Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has access to a lot more info that I/we do, and I'm sure that if they were seeing an "epic collapse of demand" they wouldn't be submitting plans to double their factories in both Shanghai and Germany. Yes, the economy is tough right now, and yes, interest rates are too high, but I'm seeing more Teslas on the road now than ever before, and I have more friends either driving them or interested in buying one that ever before.
I don't know, man...I've seen a lot of experts in the media say that Tesla's past factory plan announcements were just part of the scam...with Tesla having little more than "potemkin villages" and "muddy fields with some digging going on." I haven't checked back on those stories, but I assume those media experts couldn't have made any misjudgements or otherwise misled their audience. Doesn't bode well for the latest round of announcements.

/s

Therefore... back in some.

1689793218733.png

Sure, and one of my favorite phrases on this is "There are no bad products, just bad prices"

That said- there certainly WERE folks in here who kept projecting 25-30% margins uninterrupted years into the future- seemingly expecting unlimited demand WITHOUT reducing prices more than 1:1 against costs while still growing sales 50% YoY on average- and that has not turned out to be the case- so that seems like a fair criticism.

Doesn't mean you haven't got plenty of folks who go way beyond fair on the point though.
If it wasn't for raw material speculation which caused hyper inflation of certain items in 2022, Tesla was reducing cost faster than they are reducing prices vs launch.

Currently a Model 3 is 30% cheaper to produce vs 2020. If you normalize for cost, a Model 3 isn't 30% cheaper today vs launch price.

Their goal is another 50% reduction in cost on top, which does give you that feeling a 25k car would also have double digit margins with room to spare.

If it wasn't for raw material speculation which caused hyper inflation of certain items in 2022, Tesla was reducing cost faster than they are reducing prices vs launch.

Currently a Model 3 is 30% cheaper to produce vs 2020. If you normalize for cost, a Model 3 isn't 30% cheaper today vs launch price.

Their goal is another 50% reduction in cost on top, which does give you that feeling a 25k car would also have double digit margins with room to spare.

Assuming that there aren't competing 25k cars such that the Tesla becomes a 23.5k car.

Reactions: 2daMoon
Assuming that there aren't competing 25k cars such that the Tesla becomes a 23.5k car.
So far Tesla is the one who is pricing their cars whatever they want while competitors being the ones choosing to stab themselves with even greater negative margins or not.

People seem to not understand that "racing to the bottom will damage Tesla" theory is dumb..because Tesla sets the bottom.

The Chinese are getting free R&D by stealing from Tesla everyday and so far Tesla is still the most profitable EV maker in China using the same cost labors. The masters of "racing to the bottom" Chinese are getting beat...that's just how good Tesla is at reducing cost. When the Chinese are having a hard time catching up at making things cheaper then you know Musk is onto something shorts don't seem to understand.

Last edited:

I can see some impact on pricing due to competition....but the thing about competing cars, at least based on the past several years, is that the other manufacturers can't (or perhaps won't) produce them in numbers to really, meaningfully, wield power relative to Tesla's sales.

The Bolt beat the Model 3 to market...but GM/Chevy only produce them at numbers that are a small fraction of Model 3 production.

I've heard good things about the Kia/Hyundai EV's...but the production numbers there are also only a small fraction of the 3 and the Y production/deliveries.

Even the non-EV Corolla...at a much lower price, and in all its world-wide hatch/sedan/hybrid/etc. trims combined...is now below the Model Y in sales, and Y sales are still clearly growing. The other manufacturers just don't target numbers the same way Tesla does.

Many manufacturers have made announcements about their future EV production goals, but have any of them claimed that they plan to sell 500,000 or 1,000,000 $30K EV's in 2025? 2026? 2027?

What do we expect of production from Tesla's Mexico factory, alone, in 2-4 years?

Splurged today to celebrate my 10 years of owning TSLA (actually in May, but negotiations take time).
An offer was accepted on this beauty...
But since I am a nice guy, I splurged some more and ordered a Model Y LR with FSD for each of my sisters. Lucky, I only have two sisters 🙂.

Thank you TSLA, Tesla and TMC.
Happy Earnings everyone!
Wharram Tiki 38-4038-03.JPG

Splurged today to celebrate my 10 years of owning TSLA (actually in May, but negotiations take time).
An offer was accepted on this beauty...
But since I am a nice guy, I splurged some more and ordered a Model Y LR with FSD for each of my sisters. Lucky, I only have two sisters 🙂.

Thank you TSLA, Tesla and TMC.
Happy Earnings everyone!
View attachment 957776
Unless you bought that island in the background as well we're not that impressed ...