Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently the IRA is the Tax code equivalent of a Russian Doll. Only instead of finding a doll, every layer you go down you get another tax break.

Tesla gets a tax incentive for manufacturing that energy storage. Their customers get a tax credit for buying those energy storage products. How deep does this go? Do we also get a tax credit for buying energy which has been stored?

1672426462429.png

Hat tip:

How can Tesla offer a Model Y 5-Seater for less than $55,000 in order for it to qualify for the IRAs $7,500 incentive?

The Long Range AWD currently starts at $65,990.

With the colors being ~$1,500 each and the white interior being another $1,000, the car would have to start at roughly 52k to qualify for the IRAs incentive with visual changes.

Option one:
Make the MSRP of the new Model Y version 52k to allow for color and interior options

Option two:
Make the MSRP exactly below 55k and make all visual changes (color + interior) free.

I think option two makes more sense. (mostly financially), so lets go with that.

Tesla could offer a "Model Y Mid-Range AWD", a software locked LR.

Make the MSRP $54,990. All options (excl. autopilot / FSD and wheels as both can be changed afterwards) are free.

Lock the range at 200mi (from 330mi)

Remove software-lockable features from the car to make them available later on through in-car or in-app purchases.

- Range upgrade ~$9,000
= Unlocks the full potential of the battery = 75 kWh / 330mi

- Acceleration boost ~$2,000
= Unlocks more power and a quicker acceleration

- Heated Seats $200

- Heated Steering Wheel $100

= ~$11,300

Or make everything available as one package combined to unlock the full potential of the car (Essentially turning it into a LR)

Car should still be somewhat profitable even if someone decides to not purchase any of the enhancements

Would this work?
Perhaps.

My worry would be that Treasury simply passes a new rule that disqualifies the vehicle if it is range-crippled. Tesla needs to tread carefully here.

Apparently the IRA is the Tax code equivalent of a Russian Doll. Only instead of finding a doll, every layer you go down you get another tax break.

Tesla gets a tax incentive for manufacturing that energy storage. Their customers get a tax credit for buying those energy storage products. How deep does this go? Do we also get a tax credit for buying energy which has been stored?

View attachment 890445

Hat tip:

Yeah. Despite its flaws, this should really accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

View attachment 890445

Hat tip:
Whole Mars is just now hearing about this? I find that hard to believe.

Tesla Q4 delivery estimates

@TeslaKairav 424,968
@oracletim1 430,000
@WholeMarsBlog 420,000
@TSLAFanMtl 420,000
@ICannot_Enough 420,069
@teslapodcast 434,109
@CuriousPejjy 434,000

Street expectation: 420,000
/End tweet
@TroyTeslike 428K
A whole bunch of 420 going on... makes sense and a fitting end to 2069, I mean 2022... Peace ✌️

Photo??

Mine was pretty flawless too - had it two weeks already and loving it. Being pedantic I have a small list of things to be addressed, but the build-quality is dramatically improved from previous generation

How are you getting long with the yoke? I really like it, much more than a traditional steering-wheel, but actuating the indicators when turning is a bit tricky - this could be solved by Tesla implementing a "Hey Tesla" Siri type thing, and you could tell it "Hey Tesla, indicate left"
The yoke is quite nice. At low speed it takes some getting used to, but I've been practicing before by not using the top half of the steering wheel. ;)

Here's a picture of my MXP and an overview of one half of the delivery center.

DSHB5146 (2).JPG
TBWQ5733.JPG

Not much you can't do with your voice in a Tesla these days and it is the only way to turn on/off the heated steering wheel/seats w/o turning on the HVAC. Which is super useful.
I put my heated seat icon on the bottom taskbar so it's always available, I assume you can do the same with the heated wheel.

This was the mistake, IMO. The Q2 GF3 C19 shutdown gave them a Mulligan to revise the annual forecast. They could have easily said they have the ambition to hit 50%, but given the lost production 45% was more realistic
At the end of Q2 they said it was “Possible” and they were pushing for it. They did not give the impression it was in the bag by any means.

Im still kinda confused. He said "1 million people in FSD Beta". Which seems to indicate that by tomorrow, there would be 1 million Tesla's actually on the roads with FSD Beta fully enabled.

But its only 285K right now with FSD Beta on the roads? Or again, am I misreading?
+1
Taking delivery tomorrow, MY w/ FSD

Audie, you cannot leave that drive-by jab without an explanation; I respect your opinion too much.

In the meantime, I'll double down and point out that that Tesla has a minimalism mindset that extends to function. It is not a huge jump to go from there to no-frills but highly utillitarian clean transport. No paint, no curves, no chrome, no leather ...
Bulleproof glass, a very large amount of a specialized stainless steel, a supremely complex suspension system - these are a few differentiating factors that are costly. As you mentioned production costs rather than capital costs - even amortized to a per-vehicle basis - I'll grant you that we can exclude the immense price of IDRA's casting machine, but the cast frame, even if it pencils out to the same cost as a traditional vehicle's multi-part steel allow frame, still represents a chunk of cost.
So....."not much more" doesn't pass the reality test in my opinion.

Bulleproof glass, a very large amount of a specialized stainless steel, a supremely complex suspension system - these are a few differentiating factors that are costly. As you mentioned production costs rather than capital costs - even amortized to a per-vehicle basis - I'll grant you that we can exclude the immense price of IDRA's casting machine, but the cast frame, even if it pencils out to the same cost as a traditional vehicle's multi-part steel allow frame, still represents a chunk of cost.
So....."not much more" doesn't pass the reality test in my opinion.
Safe to assume it will weigh more than 6k?

Im still kinda confused. He said "1 million people in FSD Beta". Which seems to indicate that by tomorrow, there would be 1 million Tesla's actually on the roads with FSD Beta fully enabled.

But its only 285K right now with FSD Beta on the roads? Or again, am I misreading?
I'm not sure why the current adoption number matters. If FSD continues to make steady improvement, adoption will explode sooner or later.

• Informative
Reactions: FireMedic
Last edited: