg Wyler had a fallout and went separate ways, Elon started Starlink (formally unveiled in a private event in January 2015 at Seattle, though it didn't get its name "Starlink" until 2017), and Greg Wyler started OneWeb.

Elon's first public Mars presentation happened in 2016, which unveiled ITS (Interplanetary Transportation System), ITS is very much focused on Mars, little other use for it were mentioned, even though back then some of us realized the only way he can pay for it without government support is using ITS for commercial missions too. Then in his 2nd public Mars presentation in 2017 he renamed ITS to BFR and said "I think I've figured out how to pay for its development", which is basically using BFR to replace Falcon 9/Heavy to launch satellites, servicing space station, doing lunar missions and Point to Point (P2P) travel.

So when he said "I think I've figured out how to pay for its development" with regard to BFR, Starlink (or what will eventually be named "Starlink") has been in development for a few years.
None of “using BFR to replace Falcon 9/Heavy to launch satellites, servicing space station, doing lunar missions and Point to Point (P2P) travel” is the reason why people invested in SpaceX since 2015. Google’s 2015 $1B investment in SpaceX (which kicked off a series of higher valuation funding rounds thereafter) was for Starlink. BFR by itself, now Starship, isn’t a compelling reason to invest in SpaceX since launch by itself is only a $4B/year business.

So thank you for the accurate timelines, but it doesn’t negate my point that Starlink was essential to funding the Mars mission.

Reactions: Doit and Xepa777
Show us your rig, dude!

I'm just setting up a home gym right now, finally have the space to do it...
Since (healthy) coping mechanisms are probably on topic, I’ll chime in.

I’ve the Bowflex Revolution, which is amazing—Variations are the new repetitions I say. Though somehow I’m more inclined to use it when the stock price is rising.

The InsideRide E-motion trainer with the Zwift app is the bomb combo. I favor Rivendells (AHH & Atlantis) though I also ride a Bike Friday at times (nevertheless I occasionally and gratuitously cast an acquisitive eye at the Moulton New Series). I gather there are nice bicycles to be had in Europe as well. 😉

Yet more and more often, when I want to cope with the messed up nonsense the Street, the Press, and the stock price have been showing for, oh say, this whole year, I find I’ve been reaching for my hiking boots and hitting the trails with my dog for some forest bathing.

Also, I’m long—I just hold. I know you trade options, but for me it’s right to just hold because I’m confident I can beat the Street that way. I can also support the employees of Tesla and reinforce other share*holders*. And I can focus my thoughts beyond the immediate moment and beyond the immediate environs of TSLA and Tesla.

This is not to say I don’t find the shenanigans and gyrations stressful—I do. I find that having my investing behavior aligned with my values coupled with using the exercise tools above helps me.

@AudubonB @ggr Maybe exceptions can be made at the discretion of the mods? After all, rules were put in place for a reason. But we can't forget the rule's original intent.

Edit: I can see how this could create a burden for the mods if posters start breaking the rule following his example. So maybe a good workaround might be to allow some TMC'ers to have TWO handles; for example GigaPress_2 and that handle would be free to quote GigaPress' blogs.
Having 2 accounts is also a violation of TOS: “Unless explicitly given permission by a TMC administrator, Members are not allowed to register more than one account on the Service. In doing so, your accounts can be removed without notice (with all posts removed).”

We had this same discussion many years ago on the Benelux forum where a well known and appreciated member used the forum to promote his business. He went as far as creating multiple accounts to prevent having to pay for vendor status. It just got him banned.

Registered Investment Advisors (SEC regulated) and any Series 7 Financial Advisors (FINRA regulated) are prohibited from discussing anything regarding crypto with any clients. Which of course includes buying or selling.
We are instructed to say, "I can't comment on any crypto".
Btw, I hold almost every Security license offered and have followed those rules that were first suggested 5 years ago and were mandated 3 years ago.
Also the reason I use an alias, I don't want these entities to know who I am.

Edit: For my clients whom I am allowed to give investment advice to, I have had clients purchase over $500K of TSLA this year so far, and will continue to do so.
I dunno, seems to me that a comment to the effect that "Any currency not backed by a standing army is bound to lose out when push comes to shove" is so obviously incontrovertible that it’s hardly investment advice and more like observing that "The Sun will rise in the East in the morning."

Then again, I have a simplistic view of everything (at least whenever possible 😉).

• Helpful
Reactions: FSDtester#1
This should make a difference to somebody.

Elon tweeted:
Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta is now available to anyone in North America who requests it from the car screen, assuming you have bought this option.

Congrats to Tesla Autopilot/AI team on achieving a major milestone!
Yep. As mentioned earlier, mine just showed up!

This should make a difference to somebody.

Elon tweeted:
Tesla Full Self-Driving Beta is now available to anyone in North America who requests it from the car screen, assuming you have bought this option.

Congrats to Tesla Autopilot/AI team on achieving a major milestone!
Interesting, no FSD pricing change for this milestone, maybe will happen when V11, definitely will happen when FSD gets out of beta.

These two charts showing employee numbers and quarterly sales since 2018 would suggest otherwise.
609C6875-9C93-4FCC-9876-52D120DD64B8.jpeg
D1C4EE66-B206-4138-89ED-F8A20DFD48D1.jpeg
And you just earned yourself another ignore.

"We’re aiming to design a fully implantable, cosmetically invisible brain-computer interface to let you control a computer or mobile device anywhere you go. Micron-scale threads would be inserted into areas of the brain that control movement. Each thread contains many electrodes and connects them to an implant called the ‘Link'," says the company.

Neuralink announced it will host a ‘Show & Tell’ technology event on November 30 at 6:00 p.m. PT. The company hosts annual events to showcase the Link chip’s development progress live.

Then it had nothing to do with this Elon tweet. This tweet nor any associated action made any difference to you.

My interpretation is that people who request it will now get it without having to deal with the safety score issue. Of course if they aren't eligible due to some hardware issue, they won't get it regardless. And I suspect there's enough delay associated with this that it's V11 they'll be getting, so not until next month. But we shall see.

Yes, FSD beta is now truly widely-available w/o a safety score. I submitted my request to join the beta program back during the Summer, and FSD beta just became available for me tonight. I downloaded and installed the v10.69.3.1 then immediately spent 5 hours driving it.

So now I have a few questions about the controls and settings for FSD beta, and some initial comments about its manner and style. Could some kind soul please provide a link to the best TMC forum for this type of discussion? TIA. 👐

Cheers to the Longs!

Having 2 accounts is also a violation of TOS: “Unless explicitly given permission by a TMC administrator, Members are not allowed to register more than one account on the Service. In doing so, your accounts can be removed without notice (with all posts removed).”

We had this same discussion many years ago on the Benelux forum where a well known and appreciated member used the forum to promote his business. He went as far as creating multiple accounts to prevent having to pay for vendor status. It just got him banned.

Yes and you don’t wanna get banned or not really banned, believe me. It gives useless extra job to mods who already have plenty on their hands! A lot of people writing to them to know what happened, thanks guys for caring! Feels like a family.

Unfortunate to see you go @Gigapress I like reading all the information here however I understand the extent of your posts does not fit well with TMCs format. TMC is my first go to place to read what is happening new to TSLA or Tesla when something new happens that makes the stock drop like a rock of rockets higher. There is always someone following the calendar of FOMC meeting, minutes, reports, etc.

Everyone at work comes to me to ask me what is going on in the stock market and they think I spend multiples hours reading and analyzing the deliveries, graphs, etc while in reality it’s just me reading less than 5 mins of this forum few minutes between cases.

I wish to thank everyone here contributing and making my investing life much more easy to hold and explain to others what is happening in the Tsla/Twitterverse

Yes, FSD beta is now truly widely-available w/o a safety score. I submitted my request to join the beta program back during the Summer, and FSD beta just became available for me tonight. I downloaded and installed the v10.69.3.1 then immediately spent 5 hours driving it.

So now I have a few questions about the controls and settings for FSD beta, and some initial comments about its manner and style. Could some kind soul please provide a link to the best TMC forum for this type of discussion? TIA. 👐

Cheers to the Longs!

Maybe here in the fsd discussion thread?

No
More
Margin
Ever
I'm beginning to feel like I might be an ignorant fool because I'm not seeing the problem with margin. I'm afraid I'm the guy at the card table who can't spot the sucker.

I have 2600 TSLA shares in my brokerage account. 200 of them were bought on margin at an average price of about 210. I feel perfectly comfortable with this and the only concern I have is when I read all your posts warning against margin. Is there something I'm missing? I don't feel like I have any realistic risk of getting Called, am I wrong on that?

For 2022Q3, BEV sales accounted for 2.147 million units and registered a YoY growth of 75%,

I don't know if it makes sense from a business point of view but I think Rivian is a cool product and wouldn't mind having it in our portfolio.
Oooh, what if Scaringe turns to Elon to save Rivian, Elon doesn't bother to take his call, then Rivian goes on to rule the world? Even Elon would appreciate the irony in that.

Since (healthy) coping mechanisms are probably on topic, I’ll chime in.

I’ve the Bowflex Revolution, which is amazing—Variations are the new repetitions I say. Though somehow I’m more inclined to use it when the stock price is rising.

The InsideRide E-motion trainer with the Zwift app is the bomb combo. I favor Rivendells (AHH & Atlantis) though I also ride a Bike Friday at times (nevertheless I occasionally and gratuitously cast an acquisitive eye at the Moulton New Series). I gather there are nice bicycles to be had in Europe as well. 😉

Yet more and more often, when I want to cope with the messed up nonsense the Street, the Press, and the stock price have been showing for, oh say, this whole year, I find I’ve been reaching for my hiking boots and hitting the trails with my dog for some forest bathing.

Also, I’m long—I just hold. I know you trade options, but for me it’s right to just hold because I’m confident I can beat the Street that way. I can also support the employees of Tesla and reinforce other share*holders*. And I can focus my thoughts beyond the immediate moment and beyond the immediate environs of TSLA and Tesla.

This is not to say I don’t find the shenanigans and gyrations stressful—I do. I find that having my investing behavior aligned with my values coupled with using the exercise tools above helps me.
I just kick puppies. And bake.