Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The transition to renewables in Europe is in full swing, the largest off-shore wind park in the world is about to come on-line in the Dutch North Sea.

Build without subsidies, 1.5GW. For reference, Dutch national base-load is 12GW.

The transition to renewables in Europe is in full swing, the largest off-shore wind park in the world is about to come on-line in the Dutch North Sea.

Build without subsidies, 1.5GW. For reference, Dutch national base-load is 12GW.

Wow, nearly as much power as Hoover Dam at just over 2GW (assuming water).

There's are 121 GW wind projects currently pending in Finland, of which about half are onshore and half offshore. That's a lot. If there just would be a company in need of clean energy, plus maybe some lithium, nickel...

There's are 121 GW wind projects currently pending in Finland, of which about half are onshore and half offshore. That's a lot. If there just would be a company in need of clean energy, plus maybe some lithium, nickel...

Finland is already self-sufficient with electricity due to newly-online nuclear. The article doesn't mention export of electricity.

Volvo's secret - build em smaller so they can accelerate faster! YMMV depending on how much YOU weigh.

Seems late, 2024 for a $35K SUV mini with 214 mi range. I bet China could do this for 1/2 the cost, but respect for VW efforts. I sure wouldn't want to be in the auto industry. Must be terrifying today!

"There is also a top-of-the-line model of the EX30 with dual motors and all-wheel drive. This variant delivers 428 horsepower and can accelerates from zero to 62 mph in a mere 3.6 seconds, making it the fastest accelerating vehicle ever produced by Volvo." (No date when this version hits the roads).

Volvo IS effectively Chinese, patent Geely. They’re good at making BEV indistinguishable from ICE, generally heavier than they need to be with poor aerodynamics. Quite nicely done though.

Volvo IS effectively Chinese, patent Geely. They’re good at making BEV indistinguishable from ICE, generally heavier than they need to be with poor aerodynamics. Quite nicely done though.
Volvos are actually pretty good cars 2023. But they are not Tesla and as soon as you compare them with Tesla it's a not a great value proposition. It's just that Teslas are so much ahead the competition...

I am sure EX30 will sell tens of thousands of cars. But not millions like Model Y...

What do you figure, the traditional boxy Volvo shape costs about 15 miles of range in the BEVs?

Here's a chart from yesterday's Rob Maurer video.

1686228687817.png

The current 9 day green streak is tied for the third longest streak historically.

HODL

1686229203607.png

Volvos are actually pretty good cars 2023. But they are not Tesla and as soon as you compare them with Tesla it's a not a great value proposition. It's just that Teslas are so much ahead the competition...

I am sure EX30 will sell tens of thousands of cars. But not millions like Model Y...

My son has a Volvo XC40 EV. The car is pretty good, but the software is horrible. He has a lot of colleagues with the same company car and they all have the same opinion.

"I can't get a Tesla, I need a truck"

"For what?"

"For a Tesla to pull my dead truck + trailer + boat up a boat ramp while making it look completely effortless"

PSA: don't do this, this tow hook isn't rated for that kind of load, or if you do, don't do in reverse and open the hood of the towed vehicle so if something snaps nobody dies by having a piece of metal flying into their head like it happened a few times (not with Teslas)

Looks like the SUV was still running/pulling. I think the M3 just gave a little extra pull until the tires of the SUV got onto dry ground and got some more grip. Boat ramps can be mossy/slimy below the water line.

BREAKING: Tesla considering building "large automotive investment" in Spain [according to "A spokesperson for Valencia's regional government"] - Reuters

Can we assume that Tesla has strategically a lot of "irons in the fire", evaluating its options over the short- and long- term, even if many will never be executed? And frankly, I think Tesla is writing its own ticket, as almost every country, after seeing what happened in China and Germany - not to mention, the US.

Elon: "Hmm, which 'most favorable terms' will I choose this year...?"

Add Spain to the list.

Edit: I like this excerpt:

Tesla has made no mention to date of plans to invest in Spain. However last year, Musk suggested in a tweet that Spain should "build a massive solar array... Could power all of Europe".
Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez responded - also on Twitter, which Musk owns - "Time is now. Let's get it right. Come and see. We welcome investors in Spain."

Last edited:

For context I own a Volvo XC40 Recharge. I’ve commented here. IME ‘pretty good’ is accurate except for systems integration which is abysmal. That is comparison to any of my several Teslas.

Same here. Since I downloaded 11.4 the other day the phantom braking has been driving me crazy! Much worse than before. :rolleyes:
Yep. Phantom breaking is worse, reads speed recommendations for curves as speed limits and darts into turn lanes thinking they are another lane. Some improvement in smoothness in cities and more human like around bikes and passengers. Overall though it’s a step back.

Jmho.

I was about to say we're certainly due for a decent sized pullback next week due to big options expiration week + near term over bought conditions.

But I just took a gander on next week's options expirations and wow what can change in a week. Huge change in open interest and the volume of both puts and calls on certain price points. Essentially open interest calls all the way up to $220 have been paired by puts which takes away the incentive for MM's to try and drop it below that. Meanwhile open interest in Calls above $220 have increased dramatically. On the volume chart, looks like 225 is being set as the floor for next week.

Of course I'll likely be wrong and we're back below $200 🙃