Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't imagine 2 years from now after WS sees what Tesla Energy is doing literally printing money, on top of all the IRA funds indirectly being funneled to TSLA, that we are not miles higher in share price than we are now.
Have to remind you that tesla get's a 0 P/E multiple for any money it gets from regulatory credits because they will go away eventually. At least, if you believe the talking heads.

That said, it should be good to fund some buybacks and arrest the dilution from RSUs, stock grants, etc. And may be a bit more. We will see.

none of that sounds all that sophisticated.

perhaps such glass on transport will be as commonplace as the screen protector on my iPad. Everyone uses them and the screens don’t break. $20 item on $1000 item is neglible
Most things don't seem all that sophisticated, yet still truck windows did get shattered by steel balls and the screens on two recently-traded-in-by-teenagers-of-mine phones did get minor cracks on the phone screens, despite the high-end screen protectors on top of said screens having valiantly given their all to (drastically) minimize the damage to the screens underneath... Bottom line, the real world is messy, and the march-of-nines on glass is no different than other march-of-nines.

Most things don't seem all that sophisticated, yet still truck windows did get shattered by steel balls and the screens on two recently-traded-in-by-teenagers-of-mine phones did get minor cracks on the phone screens, despite the high-end screen protectors on top of said screens having valiantly given their all to (drastically) minimize the damage to the screens underneath... Bottom line, the real world is messy, and the march-of-nines on glass is no different than other march-of-nines.
Teens though... the breaker of all things.

What is more complex about the cybertruck suspension compared to whats on let's say the X? Of course its bigger and the air suspension makes it more adaptable to changing weight, but otherwise?
The Model X is not an off-road vehicle; its suspension is not anywhere near so beefy as the CT's had better be; its air suspension nowhere close to having the large range the CT's had better have (220mm is a good ballpark figure); and with hundreds of thousands of Model Xs behind them, Tesla had better have solved the truly complex multi-point suspension problem that is the Model X's weakness: misalignment at the extremes of its relatively small "throw", or there are going to be an unacceptable amount of vociferously disappointed owners. Again, I'll grant you the sunk costs of such development...but attaining same still will require more - thus costlier - parts & (probably) assembly time (time=$).

Didn´t hear about that yet, CATL cell factory in Germany just started production according to WuWa:

I think MB main client for that factory

So you are suggesting when Tesla launched this… they had no clue what these things would cost and just plugged a number in to be revised later?

Doesn’t pass the WTF test in my opinion.

Tesla had a path to implementing this in the prices they laid out. For the dual motor, the only big/ potentially expensive change since launch was 4WS. Otherwise it makes zero sense for them to launch it the way they did.
My reaction when seeing the prices shown during launch was: "Ugh. This sounds as though Tesla did not learn much from their "Cheaper than traditional solar panels...or roofs!..." with the launch of their solar tiles." How did that one perform on your test?

The yoke is quite nice. At low speed it takes some getting used to, but I've been practicing before by not using the top half of the steering wheel. ;)

Here's a picture of my MXP and an overview of one half of the delivery center.

View attachment 890451View attachment 890453

Wow look at that vast array of unsold, unwanted cars. Demand clearly going downhill.

Cost reductions are independent of demand. It may enable price reductions at the discretion of the manufacturer, but they could have also kept prices the same to enable larger gross margins with lower cost. Also, Elon on the twitter spaces call said that interest rates are crushing the auto market. That implies that there is reduced demand in the auto market. You may or may not agree that is the cause, but he is talking about demand. Every negative point isn't FUD.
I did not say ’every’ did I? I said ‘largely’. The overall market issues are clear, the impact on Tesla less so. Elon’s points do not negate mine.

Wow look at that vast array of unsold, unwanted cars. Demand clearly going downhill.
Just watch, it will be parroted by a Reuters article soon.

Lmao, love it Prof Siegel is on CNBC and he poses the questioon, why should we believe the FED? Then he proceeds to tear apart the popsicle sticks that make up their house.

Small sample of just 4 countries (Germany alone had that many registrations in just Oct-Nov), but nice to see them up about 40% over Q4 2021!

Screenshot 2022-12-30 at 21.56.41.png

You just said you are comfortable with the government making new laws to handicap the most successful companies by using taxpayer funded programs to prop up the laggards so that under-performing companies can be more competitive. This rewards mediocrity and punishes excellence while making us all pay more.

Our economic system called capitalism works because it rewards the best solutions at the lowest costs. It allocates capital to companies that are efficient, companies that meet consumer needs in the best and most efficient manner are naturally encouraged to grow and expand while it encourages inefficient producers, those who have proven to not meet consumer needs in the most desirable and lowest cost manner to either improve or to leave the market to those companies with a proven ability to meet consumer needs efficiently. That is why competition is central to capitalism and its why capitalism is the only proven economic system to improve the standard of living of a society. Corrupt it and it fails to function properly.

I'm not sure you understand how undermining the foundation of competitive markets rigs the game and creates mediocrity, inefficiency and failure of the economic system as a whole while reducing economic prosperity for all. This is idiocy at it's finest and why I am so opposed to teaching kids in schools that everyone gets a first-place ribbon just for participating. That you don't need to actually perform to be rewarded. It's not reality and you can't build a productive society when mediocrity is rewarded over efficiency. It simply doesn't work.

Tesla is showing industry what has been lost over the years, why manufacturing jobs have moved to China, why nothing works anymore (reference Electrify America and other N. American EV charging networks) and why the middle class is being squeezed economically. Good intentions do not necessarily result in good results. People need to wake up and let capitalism work. There is nothing wrong with large companies going bankrupt, it would the result of their own malfeasance. Propping up companies that are no longer performing adequately does not make for a better society, it leads to economic sickness. How short-sighted can people be?

Well, no. What I hoped to impart is that if I can't do anything about it, I don't think this will slow Tesla down much.

It seems kinda silly to go through life expecting the agents of government to not serve their special interests. I have no spare time to whine about human nature. Just deal the cards and I'll see if the hand is playable. This one is.

With that in mind I believe that if it ends up this way, it will not be a burden on Tesla. ( I agree with Elon )

However, it will be a burden on the other OEMs as they won't be able to make enough vehicles at scale to actually reap the needed reward needed to keep them solvent.

You didn't really think I believe that crap is okay, do you? That wasn't what I was writing about. Sorry that your irony filter was maladjusted when you read it.

Last edited:
My reaction when seeing the prices shown during launch was: "Ugh. This sounds as though Tesla did not learn much from their "Cheaper than traditional solar panels...or roofs!..." with the launch of their solar tiles." How did that one perform on your test?
At least you are honest about your skepticism at launch prices. If the problem was the launch pricing was $30,000 off, then their solar roof problem is going to tiny by comparison to this.

I’ll not drag this out anymore.

Speaking of fool's errands, here's a little secret, and I don't know whether it can be correlated, but the last couple of days I've either built trail or rode my E-mtb and I have noticed this odd color on the NASDAQ page for TSLA when I have returned.

So, I'm going out again later this morning to see if the trend is really my friend.

In the mean time I'll let the TA folks chew on this data(?) and look forward to seeing what their tea leaves might say about cause/effect.

I'm all about taking one for the team if it helps. :cool:

HODL

I'm 3 for 3. ;)

Going out tomorrow too, can someone get them to open the trading floor?