Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry (Not sorry) but I don’t see calls for Elon to be Deported, Arrested, Holdings confiscated, Involuntarily committed, or strapped to one of his rockets before launch (yes, really) as “well-intentioned criticism”.

It’s ugly and severely disturbing behavior from folks who feel he’s an ideological apostate now.
That's not what happening on this board. Take it somewhere else.

It's as if different people hold different values and Elon's crossing the line triggers a harsh response. But sure, go ahead, generalize and call us names as you see fit.
For me I don't care about what he does with his money or what he says on the bird app, but loyalty I hold in very high regard and lately I've seen TSLA holders paying for his ill-advised acquisition which he himself tried to get out of.
Have you stopped to consider that not supporting the mission and feeding into the FUD being sowed by establishment media is contributing to our favorite stock cratering?

I have friends who bought in the 300s and 200s before Elon dumped his shares on them. Young people in South Korea are investing their life savings in TSLA because they believe in the company. My uncle, who is near retirement age, bought TSLA in the 250s. I think you'll have a hard time finding gratitude there. I've been poor and I've been not so poor and let me tell you this: you wouldn't be criticizing us for criticizing him if it was you who lost a butt load of money picking the right company. That's the part that hurts the most. You do your homework and take the risk and the company delivers but somehow you're poorer than before and it's not because the market is irrational but because the CEO is dumping his shares like there's no tomorrow.

The definition of a a speculator is not someone who uses derivatives to take ownership in a company but one who is in it purely for financial gain. AFAIK, KoGuan Leo never sold TSLA or its derivatives for gains. He bought all the way down from 350 and is still holding with us. I could care less if he bought shares or calls as long as he doesn't flip them for profit. Maybe his risk management was inadequate but he's still in it with us and i find it disgusting that some posters here were cheering for him getting margin called.
I empathize believe me. I was nearer to retirement than I realized when I put all of my retirement savings into TSLA in the Winter of 2018–this on top of other buys over the previous three years. By mid-2019, I found I’d aged out of tech, my marriage was foundering, and my TSLA position was down by half (at that point I made a further rage buy as I recently mentioned).

Lots of people blamed Elon then for his tweets and what not. In fact, it seemed like they couldn’t shut up about it. I did not—and do not still. Even if I did want to blame him, which I didn’t and don’t, I wouldn’t have—why carry water for your enemies? Duh.

This casting of blame is like the "credit assignment problem." Rather than look who benefits, consider who Elon is taking on.

Elon has picked fights with powerful, wealthy, and ruthless entrenched interests. He has done so for the right reasons in the right ways and had astonishing success.

Tesla is enormously successful and that is why folks are trying to take Elon down. His attempt to restore trust in public discourse is entirely like him and of course further incites opposition.

Elon and his companies are trying to do the right thing in addition to making money. You and yours can be helpful by buying their products and holding their stock.

The plateau during which I bought lasted 5+ years as been mentioned earlier. This one is 2 or so years now. Be patient and be rewarded or walk and wallow in regret later.

As for the use of derivatives, it is rationalization to put that on par with holding shares as a matter of character.

I’m taking the current day’s trading as a sign that we’re near a bottom and moved another chunk of my AAPL holdings into TSLA.

So far every time I’ve sold Apple to buy Tesla, Tesla’s stock has dropped another 20% so apologies in advance.
Duly noted ;)

I still have more cash and shares I'm willing to part with to add to my Jan 2025 200-220 LEAPS collection

I empathize believe me. I was nearer to retirement than I realized when I put all of my retirement savings into TSLA in the Winter of 2018–this on top of other buys over the previous three years. By mid-2019, I found I’d aged out of tech, my marriage was foundering, and my TSLA position was down by half (at that point I made a further rage buy as I recently mentioned).

Lots of people blamed Elon then for his tweets and what not. In fact, it seemed like they couldn’t shut up about it. I did not—and do not still. Even if I did want to blame him, which I didn’t and don’t, I wouldn’t have—why carry water for your enemies, duh.

This casting of blame is like the "credit assignment problem." Rather than look who benefits, consider who Elon is taking on.

Elon has picked fights with powerful, wealthy, and ruthless entrenched interests. He has done so for the right reasons in the right ways and had astonishing success.

Tesla is enormously successful and that is why folks are trying to take Elon down. His attempt to restore trust in public discourse is entirely like him and of course further incites opposition.

Elon and his companies are trying to do the right thing in addition to making money. You and yours can be helpful by buying their products and holding their stock.

The plateau during which I bought lasted 5+ years as been mentioned earlier. This one is 2 or so years now. Be patient and be rewarded or walk and wallow in regret later.
Thanks for elaborating on my point above!

Tesla Energy (TE) should not be forgotten. I wouldn't be surprised if TE generates as much revenue as autos some day.

If you’re a Powerwall owner with retail choice in Texas, you can save on your electricity bills. You earn credits toward your bill when you contribute energy stored in your Powerwall to buffer the grid. As a member, you can also monitor the sources of your electricity supply 24/7 in the Tesla app and ensure that any electricity you use from the grid is offset with 100 percent Texas-generated renewable energy. On average, Tesla Electric members have the potential to earn over 50 percent more in credits on their electricity bills compared to similar plans

This comment by Gary is incorrect. I have estimated that Elon will pay $2.3B in federal taxes this year.
View attachment 885300
also,
in response to bloomberg. 2nd tweet down about totals over last ~12months

Have you stopped to consider that not supporting the mission and feeding into the FUD being sowed by establishment media is contributing to our favorite stock cratering?
We're talking about valid criticism by people on this board, most of whom are holding TSLA as a significant portion of their net worth so we definitely support the mission. We're criticizing him for an ill mannered approach to selling his shares which hurts investors. We're not calling for him to be deported or his assets seized. You're trying to make us sounds like woke extremists in order to trivialize what we've got to say.

I posted the opposite image just few days ago:

Both in one place...

1671130092577.png

Some losses can be carried forward to future tax years, but I don’t know about losses derived from charitable giving to a foundation. Any CPAs in the house? Also, the stock he transferred over presumably had a very low tax basis, so maybe the 2021 tax loss wasn’t that high anyways. Again, I don’t know what I’m talking about.
His charitable gift was direct stock transfer so no tax either way and a normal income deduction based on value. So say 5B * 50% = $2.5B deduction, much less than his income so nothing to carry over...
Important point, the stock option exercise was normal income, not capital gains.
SEC FORM 5

I’m really hoping $153 was the bottom, just so that ‘technically’ chicken genius was wrong! But my god, his accuracy on this was impressive.
I had to go apology tweet to him yesterday for calling him names back in august when he was screaming SELL, and calling for $150.
His 140 price target looks on target by the way things are going. However, his reason was crap. His reason - demand China collapse, Europe reccession will effect demand, luxury good demand collapse in reccession, Inflation will remain high, Fed crashing market, etc.
So far, China demand seems strong, Europe demand seems untested, inflation is calming, but the Fed is crashing the market. One major factor that contribute TSLA being in the 150s is = well we all know what.
So yeah, lucky random price target.

So, now that the SP is fine (hehe), maybe some of you want to share your thoughts on this:
How about that Steam integration for new S and X? I'm thinking an MCU upgrade might, in time, be available to M3 and MY owners to allow the same or at least comparable functionality. That is - provided there aren't any physical limitations to prevent it being reasonable to do.
I'm curious about the Cybertruck MCU though. Will it be the same as S and X, or 3/Y?

Reactions: FireMedic
It’s very interesting just how quickly some turned on EM.

Almost like a mass formation psychosis and it’s definitely been seen before with another famous billionaire.
It's not a "psychosis", and it has nothing to do with him being a billionaire. Personally, I would never use Twitter, and never even consider investing in it, and yet here I am, forced to fund it. As CEO of Tesla, I consider his primary fiduciary responsibility to be to TSLA shareholders, but what do I know? 😵‍💫

@AudubonB says he wants a reply when I downvote.

Simple as this. If you post a video from any source and don't say why I should watch it, how it's relevant to TSLA, some sort of summation, I'm going to down vote that post.

I'm not watching random videos just to see why I should watch them.

If you think it's noteworthy please spend a few seconds telling us why, otherwise be prepared for the rest of us to mark it as a post of low effort.

And no, I don't think you telling me when the video was posted is useful most of the time, every post has a timestamp, you saying it was posted recently is redundant. You only need to tell us it's post time/date if it's old.

Mod note: there is a RULE of this thread never to link anything - video or otherwise - without comment. A rule sadly trodden upon; I cannot discipline every single violation. Were I able to be more diligent, there would be no post for you to black-thumb. Maybe in the next universe.
The front screen of that YouTube very clearly describes what it is about. The relevance to TSLA is obvious. There's no need for redundant explanation. No one ever "down votes" my YouTube postings except dhanson865. I generally prefer not to inject my opinions of videos before others have a chance to view them.

Any insight into the timing of Elon's need to refinance? Q4 earnings are just a few weeks away. Either Elon couldn't wait for some reason, or he doesn't really expect Q4 to be insane after all. If it was just due to stupid high interest on his loans, why would a few weeks (6 I think?) matter if waiting meant selling at a possibly 10-20% greater price?

I suppose it might also mean that he thinks macro will further deteriorate.

I think you are over-thinking this. Elon is pragmatic and matter-of-fact. He is simply de-risking because his acquisition was a bigger dumpster fire than even he thought. He wants to be able to go through a recession no matter how bad it gets without this debt hanging over him and his selling window was getting ready to close. A little pain now for long-term security no matter what happens is a worthwhile trade in his mind.

I don't know the specifics, but I don't have to. I think it's pretty obvious it's long-term de-risking than it is selling for gains in the short-term based upon insider knowledge that Q4 is going to suck. That makes no sense because Elon doesn't take this kind of action over short-term concerns. He wants to fortify his businesses to ensure his enemies can't take him down.