Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Took a while to find, but this appears to be legit. An additional $7500 for lower-income individuals (400% of the federal poverty level):

(click on "How often do CVRP program requirements change?" and then scroll down to the "Summary of February 28, 2023 updates"

Tesla sold 1 in 9 cars in Cali in 2022. That's only going to go up, a lot, after this. Currently the program has 370M+ in available funding:

4 times federal poverty level is 54k/year for an individual. Someone with that income in California would buy a $5k beat up Honda, not a new Tesla. Exception being a newly graduated student.

This announcement from the Biden administration feels like a shift in policy. Originally, the money was to be funneled through the states. Now the Biden admin is announcing what seems to be a National agreement between Tesla and the government.
The announcement doesn't say anything about Tesla getting funding. The money is still all going through the states/territories.

Adding their magic doc to a Supercharger probably costs Tesla $5,000 or less per stall. This gives the administration a huge win here and Tesla clearly pockets a lot of cash for doing it. Hopefully we’ll see the network expanding faster than the number of stalls getting converted to new vehicles so existing owners aren’t impacted as much.

Just installing a MagicDock wouldn't make Tesla qualify for funding. Current installs don't have a big enough grid feed/transformer and enough V3 cabinets to qualify for the NEVI AFC funding. (Unless they game it and cripple the remaining Tesla only stalls.)

I still think Tesla is not going to go after much, if any, NEVI funding, and that the Superchargers they open will be on their own dime, just like they have done in Europe/UK/Australia.

The announcement doesn't say anything about Tesla getting funding. The money is still all going through the states/territories.

Just installing a MagicDock wouldn't make Tesla qualify for funding. Current installs don't have a big enough grid feed/transformer and enough V3 cabinets to qualify for the NEVI AFC funding. (Unless they game it and cripple the remaining Tesla only stalls.)

I still think Tesla is not going to go after much, if any, NEVI funding, and that the Superchargers they open will be on their own dime, just like they have done in Europe/UK/Australia.
Even if they don't qualify for NEVI funding, there's still around $3B in funding for charging infrastructure in the IRA.

Seriously doubt Tesla/ Musk would have given the administration some sort of promise about how many non-Tesla chargers they would install if there wasn’t some kind of agreement in place. It makes no sense from Tesla’s end to let the administration announce this when there is no benefit to them.

While what you say makes sense, the idea this was some kind of freebie/ charity give-away to the administration is pretty unlikely.

The cost of software features is not included in the $80K cap. A Tesla customer can buy a $79K Model Y and add a $15K FSD option on top of that and still qualify for the full $7,500 tax credit.
Whoops! Thanks for the correction @StealthP3D ! You are, of course, correct that software does not fall under the cap...just a $15k error on my part! I guess the room to increase is a lot larger!!!

Yep, no credit card reader required. But you do have to have an automated toll-free number for people to use to make payment. (SMS for payment is an option as well.) So the app can't be the only method.

No current Tesla Supercharger infrastructure qualifies for funding. It required that every funded port be capable of providing 150kW anytime a vehicle asks for it. (Power sharing is only allowed above 150kW.) V3 Superchargers generally have ~90kW available per port when all are in use. To meet the requirement Tesla would have to get a larger grid connection/transformer and double the number of charging cabinets. (Only 2 stalls per cabinet.)

They could pull "tricks" like having only 4 NEVI funded ports per site, but that would cripple the other Supercharger stalls at the site. (For example, a typical 12 stall V3 site has a ~1000kW transformer, if you dedicated 600kW of that for 4 NEVI funded stalls that would only leave 400kW for the other 8 stalls, or 50kW per stall if they were all in use at the same time.)

What they could do is up the grid feed/transformer to 1500kW and add an additional V3 cabinet, to make 4 NEVI stalls, at 150kW minimum, and use the remaining 900kW for the 8 NACS only stalls. But I am sure that non-Tesla drivers would be very upset if they arrive, and the 4 NEVI/CCS stalls were in use by Tesla vehicles, and they couldn't use any of the open 8 NACS stalls. (I guess Telsa could put CCS connectors on all of them, even if they weren't funded by NEVI so wouldn't require the minimum 150kW output.)

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
One question is how long is 150kW required for?

If a site had a native ability to support 90kW and all cars tapered to that rate after 10 mins. Then 60kW / 6 = 10kWh to top up a single session.

If the maths is right, a single Megapack could top up 300 sessions before we are falling back to trickle charging of that Megapack. Odviously the Megapack adds a significant about of cost.

Solar at the charger site also helps, but adds costs.

Your point about existing sites needing reworking is valid.

Needing to support this 150kW standard also means charging is faster, and provided it can be sustained, stall utilzation can be higher.

Curious about the details of opening superchargers to all EV's:
1) Is Tesla getting incentives for making current stations accessible?
2) Will all chargers at each location be available for all EV's?
3) Will there still be any dedicated Tesla only plugs?

This could potentially be an enormous benefit to all EV's other than Tesla, while being of significant detriment to Tesla owners.
I’m starting to not buy what you’ve been selling the last couple days.

*Begins preparations for a dramatic turn of events*

That's like signing up to bring napkins to the team potluck party. 💩

But I was planning on bringing these ones!

1676495891427.jpeg

One question is how long is 150kW required for?

If a site had a native ability to support 90kW and all cars tapered to that rate after 10 mins. Then 60kW / 6 = 10kWh to top up a single session.

If the maths is right, a single Megapack could top up 300 sessions before we are falling back to trickle charging of that Megapack. Odviously the Megapack adds a significant about of cost.
So are you not going to use the Megapack for non-NEVI charging? ie. for all the Teslas/Kias/Lightnings/Rivians/Lucids/etc. charging at up to 250kW? I don't have the energy right now to try to calculate out if a Megapack could support a single high volume site during a high-volume event. (Holiday/Conference/meteor shower weekend, etc.)

But using NEVI funding to install Megapacks at Supercharger sites could be a plus for Tesla. (Not that they have an excess capacity of Megapacks available.)

Don't forget that some states, like Oregon, require at least one 350kW stall at each NEVI site. But I guess you could install a third-party charger for that in addition to the Superchargers, but that would probably significantly complicate the power sharing implementation.

Reactions: MC3OZ