Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed much early component testing occurs this way but please not a front wheel drive car!

If you are going to drive only 1 axel in an EV, the rear is just the better place to do it. With the even weight distribution there is not a benefit in the snow as some have suggested.
The problem with this is that for the past several decades people have been trained to think "all wheel drive is best but if only one axle, front wheel drive is better in winter conditions". It will take decades to reverse that training.

I wonder if all of this somehow frees up some 2170 cells to build more Semis.

Perhaps 2170s cells form China are now sent to Berlin and Berlin imports fewer cells from Nevada?
Berlin pulls in LG 2170 from China, not Panasonic 2170 from Nevada.

(This does cause some minor grumpiness from buyers of the LR Y in the majority of EU which is LHD. This is because the energy capacity of the LG is not quite as good as the Panasonic, and so the US LR Y has had a slightly longer range than the Berlin LR Y when measured on an equivalent basis. Most people never notice this small difference though.)

The two 2170 sources have a different cell chemistry. I suspect that Tesla will try very hard to not mix them in the same vehicles from the same factory, so I think we will almost certainly never see LG 2170 going to the Sparks Nevada Semi line.

The problem with this is that for the past several decades people have been trained to think "all wheel drive is best but if only one axle, front wheel drive is better in winter conditions". It will take decades to reverse that training.

Yep. The GM Blazer will offer FWD, RWD and AWD.

I remember one of the GM execs when asked "why FWD?", he said "we know people will ask for it".

The Norwegian EV Association (Elbilforeningen) designates the Model Y "Best in Class" regardless of which Y variant.

"The Tesla Model Y is clearly the best in its class in terms of everything from luggage space to range - regardless of whether you choose the cheapest or most expensive variant."

"This year (2023), the prices have also been reduced by up to NOK 120,000. But the cheapest has actually become a bit more expensive."

Three plusses

Nimble driving characteristics
Spacious, significantly improved payload
Can tow a heavy trailer

Three minuses

High charging power is transient
A little too stiff undercarriage for some
Wind and wheel noise (depends on wheel and tire size)

"The sales figures in 2023 really tell everything about how the Norwegian market perceives this model. Model Y simply offers a lot for the money."

"No car of a similar size has so much luggage space, and with 70 kilograms of extra payload since the launch in 2021, the practical value for family use increases."

"Not least, Model Y has very good heat pump technology, the heart of which is the so-called Octovalve - which contributes to the essentials of heating and cooling."

There is also a video - in Norwegian:

Source: Klassens beste – uansett billigst eller dyrest

Giga Mexico moving forward...

Recent comments from Nuevo León Governor Samuel Alejandro García Sepúlveda suggest that the permits for Tesla Gigafactory Mexico are progressing forward. The official also estimated that at any moment now, the first stages of the facility’s buildout would begin.

“We do not yet have a date for when, but the good news is that all the permits, for the environment, energy, water, everything is already checked, it is advancing. So at any moment we are going to give them the news that the first stone is being laid,” the governor said.

I'm not sure Tesla will be happy that they added this tidbit of information...

“What we have of information is that right now, they are already in the final stage of the design of the new car, a new model, which is going to be, as far as we know, the best electric and economic car in the world, and it is going to be a milestone. So, now yes, with the design finished, what we know is that they are already finishing the production lines, the software, and everything that must be ready to start the plant,” he said.

Glad to see Tesla has not lost its discerning eye for new employees.

Thank you for your interest in the Seasonal Vehicle Operator position at Tesla. We were fortunate to have received a high volume of applications, resulting in an extremely competitive candidate pool.

We encourage you to keep an eye on our careers site and apply for other opportunities that interest you and align with your experience and skill set. Thank you again, and we wish you all the best in your job search.

Sincerely,

Tesla Recruiting
9a8F81AiCKCTIQetzRwIH-Cw-XrouAqZ3n2Iu2lI9edZ9WRXTVdme23rZFbI2YODPV4fPgL2M5FRv4U0FthluKd6UIh7q2SUKw=s0-d-e1-ft

AAcHTtdDDJH1mB0Lj59Ra_L2qgQJTMGEO9g0U3SREYC0QjJz_w=s80-p
ReplyForward

Glad to see Tesla has not lost its discerning eye for new employees.

Thank you for your interest in the Seasonal Vehicle Operator position at Tesla. We were fortunate to have received a high volume of applications, resulting in an extremely competitive candidate pool.

We encourage you to keep an eye on our careers site and apply for other opportunities that interest you and align with your experience and skill set. Thank you again, and we wish you all the best in your job search.

Sincerely,

Tesla Recruiting
9a8F81AiCKCTIQetzRwIH-Cw-XrouAqZ3n2Iu2lI9edZ9WRXTVdme23rZFbI2YODPV4fPgL2M5FRv4U0FthluKd6UIh7q2SUKw=s0-d-e1-ft

AAcHTtdDDJH1mB0Lj59Ra_L2qgQJTMGEO9g0U3SREYC0QjJz_w=s80-p
ReplyForward

I received the same response. So disappointing, as I really wanted to quell the Kat's misgivings about my employment status.

At least you don't have that Sword of Damoclaws hanging over you. 🗡️;)

Last edited:
I received the same response. So disappointing, as I really wanted to quell the Kat's misgivings about my employment status.

At least you don't have that Sword of Damocles hanging over you. 🗡️;)
I don't worry too much about the Kat... she is stuck on the mountain. Roads are washed out from heavy rains. She can't get to us.
Shoot, I forgot about the voodoo dolls 🪆...
Retract these thoughts....

Giga Mexico moving forward...

I'm not sure Tesla will be happy that they added this tidbit of information...

“What we have of information is that right now, they are already in the final stage of the design of the new car, a new model, which is going to be, as far as we know, the best electric and economic car in the world, and it is going to be a milestone. So, now yes, with the design finished, what we know is that they are already finishing the production lines, the software, and everything that must be ready to start the plant,” he said.

Eh, I’m pretty sure Elon/Tesla has already stated that Mexico will be where the next sub compact car will be made.

Reactions: ShareLofty
Eh, I’m pretty sure Elon/Tesla has already stated that Mexico will be where the next sub compact car will be made.

Yah, but I don't think they've announced that the design is basically complete (in one place in the quote he said it was in final stages, and in another place he said the design was finished). Not a huge leak, but I know Tesla is sensitive to them.

Reactions: Artful Dodger
Agreed much early component testing occurs this way but please not a front wheel drive car!

If you are going to drive only 1 axel in an EV, the rear is just the better place to do it. With the even weight distribution there is not a benefit in the snow as some have suggested.
But it does raise the parts count and increase manufacturing complexity, so those are benefits./s
I agree that FWD alone is unlikely, but still Tesla does do improbable things in new ways that have unexpected benefits. So, I'll just wait to find out.

As a NYS resident even I forget Tesla has a factory here. I'm starting to wonder if they are just going to keep doing the bare minimum there until the deal runs out in 2029.

Archived version of WSJ article

As usual, the WSJ puts all the blame on Elon. The real reason Cuomo invested the money was given in the very last paragraph:

Tesla’s troubles with solar in Buffalo were overshadowed by a federal corruption probe into the construction of the factory. Kaloyeros and others, including one of Cuomo’s closest aides, were convicted of rigging the bid process to award the construction contract to a politically connected local contractor.

Also, Elon actually saved Solarcity from bankruptcy. The WSJ completely obscures this point, but NY made the deal with Solarcity, not Tesla. Elon was only a Board member, not an active participant in Solarcity. When Solarcity made some bad financial bets by growing too rapidly (they exposed themselves to a short seller attack against their stock and bonds), Elon stepped in and saved the company. He could have let it all fall apart.

So, spare me your contrived made up history, WSJ. You've always hate a hate boner for Elon and it shows.

Last edited:
He also has a highly ambitious stock price estimate of $720 in 2030? That's <12% stock price appreciation per year, I think he might be a bit pessimistic with that.
What do you think the EPS might look like in 2030 ? Do you think it might justfy a $720 shareprice ? Why ?

Wearing very rosy spectacles one can compute the following:

1688838584124.png

1688838629861.png

And that does not necessarily give $720 .... but can be anywhere from a low of $383 (no further growth) to a high of $2495 (lots more growth) depending on what you think comes next.

1688838700280.png

It is easy to criticise others' forecasts, but maybe it is better to share ones own and show why one thinks that.