Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Desalination still looks like a major market opportunity for solar and maybe batteries. This article from physicist/engineer Dr Handmer shows a sketch up of what large-scale desal with reverse osmosis could look like for the American Southwest with some comparisons for other regions.

I am actually reposting this - about Frank Shuman

Desalination was a very real thing over 110 years ago. Article

The very successful attempts were 'interrupted' by a war. Obviously, once there is a war people don't look too much into green initiatives as there are other things to worry about.

Patent - Google Patents

Frank Shuman - Wikipedia

IMO, if this had been done well so long ago, me thinks it is more of a lack of will caused by oil corruption. And YES, water will be the most scarse thing in the world. It already is in many places.

I was thinking about this over the holiday:

Is Tesla's next vehicle, the one without a wheel, going to be perpetually connected to Starlink/ISP's and FSD running with a potential for 6-8 passengers in them at any given moment all hitching a ride through Tesla Network?

If so, pieces start to come together. The Tesla key card. Boring Company Tunnels. Starlink/ISP's. Limitless Battery supply. Factory automation. Tesla Bot. People can still buy luxury cars, thus keeping the value of the Model 3 / Model S / Model X / Cybertruck / Roadster 2.0 / etc...or people can choose to ride-hail in Tesla's community vehicle for a $1 per mile and go practically anywhere (either never stopping [maybe remote work?] or going to A-B-C-D... destination(s)). There really isn't a stop in demand generation if they do this...ever. If they fully automate the driving experience, then that'd be quite the world we live in. Near limitless opportunities for human creativity and ingenuity to leverage these technologies.

Cool!

I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of folks that want to order a car but get pressured into taking one from a dealer's inventory rather than getting exactly what they want. "You can have this car today if only you'll give up this small item". Dealers really don't like order placers.
We really pissed off the local Ford dealer decades ago when we ordered our Explorer. My former spouse's father used to work for Ford Aerospace and was able to buy at less than dealer cost and there was nothing participating dealers could say. Even though he had passed away, she was grandfathered in. So we ordered one from the factory and even changed the interior and exterior colors after ordering it! Plus we financed a portion through a local credit union and didn't have a trade-in, so other than coating the underbelly, they made absolutely no money off the sale. While the salesman who handled our order was more than cordial, his boss was not happy... LOL.

I am actually reposting this - about Frank Shuman

Desalination was a very real thing over 110 years ago. Article

The very successful attempts were 'interrupted' by a war. Obviously, once there is a war people don't look too much into green initiatives as there are other things to worry about.

Patent - Google Patents

Frank Shuman - Wikipedia

IMO, if this had been done well so long ago, me thinks it is more of a lack of will caused by oil corruption. And YES, water will be the most scarse thing in the world. It already is in many places.
Wow, thanks for reposting! I was not aware that technology existed especially in that time frame. Too bad Shuman passed away, that tech could have changed everything, energy generation and desalination, and with mirrors not today's solar panels. The article also brings up good points, such as the continuing lack of cost for fuel (not with solar) and oil subsidies.

Would love to see a follow up to this. Time to go surfing!

• Funny
Reactions: FSDtester#1
Freshwater projects are an interesting and timely environmental topic, and involve fascinating engineering. They do not, however, belong in this thread. Any more such and both those and the previous ones will either evaporate, dissolve, solidify or sublimate.
You really went fishing 🎣 for some puns there.
Seems like you had a nice catch. Even people wet behind the ears could follow.
At least you were able to tackle the problem before it became a net negative for the thread.

“The Semi might be my favourite Tesla product. Why?

Because most people in the investment community (including large holders) that I speak to, didn't believe it's possible to make a 500 mile, fully loaded Class 8 truck.

Deliveries start next week!”

If 500 miles fully loaded pans out, the FCEV semi is dead. The semi might turn out to be the most impactful product Musk has ever brought to market and that’s saying a lot !!

Because most people in the investment community (including large holders) that I speak to, didn't believe it's possible to make a 500 mile, fully loaded Class 8 truck.

Excitement is in the air! Sure would be great to see the Semi become a bigger deal than most people think it will be. Nice to see Martin V displaying confidence in the product already.

took a look at Failure to Deliver's again, cannot scry or haruspice anything obvious, attached the xls file as a zip
1669506913546.png

Attachments

• tsla_ftd.zip
    670.5 KB · Views: 51
took a look at Failure to Deliver's again, cannot scry or haruspice anything obvious, attached the xls file as a zip
View attachment 878601

Faq. So Brokers didn't deliver all the shares sold after the 3:1 Split? (the 13-day delay is the tip-off; that's the length of the reporting period for FTD's. That's a jump of 2M shares that weren't delivered after the TSLA split, and 50% larger than previous spikes (5:1 split and S&P 500 addition).

Crime in plain sight reported in an after-the-fact manner. Outrageous.

Banksters, who own the #SEC, are defrauding the Market.

Paging @FrankSG

Last edited:
I don't think it is scarce engineering talent. We have Kato Rd up, and doing effectively some production + iterative versioning of the 4680 cells (chemistry is still relatively simple compared to things we see in the 2170s). Then in Austin we have things being deployed and in production.

We had the rumor a few months ago that Tesla had in-housed the production of the 4680 production equipment, because a vendor wasn't meeting specs. I would assume that it is this transition that is the bottleneck right now for ramping 4680 faster - Tesla is "reinventing a better wheel" than their supplier could make.

My 0.02 - pure speculation with only a limit bit of data I am extrapolating from.

And don't discount the possibility that the vendor was paid more to not perform, than they would make by fulfilling their contract in a timely basis. Because there are a lot of powerful and monied interests with no morals who are desperate to slow Tesla down using any strategic means they think will work. Or, it could be that Tesla just over-estimated their ability to perform. Who knows?

That's because they make more money off all the "weather package", "paint protection", and a bunch of other nonsense to the base car. You mostly end up paying for stuff you don't want. Rarely can you find a vanilla car without a few hundred or a few thousand of nonsense added on.

True. And ordering the car from the factory does not solve the problem of having to buy a bundling of options to get the one option you want. Tesla is very good in this way, it seems they have largely resisted the temptation to bundle, at least to the same degree as legacy auto. Tesla even lets the customer remove software options (like $15K FSD) from both new and used cars in inventory.

But we will never see the media covering how wonderful this is for the consumer compared to legacy auto! I wonder why that is? 🤔

Why? I think it is a very smart move on Domino's part and Bolts are a good car at a very low price. Not great for trips but that is not what Domino's needs. It is also a great way to expose many people to EV's.

It was a joke, I'm sure, based on recent concerns that people wouldn't buy Tesla products because Elon is such a wild and crazy guy that everyone despises. And who would want to have a pizza delivered in a car made by that egotistical Mary Barra who thinks GM is leading the EV revolution? /s

Apple is built on Steve Jobs realizing “other people are not smarter than you are”.

Musk industries are built on realizing established interests are just mud walls that can not stop the flood of technology advances.

Whenever there is shady behavior by established interests, there is big opportunity. Us normies would accept things as it is, not Elon, the man had been fighting all these:
  • Semi gliders, which keeps disproportionately polluting old engines on the road.
  • The leading EV company crashing EV1
  • Chicken tax preventing pickup trucks competition from entering US
  • Inconvenient truth was all about pushing hydrogen
  • Defense contractors take billions of taxpayer money over decades but no real progress were made since 60s
  • Metro governments spent billions to build subways that’s not convenient enough then claim people don’t want it.
And the list had only been growing.

Before any of these been solved, people would say that’s impossible. Then after it’s done, people would wonder why it was not done earlier.

Mad respect and glad to ride along!

Last edited: