Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The orginal "Battery Workshop" was built in 2019 to assemble 2170 cells (at 1st src'd from Giga Nevada, later from LG) into nonstructural packs (modules made with Tesla Grohmann Automation equipment).

These products are being retired as Giga Shanghai adopts structural LFP packs sourced from CATL. Going forward, I look for "Project Highland" to use structural packs exclusively. No place to use modules anymore.

Cheers to the Longs!

I wonder if all of this somehow frees up some 2170 cells to build more Semis.

Perhaps 2170s cells form China are now sent to Berlin and Berlin imports fewer cells from Nevada?

That could explain it. But you'd think "the market" would realize that BMW and VW won't be far behind Mercedes. Now maybe BMW won't make up a particularly huge slice of the N. American EV market either, but VW should/could manufacture a not insignificant portion, imo.
I think the dominance of NACS is now a given and built into the stock price. Unfortunately, I also think Wall Street is too short-sighted to place much value on it. They can't or won't model anything out beyond a year or two. With anecdotal evidence suggesting Tesla is not charging extra to non-Tesla users or the OEMs, the additional revenue/margin that will be generated is probably just a rounding error for the next couple of years.

But ya, maybe VW joining might cause a blip.

Meh closing this week
Was hoping for $290 😏

Meh, Bernstein was hoping for $150. :p

MMs told us 4 separate times during the day what they wanted for the Close, but you have to listen-listen: $274.50

TSLA.2023-07-07.08-01.MMs.Show.Hand.png

I was expecting a bit of a lift today from Mercedes announcing their adoption of NACS. Not sure if the market has already priced in widespread NACS adoption or if it needs some time to digest the news.

Sure they've priced it in: Hedgies' analyst Toni Sacconaghi | Bernstein already when on CNBC and said it's nothing, no benefit to Tesla. Yup, just like owning all those gas stations is no benefit to Exxon... :p

I thought it was a well thought out post. It is a common practice among car makers to slap a present body on a next gen platform underneath and take it out in the real world for real world data instead of a test track.

That might be testing for the Model 2 / Compact Car but there's no way Tesla will be making all those engineering changes to the Model 3. Structural pack and front gigacasting is enough! This sucker needs to get back on the road (not like another Model S refresh). I'm certain Tesla learned from the last time they tried this.

More interesting stuff

Joe says that the Model Y line has been split into 4680 and 2170, if this means the whole line and now they have 10k/week installed capacity or just part is anyone guess, but we know GA2 and 3 have been under construction for months, and it was always assumed one was Cybertruck and another for Model Y

Also means that the 4680 ramp likely got to a point that it can't be done in a single one as cell output outpaces the line capability when combined with 2170 or even that they had more 2170 packs than the line could do it when combined with 2170, and it made more sense to limit output a bit than have a 4680 line barely making cars

Now, they still have a giant pile of equipment stored in a filed away from the factory, which probably has a considerable part of another production line, so there might be something else going on there and they will have 4 production lines

I thought it was a well thought out post. It is a common practice among car makers to slap a present body on a next gen platform underneath and take it out in the real world for real world data instead of a test track.
Agreed much early component testing occurs this way but please not a front wheel drive car!

If you are going to drive only 1 axel in an EV, the rear is just the better place to do it. With the even weight distribution there is not a benefit in the snow as some have suggested.

Agreed much early component testing occurs this way but please not a front wheel drive car!

If you are going to drive only 1 axel in an EV, the rear is just the better place to do it. With the even weight distribution there is not a benefit in the snow as some have suggested.
It makes total sense for the unboxed process

No cooling and HV line running to the back of the vehicle, everything other than the battery pack are contained on the front module, motor, gear reduction, radiator, heat pump, octavalve or whatever else they use LV battery if that is there still, infotainment, steering motor, display

Almost everything that matter will be on the front module

And it allows it for a even bigger under trunk space since there won't be a motor there, and that counts when designing something more compact, add storage space while you shrink it

Only connection to other modules is low voltage, even the brakes with the brake by wire on the rear that also is a must for the unboxed process

OK I just listened to Jordan of the Limiting Factor's 1h50m(!) video about global lithium supply.

Basically, after a LOT of outlined due diligence, he doesn't think Elon is right when Elon says lithium refining is where the bottleneck is. Like Benchmark Minerals, Jordan sees a lithium mining supply crunch between now and 2030, starting to get bad in 2026. To the point where Tesla will not be able to grow 50% per year. His battery mineral supply model was quite bullish and included sodium ion batteries into the mix. Tesla simply won't be able to buy enough lithium for a 50% per year growth rate. The most likely way out of this is for Tesla to start getting aggressive by partnering with mines to finance them and thus secure long term supply.

For instance, a mining junior up in Canada, E3 Lithium, will be going to the market next year to raise $500M to build their production/extraction plant. Tesla could be the financier for that project. This is already what GM and Ford have been doing, financing various mines that are close to production.

The only bright spot in that video for Tesla is that Jordan estimates both refining and mining are each currently enjoying huge margins - like 70%. So Tesla's refining plant in Texas will help them reduce their own battery costs, which will allow them to pay more for lithium and thus secure more supply. BUT there is a real limit to how much Tesla can secure since they will bump up against real governmental pressures and also commercial pressures to limit how much of the global supply they can access. Tesla is currently buying about 14% of total global battery cells, and that would have to rise to about 48% by 2030 even given a bullish expected lithium supply increase.

So, if Tesla can secure 48% of total battery supply in 2030, they'll be fine. If Tesla manages to put more than a few vehicle manufacturers out of business, they might even be able to do it.

You can watch Jordan's video on Patreon, or Twitter if you subscribe to his channel in either spot (look for The Limiting Factor).

If you want to talk about investing in mining companies, do it here: The Resource Angle

So chart reading is definitely an art and is highly subjective and obviously imprecise
Having said that, I really like the current set up going into earnings report. I would be greatly disappointed if Tesla were to fall and fail to go up into and after the earnings report. Of course, I have made numerous predictions in the past which have failed to materialize. A few of them did turn out to be good and that’s where I ended up achieving my financial success. I am betting on Tesla going up, but should the reverse happen, I will survive and continue to live to fight another day.
Therefore, I am cautiously optimistic

In the last 27 weeks since Tesla bottomed in January 2023, there has been a steady accumulation of stock by institutional investors as this weekly chart clearly reflects. Notice the up volume is significantly higher than the down volume. Also, the stock stubbornly clings to upper Bollinger. Wanting to run up Bollinger band : all good in my book.

None of this is financial investment or trading advice.

Happy weekend, everybodyView attachment 954164
@TrendTrader007
dude, you mean the accumulation/distribution indicator?
the OHLCV ?
(((C-L)-(H-C))/(H-L))*V = CLV then sum daily for Accum/Dist line
up about 3.2 Billion shares, _in aggregate_ but a bit of a flaky indicator, sometimes lags, sometimes silent, but the linear regressions lines of the SP and the Accum/dist are positive slopes, but looking like flattening just a tad bit
(time to go swimming in heated pool, then trimaran sailing kayak in morning, life has things to do)

1688783500799.png

Not sure if too many people watched this because I skipped it thinking it was just an AI day 2 recap, however the 2nd part of this presentation is actually about V12 FSD. They are moving away from occupancy network as it was only used as a stepping stone to what the entire AI community was trying to reach for, which is generalized world model prediction. Tesla is moving away from auto labeling and is having their NN figuring out and predicting future scenarios on the fly while creating the world. Currently this is not in customer's hands and will be available by his prediction sometime later this year.... around when Musk thinks FSD is solved.
Dr. Know it all has a break down on this video if you want more information.

I just looked and the calendar doesn't say Apr 1. So why is rueters posting junk like this?

This is weird:

It always sounded half baked. Price fixing a consumer product riding a tech cost curve is stupid as it would lead to an overall reduction in competition/innovation in the industry. The OEMs that had the ear of the Chinese government to force the agreement probably woke up the day after signing and realised they had hamstrung themselves after they couldn't change their own prices while Tesla just changed non-price related demand drivers.

I often look to AAPL for megacap comparisons to TSLA....I was comparing historical EPS (and PE) of the two companies and found it interesting that what TSLA has done in the last 1 year and 3 quarters (specifically to grow their EPS from $0.30 to over $3.50) took AAPL 11 years to do (2009-2020). Impressive.