Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The standards group that came up with CCS is PISSED about the Ford/Tesla deal.

Sounds like GM or someone like them wrote that response.

My response to this - if there is a next time, don't build such a crappy standard.

I doubt oil or gas prices are going anywhere until we see real traction in the global economy.

Plus, I don't see where anyone is measuring, but the BEV sales are starting to have a real impact. It is going to be a tough slog for OPEC to spike prices without what some people might categorize as 'unimaginable' cuts to production. And finally, cuts are all talk. SA is trying to lead by example and take one for the team. We'll see how that goes.

I am sure Russia will totally be honest and cut production as they say to help out the team. ;)

I also haven't seen where anyone is measuring the impact of BEV sales on oil. Would be interesting to see as well as a good projection over the next 5-7 years or so. China, followed by Europe, seem to be moving fast on the transition to BEVs. That has to put a huge dent in oil needs. 🤷‍♂️ Plus you have people like me (2 car family) that have one EV and one ICE car but almost exclusively drive the EV for everything. Which makes me think that EVsare replacing ICE cars in high mileage use cases.

I just finished this interview, it's really very good. I like Farley a lot, seems brutally honest and straightforward even about the bad stuff.
He resembles, in some respects, Herbert Diess. Excessive candor can be debilitating if union, supplier and bureaucratic resistance coincide.

Mr. Farley began at Toyota as the Lexus GM, arriving just as the launch began. (FWIW, at the time I was working as a consultant for another OEM based just a few blocks away, and worked closely about a year later with a couple of Farley's direct reports. Back then he was regarded as destined for much greater things, and I was told he was even then enamored of electric car potential and frustrated by Toyota quest for efficiency within existing technology above searching for new ones. Those comments I found in my ancient notes the other day.

Then he was regarded as having unusually well-developed sensitivity for cultural issues. I understand that his birth and early childhood in Buenos Aires coupled with wide travels while a small child helped him avoid traditional nationalistic attitudes. That probably explains, in part, how he was one of the first people to see the potential for web-influencer marketing:
"One of Farley’s earliest successes at Ford came with the technology-heavy Ford Fiesta in 2009. Instead of unveiling a new car model with an enormous television campaign, Farley decided to tap into a relatively new market: YouTube influencers and their devoted following. Ford gave 100 new Fiestas to young, popular YouTube stars to drive around for a few months and review for their followers. Six and a half million hits later, the Ford Fiesta’s marketing campaign changed the game."

The fundamental question is whether Farley can avoid the pitfalls that demolished Diess.
With longtime family roots in Grosse Pointe, though he did not grow up there, he still speaks "Michigander" as a nearly maternal language. Those rare combined elements set him apart from other legacy auto CEO's.
Might all that not end out being a very positive contribution to the TSLA investment history?
...and maybe to the F one too?

A more personal perspective on Mr. Farley comes from an alumni biography:

After reading all that, and reflecting on the 1989-1990 Lexus time I personally suspect that the Elon/Farley connections will strengthen. After all, his grandfather certainly helped him to understand brilliant but flawed people. He had direct contact with Ford, Firestone and Edison from those very early years and was extremely disciplined and a polymath who taught young Jim Farley those lessons.

This all will lead to great things for us all, IMO. It really will be quite rapid too, for the TSLA side , at least.

I thought Tesla paying for advertising would stop articles like this!!!! Can someone remind me how many Hummer EV's were sold last year please?

1685974445643.png

ugh GM ... they have 0 interest in building BEVs... this time could be the end for GM ... I certainly hope so ... they have hade enough chances
Speaking of which, has anyone else noticed that all (maybe almost) GM commercials currently on TV are for ICE vehicles? Until recently they were all for Cadillac BEV's that didn't yet exist...

This will be interesting.

Plus, I don't see where anyone is measuring, but the BEV sales are starting to have a real impact.

These are low-ball numbers:

Electric vehicles expected to displace 2.7 MMbbl of oil per day by 2030 | enverus.com

How EV Adoption Will Impact Oil Consumption (2015-2025P) | elements.visualcapitalist.com

And as Tesla details in Master Plan 3, road transportation is just the start of electrification of the economy. Will be good for business, good for jobs, good for the environment. Ironically, also will be good for ENERGY companies (when they finally realize that carbon is STORAGE, not a SOURCE of energy).

Cheers!

My response to this - if there is a next time, don't build such a crappy standard.
To be clear, GM never had much to do with CharIN. The 'committee' was dominated by electric utilities and equipment suppliers when the CCS standard first was made. There were OEMs there, but all the OEMs bought all their equipment from the vendors who led the rule making. OEM involvement was typically rather like VAG's approach to any components, i.e. let the Tier One suppliers figure out the details and we'll assemble their products in our vehicles.

Go back the the history and note that the first OEM maker which knew anything about the subject was...Tesla!

A quick glance at electrical 'standards' make it clear, glaringly clear, that the last people you really want to make an electrical 'standard' are the people who've brought global travelers the joys of many adapters and even 'step up' and 'step down' transformers, not to mention wildly inconsistent grounding 'standards'. In my three residences I have a total of five incompatible, but 'standard' plug types. My two BEV's possess seven incompatible charging plugs.

Blame GM for many things if you wish. All this idiocy had nothing to do with GM.
IT was Tokyo Electric, Tesla, then CharIN with SAE beginning to ensure lack of compatibility, and other countries, notably China adding to the complexity.

I have spent my entire life dealing with all these idiocies. What makes it anything other than Business As Usual to have all this complexity. The Tesla/Ford deal will help in North America, but will have no influence elsewhere. CCS and it's own incompatible 1 and 2 versions will never go away. Never!

If the entire world will not adopt the metric system whatever makes anyone think BEV standard will ever happen? After all we know both the US and China re too proud to adopt another system now. Even the US never adopted metric? That was far, far stupider than this array of BEV charging options.

What will happen IMHO is that every major country will adopt some rules governing high amperage BEV charging and some devilishly bizarre approaches to stop welding charging connector to charge ports and reduce electrical fires. As for compatibility? That requires compromise.

They adopt NACS as CCS Type 3 and all their arguments go away. Even if the reliability issues get somehow solved no one can argue a CCS connecter is better. It's clunky and difficult to insert and remove.

They adopt NACS as CCS Type 3 and all their arguments go away. Even if the reliability issues get somehow solved no one can argue a CCS connecter is better. It's clunky and difficult to insert and remove.

At this point, they made it clear it's a "point of pride" for them. I don't see them endorsing NACS until it's clear to everyone that they have no choice. Their statement was very clear they are ready to die on this mound.