Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not a question, that's repeating FUD. Tesla is way ahead of this issue. The people you're quoting from twitter are bottom-feeders. When someone spreads fear of the latest 'concern-of-the-day' that can' be disproven for month or years, that's a disinformation campaign. (China? What? No! Europe!) Add in a PATREON account, and ur golden, right?
I'm not quoting anyone-nor saying it's an issue. I'm asking the question-are China-spec cars identical to European-spec ones? As I said, I honestly don't know.

Reactions: CyberDutchie
I'm not quoting anyone-nor saying it's an issue. I'm asking the question-are China-spec cars identical to European-spec ones? As I said, I honestly don't know.
No, but it doesn't matter. (The main difference is that Europe uses CCS Type 2 and China us GB/T AC and GBT/T DC inlets.)

The thread you were replying to was about "excess" inventory in Europe. Tesla was not stupid and sent Chinese vehicles to Europe where they couldn't be sold.

We'd typically expect short-term offers to be used to clear out excess inventory prior to a spec change (or to manage a political change, such as to peak shave demand interruptions from a political tax/grant/etc incentive).

(I don't follow those aspects that closely so I can't myself answer that. I just assume Tesla knows enough to do this right).
You are correct IMHO. People here rarely seem to understand the difference between Tesla direct sales and everyone else through dealers.
Everyone else gives discounts to consumers to dealers or both but do not change MSRP. maintaining a thin illusion of price stability even though dealers routinely gouge their customers on finance, additional gimmicks etc.
Tesla gives a single price and has not tried to make money on F&I. When they change a price everyone goes bonkers, "too high", "too low", "demand is out the roof:, "demand collapsed".
None fo that is actually happening, Tesla, like rational sellers raises or lowers prices depending on market conditions including eliminating inventory prior to major product changes.
There is no mystery, no problem, this is just the hysteria of ignorance. The pundits who forecast sales get clicks from hysteria, we should never forget that our 'esteemed' favorites also are paid by the click and subscribers. Hysteria sells.

Anybody who doubts these facts and wants to check can see Automotive News which every week shows consumer and dealer incentives for every OEM by model and year...except Tesla, that does not engage in such deceptive practices and simply tells everyone what their selling price is right on their website.

These debates are patently ridiculous. Everyone who's ever bought a car should know prices go down the second you buy a car, and values vary depending on many variables. Tesla sometimes has been an exception when waiting lists were more than a year long.

Are any of the price drops or special offers associated with a significant specification change (e.g. HW3 > HW4) ? We'd typically expect short-term offers to be used to clear out excess inventory prior to a spec change (or to manage a political change, such as to peak shave demand interruptions from a political tax/grant/etc incentive). Whereas longer term price changes would tend to be associated with significant longer term production capacity changes (or say, longer term demand environment changes, if we have evidence for such a thing yet).

(I don't follow those aspects that closely so I can't myself answer that. I just assume Tesla knows enough to do this right).
There are definitely plethora potential reasons for these moves, ranging from spec changes to refreshes to just wanting to move as many vehicles as possible before a quarter ends. And then we can get into chicken-or-egg discussions, like whether spec changes and refreshes drive the clearing of inventory or whether Tesla identified a trend that allowed them to shut down assembly lines and do a refresh to light a new demand fire.

The more detail you try to go into, the less realistic it becomes to track unless its your full-time job lol

Tesla is saving energy and time by doing less cooling in the die. The outside storage is now part of the process flow.
Interesting-makes a lot of sense. Less time cooling in the die increases throughput through an expensive piece of capital equipment. Thanks for the info. Another benefit (perhaps minor) is getting them outside to cool in air reduces the heating of the plant, reducing AC needs. Although I question if the section doing the die casting is air conditioned. There would be a big heat load anyway off the dies, ladle and casting equipment, as well as the reverb furnace. used to melt the aluminum.

Euro spec Tesla are manufactured in Germany, the US and China, depending on the model.
China-spec Tesla are manufactured in China and the US.
Each factory can do and does differently specified cars, with battery and equipments that varies. Model Y built in Germany has different color and equipment options than are for those made in China. Except to nerdy people such as some of us, it makes no difference to a consumer which factory it comes from.

No, but it doesn't matter. (The main difference is that Europe uses CCS Type 2 and China us GB/T AC and GBT/T DC inlets.)

The thread you were replying to was about "excess" inventory in Europe. Tesla was not stupid and sent Chinese vehicles to Europe where they couldn't be sold.
Thanks for the correction-I was under the impression it was dealing with Chinese (China spec) cars sitting in Shanghai inventory. Ones that could not simply be sent to Europe. We end up with so many threads it's tough to keep them straight sometime.

Technically the Delorean didn't have "stainless body panels". They had plastic panels (or fiberglass, sources vary) with a thin SS foil for appearance.
I'm not sure that's an accurate characterization.

"There are eight exterior stainless steel body parts, including the front left and right fenders, the rear left and right fenders, the gull-wing doors, the hood, and the roof “T-panel.” The panels are connected to a molded fiberglass shell with internal foam and steel reinforcements,"

DeLoreanStainlessSteelPanels-1.jpg

Troy's latest estimates basically have production and deliveries flat in Q1 vs Q4.

Tesla report EPS of $1.09 in Q4. That was boosted about $0.1 by FSD revenue recognition.

With the massive price cuts w/o any increase in volume, this means ASP's will be trending down more heavily than any COGS decrease.

So excluding energy, automotive contribution must decrease from the $1 Q4 print.

Perhaps $0.9 EPS print this quarter?

I'm not sure that's an accurate characterization.

"There are eight exterior stainless steel body parts, including the front left and right fenders, the rear left and right fenders, the gull-wing doors, the hood, and the roof “T-panel.” The panels are connected to a molded fiberglass shell with internal foam and steel reinforcements,"

DeLoreanStainlessSteelPanels-1.jpg
You might be right-that differs from what I had read. Here is some more info. Seems as if there was a metal spine (frame) to which a fiberglass and steel shell structure was mounted, with metal skin/panels mounted to that. Slightly different than what I had read, or at least interpreted. DMC DeLorean - Wikipedia

Is it really though? At this point you still have to have the Tesla app, a Tesla account, and start the charge via the Tesla app. The only difference is it is billed to your "Chargemap Pass" instead of a credit card.

Sure, there is more on the back end, but as far as the user is concerned, the only difference is selecting a different payment method.

Well Chargemap now has the availability of each supercharger in its app (although all the supercharger sites I looked at had all their chargers listed as available, which is very unlikely, so there’s probably still something wrong).
With a roaming system in-car navigation in non-Tesla’s can take superchargers into account into their routes.
And having 1 provider like Chargemap removes the need to deal with invoices from multiple charge providers.
So there will be advantages to the user that are beyond just payment.

That's not a question, that's repeating FUD. Tesla is way ahead of this issue. The people you're quoting from twitter are bottom-feeders. When someone spreads fear of the latest 'concern-of-the-day' that can' be disproven for month or years, that's a disinformation campaign. (China? What? No! Europe!) Add in a PATREON account, and ur golden, right?
I think we do ourselfs a disservice by going hard against anyone who points out the obvious. Troy and Rob (Tesla Daily) were correct last quarter and a lot of hopium bulls here were wrong.

I'd rather hear all sides and make up my mind than try to censure people by going hard against them.