Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been so long since every single position in our portfolios has finished in the green - and most of them very handsomely - that I cannot recall it ever happening before. Not Ever. I keep some two score holdings across a very diverse spectrum.

And at the end of a month? That is some potent window dressing! Almost makes me not shudder to think of our upcoming monthly statements.

That brings up an item on my wish list. Often, especially in the morning, I start my reading several pages back and I see posts that I would normally reply to, but don't because my reply would be way removed from the original post. It would be great to be able to have the option to change the view from chronological (as it is now) to conversational threading (Conversation threading - Wikipedia) so you respond directly to the question without going to the latest posts. Gmail has that capability as do others.

I realize it's probably not possible with the current software used for the site, but it sure would be convenient, especially if you're not up on the thread all the time.

JMHO

You've just described how reddit works. There are pros and cons to both discussion group styles. I like both reddit and TMC.

1) Tesla Semi is known to have 3 cameras mounted on each side-view mirror. Take a look at this video, especially at 48 seconds

1 forward facing, 1 looking down and a bit forward, one looking sideways and slightly backward. The latter could be replacing the repeaters, although not sure how much backwards view it can catch. Also 2 cameras on b-pillar, 1 in front, 1 in back = 10

I'm curious how those cameras are going to work in snow storms? Maybe they have heaters to melt snow accumulation? If so, great.

I'm curious how those cameras are going to work in snow storms? Maybe they have heaters to melt snow accumulation? If so, great.

I wonder the same thing but I don't think its as simple as melting the "snow" accumulation. The issue isn't snow accumulation on the cameras but all of the salt and slushy grime that splatters on the them. This will be my first winter in my Tesla but on my last car I was constantly wiping off my backup camera during the winter.

OT, maybe, not sure anymore, but interesting. Basically, I think we're in a new Retirement Economy (or Boomersville?). Some facts, some opinions, all for free, complete with chart and data!

I agree. Even though we appear to be on the cusp of a recession, worker shortages could very well continue. Our current unemployment rate (3.7%) is basically a historical low. It spiked during Covid, of course, but if Covid had never happened, this would be the longest low unemployment stretch since the time series I found was being tracked starting in 1948.

Baby Boomers are the largest demographic bulge we’ve had in 100 years and their absence from the workforce will be keenly felt for the next 20 or so years. The replacement generations are either not large enough (Gen-X), or haven’t accumulated enough work experience to be as productive (Millennials). You might have noticed that workers in general aren’t quite as on the ball as they were in the past – no it isn’t only your crotchety old-timer imagination, the young replacement workers are being thrust into jobs that more experienced people used to do since there aren’t enough experienced workers to go around. It isn’t young people’s fault, we were all similarly in-experienced when we were 20 years old.

As if Baby Boomer retirement wasn’t bad enough, another huge global trend is underway: The re-shoring of manufacturing into North America. Just like Germany recently discovered the problem of relying on Russian natural gas, US based companies are realizing that relying on China as the world’s manufacturer is also a bad idea.

China’s recent belligerence isn’t really the issue (although US sanctions against China can’t be discounted), it is that they have become unreliable. Between the state’s crackdown on its own tech industry and seemingly random and increasingly draconian Covid shutdowns even as the rest of the world has moved on, China has shown itself to be an unreliable manufacturing partner. It doesn’t help that Chinese wages have skyrocketed making them expensive as well. Even Apple is diversifying its manufacturing out of China.

So we will be seeing a lot of companies setting up shop in Mexico, Texas, Arizona, and (to a lesser extent) California in the next ten years exacerbating our already tight labor supply.

I'm not sure this matters a whole heck of a lot to Tesla though. Tesla is in the same boat working to attract a similar labor pool as their competitors. Tesla already has a fairly globally diversified manufacturing footprint, and in a few years, it'll be even more diversified.

I wonder the same thing but I don't think its as simple as melting the "snow" accumulation. The issue isn't snow accumulation on the cameras but all of the salt and slushy grime that splatters on the them. This will be my first winter in my Tesla but on my last car I was constantly wiping off my backup camera during the winter.
Perhaps some kind of hydrophobic and anti glare lens? That doesn’t help the buildup issue though…

Our current unemployment rate (3.7%) is basically a historical low.
The numbers seem a little bit contrived just like our “inflation” figures. Do you have a link to something that shows that the 3.7 includes people who have taken themselves out of the traditional workforce and are making a living freelancing?

It has been so long since every single position in our portfolios has finished in the green - and most of them very handsomely - that I cannot recall it ever happening before. Not Ever. I keep some two score holdings across a very diverse spectrum.

And at the end of a month? That is some potent window dressing! Almost makes me not shudder to think of our upcoming monthly statements.

Ha! I've got four stocks that were red today! Wait a minute, is that a good thing or bad?

Perhaps some kind of hydrophobic and anti glare lens? That doesn’t help the buildup issue though…

The numbers seem a little bit contrived just like our “inflation” figures. Do you have a link to something that shows that the 3.7 includes people who have taken themselves out of the traditional workforce and are making a living freelancing?
They are more or less in line with each other, but they do diverge at times. U1-U6
1669846527420.png

(chart looks right at a glance Americas Unemployment Rate Interviewing Half The Problem )

BLS has all the raw data.

We are going to see some disparity sooner or later though as tech workers get laid off and are forced to take up lower quality roles.

Yea! Tim did the responsible thing here and had a face to face convo with Elon. Wish more people would do things like that.
I agree entirely. It's an automatic de-escalation move, and my hope is that they had a long, productive conversation - we don't need Tesla even remotely involved a proxy war between Apple & Twitter...

I believe he also said it would have a detrimental effect on the batteries which is why Tesla has not offered it. Time will tell if that's accurate with all the other vehicles implementing V2G...

Elon didn't give a very complete answer on why they have no plans to include V2G because the actual answer is a very nuanced and complex and is derived from layered first-principles thinking. With this kind of situation, you can only beat around the bush when trying to explain why it makes more sense to not offer it, than to offer it. In other words, the answer is not very clear. And this kind of answer will not change most people's mind because it doesn't provide the full "vision" that informs the answer. I could write a two or three page essay on why it makes more sense to not offer V2G and some would understand but most would not. Most of the reason is cost/business/adoption related, not the technology, not the battery warranty.

Yes, I get it, some people think they want it and that that's all it takes for it to make Tesla a more valuable company and help solve global warming. But the actual truth is complex and the answer is not what most non-visionaries think it is. I suggest people trust the man who has already done the near impossible. I'm repeating myself again but Elon really and truly is more impressive than the people who are sure V2G would make a great addition to Tesla's offerings.

For the bulk of the people I haven't convinced, I suggest you look at Ford and their F-150 Lightning in 5 years and see where it got them. Remember, Elon makes his decisions based upon what will make the company stronger or weaker, what will accelerate or slow the transition to sustainable energy. The answers to questions like this are not always the obvious ones. As far as I know, there is no fatal technological flaw with the Lightning's V2G capability. Let's see where it got them in 5 years. We will see if it accelerated the transition to sustainable energy or strengthened Ford as an EV maker. I think we will find it accomplished nothing and was a waste of resources.