Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing some Googling I found the Megawatt Charging System (MCS) which is currently being designed by a German company called CharIN. Maybe Tesla is trying to get a head start on the competition for this next global charging standard? Would love to hear some thoughts.

The last time we got a look at the Megacharger's connector, it actually adhered to the V2 version of CharIN's MCS standard: An up-close look at Tesla's liquid-cooled Megachargers at Frito Lay

I don't think we've seen any additional shots of the Megacharger connectors since the current V3 MCS connector was unveiled.

Doing some Googling I found the Megawatt Charging System (MCS) which is currently being designed by a German company called CharIN. Maybe Tesla is trying to get a head start on the competition for this next global charging standard? Would love to hear some thoughts.

No. CharIN is a standards body. Tesla is a member of CharIN and helped design the MCS standard. (My guess is that the Tesla Semi has a MCS inlet as well as a NACS (Supercharger) inlet.)

Did we not hear at the program's beginning that those present were shown the production line? Not a peep yet?
Elon clearly said factory production line tours were given. I’d have to imagine some details will come out from those that walked the production lines. Strange that Tesla has been so open with the Berlin/Austin production lines but not the Semi

Elon also specifically called Sparks the Semi factory…….so seems like there may indeed by a full production line inside the building and Tesla is not hand building Semi’s as some here thought

Semi event was one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. That truck is beyond incredible. Why would anyone buy anything else?!?

So SP should drop at least 5% tomorrow.... /s
Yep this is a game changer for the trucking industry...assuming Tesla can produce them at scale. Sadly it just has to be an electric truck with close to this range. That's all. Good on Tesla, this could move hundreds of millions of gallons of diesel out of production. It will lower shipping costs dramatically and will actually boost the economy. Simply, a great product.

Average maybe 25 cents per mile on electricity, 75 cents for diesel. It will really depend upon electricity cost at night which varies a lot by location.
They said <2kwh/mile which I’m sure means 2kwh/mi (I think that was the consensus really good number being thrown around). I’ve never seen a high speed charger that cheap (13c/kWh).

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Elon clearly said factory production line tours were given. I’d have to imagine some details will come out from those that walked the production lines. Strange that Tesla has been so open with the Berlin/Austin production lines but not the Semi

Elon also specifically called Sparks the Semi factory…….so seems like there may indeed by a full production line inside the building and Tesla is not hand building Semi’s as some here thought
That would be great

Reactions: Skryll
Would love to hear some thoughts.
Stating the obvious, this more or less removes the charging station as the source of a bottleneck,

So it is now all about how fast the car/truck and its battery can accept a charge.

The additional advantage is that these Megachargers can be deployed at sites and multiple vehicle types can use them.

Any vehicle around the same size as a Cybertruck or bigger could use them, this potentially includes vans, buses. minibuses, smaller trucks.

Eventually we may see cars being able to charge at this rate, but it may take a few years before that can happen, my guess would be 10-15 years