Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @Papafox! You are a huge asset to this community.

Could you (or someone knowledgeable on this topic) explain the ramifications of this as if I was a 5 year old? Blackrock wants to buy calls on $10MM of TSLA? I don't understand why that would be such a bullish signal?

'cuz FOMO. :p

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2023-05-31.15-55.png

Thanks @Papafox! You are a huge asset to this community.

Could you (or someone knowledgeable on this topic) explain the ramifications of this as if I was a 5 year old? Blackrock wants to buy calls on $10MM of TSLA? I don't understand why that would be such a bullish signal?
Anyone buying calls (like what blackrock is trying to do) is bullish. $10M worth of calls is Uber bullish since it is a one way bet. If you guess wrong on the timing that $10M is worth nothing. Blackrock are sophisticated investors so this is a good sign…

TSLA goes up.... all other mega (NVDA, APPL, MSFT, GOOG) caps drop. Something strange? nah! :rolleyes:

RIVN, NIO, and the other EV makers all spiked at the same time. Even NKLA jumped nearly a penny! Ford and other legacy OEMs stayed flat though.

My guess is speculation on a Chinese announcement before market open tomorrow.

RIVN, NIO, and the other EV makers all spiked at the same time. Even NKLA jumped nearly a penny! Ford and other legacy OEMs stayed flat though.

My guess is speculation on a Chinese announcement before market open tomorrow.
Doesn't explain Apple falling off a cliff at the same time, taking the entire index with it.

Last edited:
Elon has said many times they expect (nearly- not the AP1 or pre-AP models obvously) all the Teslas on the road to be capable as robotaxis without needing HW4.

One can certainly doubt the current HW will turn out capable of it (and Tesla has been wrong on that point multiple times in the past- so that's a super reasonable doubt- indeed it's one I share)- but that's the current claim.

The inductive thing is...just a picture.... and it's pretty clearly L2 charging, not supercharging, given it's in a home garage with a wall charger (and would almost certainly still require HW none of the cars on the road today actually have- let alone what the cars would need to supercharge)
There is loaning out one's own car for additional income, and then there is a company owned RT intent fleet.
Having an Optimus detail your car before getting it back would be a plus.

Much learning can be obtained in the Wheel options thread. However, suffice it to say: writing/selling covered calls (CCs) is a bet that the stock price will NOT exceed a certain level by a certain time. Hence a bearish bet, though limited in time and SP level.
The original post by @Papafox said BlackRock asked his friend to write covered calls. Therefore BlackRock wanted to buy calls from the friend... a bullish bet.

(Yes, this implies that the friend is holding tens of millions of dollars of TSLA).

20%-25% loss is not worth it. Elon said it many years ago. Unless the losses have been improved.
They've been improved quite a bit. Save the money on a snake charger or robot and any difference in efficiency quickly becomes meaningless.

The Department of Energy’s Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) upgraded its previous 20 kW wireless charging system to 120 kW, and through a new design and a silicon carbide power electronic device, it was able to achieve 97% efficiency.

Except currently *checks notes*...zero...out of about 4 million Teslas (and it'll be ~5 million by end of year) on the road are outfitted specifically as robotaxis while Tesla has released images of inductive charging. 😉
How much does it cost to add inductive charging to a car? How much would the typical customer pay to upgrade to inductive?

In the case of Supercharging via inductive, a 10-20% slower charge means they have to build 10-20% more charging spaces and people are waiting longer to charge up. It's also more expensive for the customer, and Tesla would have to accommodate more capacity.

There is a lot more going on that just a small amount of energy loss.

Seems to me like inductive charging is most likely a home charging convenience. Maybe a bolt on accessory for the 3/Y and included on the S/X.