Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is this going to be another Hertz moment? Positive mainstream news about Tesla that actually isn't too important in the grand scheme of the company's growth story, but drives retail and institutional buying?

Speaking of Hertz-so-good, the WH press release this morning also let slip this juicy tidbit: (should be good for Tesla sales)

"Hertz’s objective is to make one-quarter of its fleet electric by the end of 2024."​

Last edited:
And edible food.

They have an excellent Cobb Salad, and I enjoyed their Coconut Cream Pie pudding just last night and found it to be quite edible. 😋

Particularly enhanced was the experience of visiting, as I got to see a bevy of Teslas at the Superchargers and in the parking lot. My portfolio tingles every time I see a Tesla in the wild. :cool:

Last edited:
As EV costs come down and everyone has multiple friends and family members talking up their EVs, the last remaining concern for EV holdouts is charging on road trips.

Todays WH announcement is the best of all worlds for Tesla on that score. It sends a strong message that many more superchargers are coming, while maintaining the lion’s share of Tesla’s superchargers as exclusive to Tesla.

For those concerned about road trips, the best EV to buy is still Tesla, hands down.

They have an excellent Cobb Salad, and I enjoyed their Coconut Cream Pie pudding just last night and found it to be quite edible. 😋

Particularly enhanced was the experience of visiting, as I got to see a bevy of Teslas at the Superchargers and in the parking lot. My portfolio tingles every time I see a Tesla in the wild. :cool:
Still pre-market so just let me say this.

The VAST majority of food at these places is poison, highly processed "food" full of sugar.
The VAST majority of people you see there accurately portray the inevitable result of eating said products.

Elon filed his annual SC 13G/A* for 2022 today. It lists both his TSLA shares held as of Dec 31, 2022 and share options:

Item 4.

Ownership.

Provide the following information regarding the aggregate number and percentage of the class of securities of the issuer identified in Item 1.

(a)​

Amount beneficially owned: 716,022,963 shares which includes (i) 412,051,833 shares of Common Stock held by the Elon Musk Revocable Trust dated July 22, 2003 and (ii) options to purchase 303,971,130 shares of Common Stock that are exercisable within 60 days of December 31, 2022.​

(b)​

Percent of class: 20.6% (percentage ownership is calculated based on 3,163,685,267 shares of Common Stock outstanding as of December 31, 2022 and assumes that the shares of Common Stock underlying the stock options are deemed outstanding pursuant to SEC Rule 13d-3(d)(1)(i)).​

Notes on the purpose of SEC Schedule 13G/A:

Key Takeaways
  • Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Schedule 13G form is used to report a party's ownership of stock which exceeds 5% of a company's total stock issue. ...
  • Schedule 13G is a shorter version of Schedule 13D with fewer reporting requirements.

Would you kindly explain ii) options to purchase 303,971,130 shares of Common Stock that are exercisable within 60 days of December 31, 2022? Assume these are all incentive stock options (ISO) from his compensation plan, but the date confuses me.

Would you kindly explain ii) options to purchase 303,971,130 shares of Common Stock that are exercisable within 60 days of December 31, 2022? Assume these are all incentive stock options (ISO) from his compensation plan, but the date confuses me.

I'm no authority for SEC reporting requirements, but sounds like if a 5+% share owner holds options as well as shares, those also have to be reported. The 60 days is likely an extended cut-off deadline/rule to make the reports more representative, given year-end accounting delays.

For instance, Elon's 12th tranche did not vest legally until Tesla filed their 10-K with the SEC on Jan 31, 2023. With this 60-day rule, those extra share options would also need to be reported, even though Elon didn't have them yet as of the year-end (Dec 31, 2022).

Last edited:
It's indicating they are able to be executed within 60 days, not that they must be executed within 60 days. Ability to exercise them in 60 day is a threshold for beneficial ownership. 17 CFR § 240.13d-3 - Determination of beneficial owner..
Dec 31 is due to being an annual disclosure.

(It gave me a double take also)

Still pre-market so just let me say this.

The VAST majority of food at these places is poison, highly processed "food" full of sugar.
The VAST majority of people you see there accurately portray the inevitable result of eating said products.
That's true of nearly every commercial U.S. food vendor, not just this one in particular. Plus, Popeye's and Micky D's don't have Superchargers. :rolleyes: (yet)

Just like with ICE vs BEV, in the end isn't it better to focus on filtering for making good choices. (hence the mention of a Buc-ees Salad) There are usually a few good choices available amongst the purveyors of poor choices. Whether that be auto manufacturers or food outlets.

There is more benefit to be had in accentuating how to find the good choices available than to arbitrarily paint a business (that has Tesla Superchargers) with such a wide brush of negativity.

And edible food.
WHAT? 👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇👇

BDEFBB50-D9A7-4CD5-8F5D-6716BF06B01F.jpeg

He said the conference was a planning committee on how to "double" (yes he said double) Supercharger capacity in the next 18 months or so. I didn't ask him to clarify whether he meant just the lower 48 states of the U.S. or the world or what, but he said with how many Teslas Tesla has been selling, they need to expand the Supercharger network and fast. Seems impossible to me, but I'm just reporting what he said.

Spot on with your anecdote!

The white house announcement (see below) is good news on several fronts. It APPEARS Tesla MAY HAVE avoided the whole need to install credit card readers for payment as the article references the need for CCS plugs but has an "app" for payment. If true, that was undoubtedly part of the "discussion " Musk had while in Washington. In addition, the Destination chargers are an easy win given that even 3rd parties have offered adapters for those for years.
Finally, this is a huge step toward what I believe was always Tesla's goal - Energy. They never wanted to be the next GM, VW, Toyota. They wanted to be the next ExxonMobil.
Remember...he who controls the Spice, controls the universe!

Tesla opens charging network