Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Byd numbers up close. Only the yuan +, a similar range car to a Tesla at 15k cheaper is getting any sales. Their premium Seal that is a Tesla competitor no one is buying. The dolphin is a 180mi car priced at 50% of a Tesla Sr. Byd did not establish themselves as a premium brand in China.

Last edited:
The more I learn about Tesla, the more I confirm my suspicions as I looked at technology growth and pondered as to why legacy automakers seemed to always lag decades behind, failing to implement widely used technologies we saw appear in so many other consumer products.

It was frustrating for me owning cars over the years and being so consistently disappointed, while working in tech industries and knowing they could do this or that much better. Granted, finally, they began including many up-charge items, like cruise control, AC, power locks/windows, etc. as standard features. They could have done so much earlier, and brought more innovation to their products as well. Seeing Tesla do this as a matter of course is the proof that it can happen in the auto sector as easily as it did in computers, entertainment products, etc.

Looking back with a perspective now based upon what Tesla has done, and is doing, in regard to actually keeping their product on the cutting edge of tech it seems almost disrespectful to a consumer the way the legacy OEMs have dragged their feet, unable to innovate and improve both the product and the manufacturing process.

Tesla has demonstrated that not only can it be done, but, it can be done quickly enough to completely disrupt the entire sector. In doing so they have pulled back the curtain on the "wizards" of legacy auto to show how they only made improvements when they had to, rather than doing so as a matter of pride in their work. They have been resting on their laurels since sometime shortly after the transition from horse and buggy. Is it any wonder that so many of them, and the ideology from top management down to union workers on the line, will at best struggle to remain relevant in the least degree if they don't go away completely.

I say bring the MM's up and downs, the shorties plays, and lay down the FUD as thick as possible, Tesla has already reached escape velocity and is comfortably in orbit looking down upon all the players so desperate to maintain their status quo. Whatever they are trying to preserve from the past, whether it be fossil fuels, century-old manufacturing processes, or playing fast and loose within the bounds of a rigged stock market, the effects upon Tesla have been minimal and temporary.

"Unassailable lead" is the term SMR has used for years, and it really does best describe the situation.

Bring on more of these shenanigans.

I ain't skeered. I hold shares of TSLA.

Boy, the lawyers running the class action suit against Tesla must be getting desperate for retail investors to sign up. Press releases everywhere for the last week. Don't miss out on the opportunity to help screw the best company and investment to exist in the 21st century!

Dowd can bite me.

Last edited:
Byd numbers up close. Only the yuan +, a similar range car to a Tesla at 15k cheaper is getting any sales. Their premium Seal that is a Tesla competitor no one is buying. The dolphin is a 180mi car priced at 50% of a Tesla Sr. Byd did not establish themselves as a premium brand in China.

True, they have done much better with busses, taxis and stationary storage.

• Informative
Reactions: MC3OZ and JusRelax

BYD almost has too many models and variants for a casual observer to keep track of, but I think the Song, Han, and Seal are all kinda approaching or in the same price territory. CnEV post has better breakdowns by month than trying to add up tweets, as we know most of Tesla's local China sales come in the third month of the quarter but I don't know if that's the case for BYD, NIO, etc.

Original Roadster pricing was $99K, then was increased to $109K and then went up to around $125K for the last version I think
Original Roadster pricing was $99K, then was increased to $109K and then went up to around $125K for the last version I think.
correct on the pricing and there was a LOT of cost removed as they went from the 1.5 to the 2.0 to ensure they were cash flow positive.

Reactions: JRP3
Looks like the FSD Beta version with the OTA fix for the FSD Beta recall is now being tested under NDA by Tesla employees:

1678203327013.png

)Tesla service is becoming another positive like Superchargers. Friday night I was charging up for an opera weekend and at 10:30 at night I discovered the car was going nuts. I got on the app and in 15 minutes Tesla had diagnosed a bad battery and advised that the tow truck would arrive in 45 minutes. Saturday morning I was at Tesla at 9:00 being given a S loaner, and I continued on with my plans. A friend of mine with a Mercedes during business hours waited 4 hours and MB wasn’t going to even look at it for several days.

IIRC Troy thinks that inventory is actually five times higher then this because of doubles not being shown.
In December I actually went to to 2 stores here in NJ and looked at the inventory versus what was posted. Ok it was hard to match cars but the total number was about what was on the website. This information was sent to Troy.

I just think Tesla does a good job at avoiding duplicates as they have complete control of the inventory. The inventory would need to be a few orders of magnitude higher to force them into a situation where they have duplicates at a given store.

In December I actually went to to 2 stores here in NJ and looked at the inventory versus what was posted. Ok it was hard to match cars but the total number was about what was on the website. This information was sent to Troy.

I just think Tesla does a good job at avoiding duplicates as they have complete control of the inventory. The inventory would need to be a few orders of magnitude higher to force them into a situation where they have duplicates at a given store.
We can do something of a sanity check on this by looking at price changes relative to inventory at that time while asking "would these price changes happen at that inventory level?" Would Tesla cut prices by $3750-7500 because there are 200-600 vehicles in stock?

tn5MmlM.jpg

I see inventory trending upwards as a sign of excess supply and that needs to be front-run to ensure supply is balanced with demand. What the numbers represent in terms of physical vehicles, who knows, but trending up = bad and trending down or staying stable = good.

From the looks that is just in France right now, and you are still using the Tesla app, it is just that you setup Chargemap as your payment method/credit card in the Tesla app:

View attachment 913373

So no different than just selecting a different credit card in the Tesla app.

You are still using the Tesla app to start/pay for charging, so I assume the same rate depending on if you pay for the Tesla monthly subscription or not.

It turns out that it’s much more than “selecting a different credit card”: Tesla joins Gireve's platform to open its Superchargers - Gireve

Tesla integrated with the biggest roaming provider in Europe to enable this.
I would expect more charge cards to provide access to superchargers in the near future.

Hopefully it means the roaming integration will enable Tesla drivers to use their Tesla account to charge at non-Tesla chargers too in the future.

The more I learn about Tesla, the more I confirm my suspicions as I looked at technology growth and pondered as to why legacy automakers seemed to always lag decades behind, failing to implement widely used technologies we saw appear in so many other consumer products.

It was frustrating for me owning cars over the years and being so consistently disappointed, while working in tech industries and knowing they could do this or that much better. Granted, finally, they began including many up-charge items, like cruise control,
In the 90s and 2000s I remember my Dad making a comment along those lines. Seeing the incredibly fast pace of growth in tech, Moore's law etc. he liked to joke that if the auto industry moved as fast as the tech industry we would all be driving Ferraris for the price of a Camry. (I don't recall the exact commuter car he used )

And hey, guess what? My car that is in the ballpark of a Camry in terms of TCO will utterly annihilate Ferraris of that time period and will still embarrass a few modern ones.

Edit, and yes I got him into TSLA, and at a better price than when I started. (he got in early 2019)

Last edited:
This looks promising from an InsideEvs article(taken from a twitter post):

"According to Tesla, cars with FSD Beta engaged experienced a crash that resulted in airbag deployment every 3.2 million miles. Meanwhile, Tesla says the US average based on the most recent police-reported stats is an airbag-deployed accident every 600,000 miles."