Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Answering my own question, in part.
At 33.7 kWh being the energy contained in one gallon of gasoline, then Tesla’s truck gets better than 16.8mpg gasoline equivalence. I’ll do the diesel shortly, but I do not understand whether the efficiency of a combustion engine plays into this. I think not, but.

On edit:It’s not clear why @MP3Mike ’s numbers differ so much from mine.
On re-edit: now it's clear🤣
On re-re-edit: @Cosmacelf thinks the combustion engine's efficiency is hyper-important.

At 33.7 kWh being the energy contained in one gallon of gasoline, then Tesla’s truck gets better than 16.8mpg gasoline equivalence. I’ll do the diesel shortly, but I do not understand whether the efficiency of a combustion engine plays into this. I think not, but.
From light googling I got 6.5 mpg on average for semi-trucks.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
1 gallon of diesel is ~10kWh. So more than 5 MPGE. So comparable efficiency, but cost is ~70% less. (The diesel costs more than $5/gallon while 10kWh of electricity costs ~$1.50 using national averages.)
One litre of diesel has ~10 kWh. US gallon has about 3.8 litres so about 38 kWh per gallon of diesel (all ball park numbers)

Be careful about kWh energy content for either gasoline or diesel. Combustion engines are notoriously inefficient. So while there might be a lot of energy per gallon of that liquid stuff, a typical car combustion engine can only convert about 1/3 of that energy into useful work. Electric motors are more like 90% efficient. You'd be far better off comparing cost/mile.

To answer my own question, the video at the end showed the driver cruising at 55 mph. No doubt some faster and some slower speeds depending on traffic. I thought I heard the person beside Elon on stage (who was he, anyone know?) say something like 82 kph, which would be average 51 mph, which is about right for that distance in the time they took. I guess I could do a distance/time calculation taking into account the 1/2 hour break...

He didn't say 82 kph, he was talking gross weight of 82k.

With Tesla bringing a new megawatt charger to the consumer market (with Cybertruck and future products/refreshes), will this be a way for Tesla to challenge the CCS standard? CCS maxes out at 350kW and as far as I’m aware has no real pathway to get to this level. How could you keep on mandating an inferior plug standard if a new one could significantly reduce charging times?

Doing some Googling I found the Megawatt Charging System (MCS) which is currently being designed by a German company called CharIN. Maybe Tesla is trying to get a head start on the competition for this next global charging standard? Would love to hear some thoughts.

Be careful about kWh energy content for either gasoline or diesel. Combustion engines are notoriously inefficient. So while there might be a lot of energy per gallon of that liquid stuff, a typical car combustion engine can only convert about 1/3 of that energy into useful work. Electric motors are more like 90% efficient. You'd be far better off comparing cost/mile.

Correct. You feed 1 gallon, ~40kWh, of diesel in and get 6.5 miles. You feed ~40kWh of electricity into the Tesla Semi and you get more than 20 miles.

Cost wise diesel is ~$0.80/mile. Electricity, using national average price, is less than $0.30/mile. (Wholesale could be under $0.14/mile, Supercharger rates could be $0.90/mile, so obviously you don't want to Supercharge most of your miles.)

Last edited:
All true; at 2kWh per mile and an assumed cost of 25 cents a kWh (half a**ed WAG), that would be 50 cents a mile.

If diesel is $5 a gallon, that gets you to a 10 mpg equivalent, cost wise.

On edit:It’s not clear why @MP3Mike ’s numbers differ so much from mine.
One gallon of diesel is 40Kwh. So I agree with 18-20 MPGe. 18 MPGe is more correct if you consider charging losses like the EPA does for cars.

Basically a 3x improvement in efficiency over a diesel truck.

All true; at 2kWh per mile and an assumed cost of 25 cents a kWh (half a**ed WAG), that would be 50 cents a mile.

If diesel is $5 a gallon, that gets you to a 10 mpg equivalent, cost wise.
.25/kwh is a lot more than what even California businesses pay. I think commercial rates are around .18/kWh in CA. Cheaper elsewhere of course.