Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s not what Powell just spoke, although he has to say this. “Based on data”
"The market"'s view is reflected here, click through the dates to load charts showing the market's predictions of what rates will be at each future meeting

• Informative
Reactions: SOULPEDL
Did Tesla ever confirm those are Highlands ;)?
I can't say those ones are since the picture is from bad angle

But there was at least one spotting a while ago of a Frankenstein front wheel drive Model 3 driving around, and to make it better, the wheels weren't centered on the wheels wells

This likely means Tesla is testing components of something else on a Model 3, probably the new compact model drive unit

1/4 point hike from Fed as expected...Powell's comments are the key
My portfolio whenever this guy opens his mouth...
shopping.jpeg

This latest rate hike isn't based on data, inflation is over and dropping like a stone, this hike is based on FEDs saying they would hike rates previously and not wanting to lose face. Crazy
Headline inflation has dropped like a stone, that's almost entirely energy and is not even overly affected by interest rates

Core inflation has not dropped like a stone

YoY headline inflation will likely start heading upwards in the coming months as it will have less-favorable comps considering May-June 2022 is where oil hit $115 and gasoline peaked shortly thereafter. So far it seems oil has bottomed, gasoline is now slightly positive YoY.

Last edited:
Your statement seems to have no basis.

Munro discussion mentioned how a wide variety of people with various cars currently all wanted a Cybertruck, the opposite of a niche product. Cost is unknown, but Elon mentioned F150 Lightning was expensive. Range of 350+ miles - we don't know whether mid or long range versions. Built to be made quickly, plenty of castings seem to exist. Shanghai have a sub 40 second cadence, as opposed to 60 seconds in Legacy OEMs. This might be coming to the Cybertruck line
During the shareholder meeting, Elon said the CT will have a small impact on the company and that they could produce as many as 250k a year or possibly more depending on the demand. I think that threw a lot of people off, but he walked some of that back on the Q2 earnings call with the whole "demand is off the hook" comment.

Who knows, pricing and range will be the biggest factors.

We mostly know the size of it, it's going to have a smaller cab and frunk than an F150 Lightning, but a bigger bed. It's not a true exoskeleton in the way many thought from the beginning, but that doesn't mean the SS panels won't provide strength. Most of the rest is guessing.

Last edited:
Your statement seems to have no basis.

Munro discussion mentioned how a wide variety of people with various cars currently all wanted a Cybertruck, the opposite of a niche product. Cost is unknown, but Elon mentioned F150 Lightning was expensive. Range of 350+ miles - we don't know whether mid or long range versions. Built to be made quickly, plenty of castings seem to exist. Shanghai have a sub 40 second cadence, as opposed to 60 seconds in Legacy OEMs. This might be coming to the Cybertruck line
Elon said it will be a niche product.

He went on to speculate 250k units per year. Yes, he waffled and proposed maybe 500k but he said it with no conviction. He's also said, multiple times, it's very hard to make. Listen to Elon, he tells you what you need to know.

I agree, Elon's comment about the price of the F150 doesn't align with my interpretation of the other things he said. I'm going with the preponderance of information for my conclusion.

CNBS is reporting that the California AG is investigating Tesla over Autopilot safety and marketing. The part that made my jaw drop was the second and third paragraphs:

Greg Wester, the owner of a 2018 Tesla Model 3, filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission in August 2022, regarding “phantom braking” — sudden, automatic braking by a car for no apparent reason — that he would experience when using the company’s driver assistance systems, or Autopilot, on the highway.

Wester also told the FTC that he felt misled by Tesla after paying thousands of dollars for the company’s premium driver assistance option, marketed as Full Self Driving capability (FSD) in the U.S.

Hard to believe how people can sooo change. I've had a Tesla since 2017, so I remember him when he was a Tesla bull and advocate, and watched a decent amount of his videos. Hard to believe where he's gone to...

In regards to the main story, AGs are very political, so this doesn't surprise me. I'm sure we'll never hear about this again.

BTW, you'll never guess who wrote this. Also, this was also foreshadowed yesterday in TSLAQland...

Especially a non-problem, given the solution exist already.
Wasn’t Elon saying that one of the biggest inefficiencies on the industry was to focus on solving the wrong problems and optimizing things that should not be there in the first place?
Fate loves irony
Sure has the whiff of powerpoint engineering to me.

Having smelled it for most of a decade, especially from GM, I'm excited to see what they've accomplished in 2035. (/s)

CNBS is reporting that the California AG is investigating Tesla over Autopilot safety and marketing. The part that made my jaw drop was the second and third paragraphs:

Greg Wester, the owner of a 2018 Tesla Model 3, filed a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission in August 2022, regarding “phantom braking” — sudden, automatic braking by a car for no apparent reason — that he would experience when using the company’s driver assistance systems, or Autopilot, on the highway.

Wester also told the FTC that he felt misled by Tesla after paying thousands of dollars for the company’s premium driver assistance option, marketed as Full Self Driving capability (FSD) in the U.S.

Hard to believe how people can sooo change. I've had a Tesla since 2017, so I remember him when he was a Tesla bull and advocate, and watched a decent amount of his videos. Hard to believe where he's gone to...

In regards to the main story, AGs are very political, so this doesn't surprise me. I'm sure we'll never hear about this again.

BTW, you'll never guess who wrote this. Also, this was also foreshadowed yesterday in TSLAQland...
Never underestimate how jaded someone can be when they missed out on a 800% return because they sold right before liftoff.

Dude will be screaming Fraud until he's in his 90's and then can't even remember that he missed out.

That’s not what Powell just spoke, although he has to say this. “Based on data”
I expect Powell's language to be heavily biased towards doom, gloom, barbarians at the gate and only more rate hikes can hold them back kind of rhetoric for awhile to come. Whether rates are actually raised or not, and the language will continue to make sure everybody knows that the Fed is hyper vigilant to high inflation.

I believe it will continue until we're past Wall Street speculation that inflation is tamed and on its way back to 2%, and into the period where Main Street is more likely to feel like inflation is tamed and Wall Street is speculating that maybe the economy needs stimulus to keep it from crashing too hard. This Fed seems very motivated to not repeat the high inflation mistake of the late 70s / 80s; they would much rather do a year of hikes too many than not enough (not enough was apparently the problem in the 80s, with rates increasing in fits and starts, and dragging the whole mess out).

Whether its true or not doesn't really matter - its a scenario that nobody wants to see play again. I think of this as the Fed's PTSD about rates, and its recent enough for enough people to remember it, for it to matter.

Speaking of fraud and FSD in regards to investments. This isn't meant to argue the effectiveness of FSD or how close they really are...(seriously)

Is there a point where if Tesla doesn't achieve FSD it hurts the stock? Is the market currently factoring in FSD? It seems that Elon speaking to Robotaxis and FSD doesn't ever help stock prices. We've seen some lawsuits and some "investigations" into FSD, but nothing of real substance.

Again, as a pure investment standpoint, not debating the progression of FSD itself.

Never underestimate how jaded someone can be when they missed out on a 800% return because they sold right before liftoff.

Dude will be screaming Fraud until he's in his 90's and then can't even remember that he missed out.
My May 2018 build V3.0 hardware TM3 phantom brakes all the time.

And I'm heavily invested in TSLA for life…

Speaking of fraud and FSD. This isn't meant to argue the effectiveness of FSD or how close they really are...(seriously)

Is there a point where if Tesla doesn't achieve FSD it hurts the stock? Is the market currently factoring in FSD? It seems that Elon speaking to Robotaxis and FSD doesn't ever help stock prices.

Again, as a pure investment standpoint, not debating the progression of FSD itself.

I don't think so, unless there's a point where the company is starting to question whether its a solvable problem. As long as this public beta is ongoing, and actual drivers are seeing progress (whether the end is in sight or not), then I think that the stock price impact will be no greater or smaller than it currently is. Sudden belief that we're close though ... that could matter.

I expect Powell's language to be heavily biased towards doom, gloom, barbarians at the gate and only more rate hikes can hold them back kind of rhetoric for awhile to come. Whether rates are actually raised or not, and the language will continue to make sure everybody knows that the Fed is hyper vigilant to high inflation.

I believe it will continue until we're past Wall Street speculation that inflation is tamed and on its way back to 2%, and into the period where Main Street is more likely to feel like inflation is tamed and Wall Street is speculating that maybe the economy needs stimulus to keep it from crashing too hard. This Fed seems very motivated to not repeat the high inflation mistake of the late 70s / 80s; they would much rather do a year of hikes too many than not enough (not enough was apparently the problem in the 80s, with rates increasing in fits and starts, and dragging the whole mess out).

Whether its true or not doesn't really matter - its a scenario that nobody wants to see play again. I think of this as the Fed's PTSD about rates, and its recent enough for enough people to remember it, for it to matter.
So then this is a new Fed experiment (based on simulation). Looking forward to seeing how this version pans out. /s

I was a young kid in the 70's when my dad bought a Gulf Coastal Florida lot + home built for $24K. Boy did he make out on that one and it continued into the next build up in BC. You don't forget that stuff, along with gas prices back then. Meanwhile, gas is going up again now, which tends to encourage inflation. What a mess either way. Anyway, my gut says they overshoot dramatically, but that's likely for another discussion somewhere else.

Headline inflation has dropped like a stone, that's almost entirely energy and is not even overly affected by interest rates

Core inflation has not dropped like a stone

YoY headline inflation will likely start heading upwards in the coming months as it will have less-favorable comps considering May-June 2022 is where oil hit $115 and gasoline peaked shortly thereafter. So far it seems oil has bottomed, gasoline is now slightly positive YoY.
Core inflation is strongly influenced by shelter, which of course takes time to move as rents tend to be adapted annually

Sasha nicely encapsulates my thoughts on the matter:

Last edited:

Lots of speculation over his flip, the most likely being that he sold out of $TSLA just before it took off end 2019, and became bitter and twisted as a result

Or maybe he fell on his head as a child 🤷‍♂️

But he turned into a nasty piece of work, like all the $TSLAQ brigade, they're just awful people full stop

Lots of speculation over his flip, the most likely being that he sold out of $TSLA just before it took off end 2019, and became bitter and twisted as a result

Or maybe he fell on his head as a child 🤷‍♂️

But he turned into a nasty piece of work, like all the $TSLAQ brigade, they're just awful people full stop
Probably sold just before AND was dropped on his head. Selling before the share price shot up is one thing but failing to take advantage of the Covid Dip is next level stupid.

Wester also claims sudden unintended acceleration. The guy’s a moron. I’m not concerned.

(SUA is basically impossible).

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12