Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is pretty much anybody's guess. Tesla is still trying to fix the issues with the first test batch with Pepsi. Tesla must have planned this Semi charging station for a long time and had to go through with the installation despite the Semi setback. The existence of this charging station isn't an indication that the Semi is going to be ready anytime soon, only that Tesla had planned for it to be so.
Fix batch of chargers or Semis?

Any links on what the issues are?

Let's see how long this is gonna take to come to fruition.

1690382892319.png

🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

View attachment 959761
🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

Weird half the OEMs in that group have announced moving to NACS and the other half had not, yet they plan to collaborate on building chargers.

View attachment 959761
🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

Ooh ooh, I've got a name for it...

SCI
(Slow Charge Initiative)
"Promising to bring EV charging to the public at a rate commiserate with our EV production"​

View attachment 959761
🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

I mean, at least it says:

The new charging company will support both CCS and the Tesla standard.
Hopefully CCS will die out and they'll eventually drop it.

Fix batch of chargers or Semis?

Any links on what the issues are?

You can continue the discussion here:

The financial world in The Netherlands and Belgium received a wakup-call today.
In the newspaper ‘Financieel Dagblad’ (something like the Financial Times here) a big article today by a Belgian journalist.
About the Tesla production speed and the factory in Berlin.
Title: "Tesla gives Volkswagen-country a lesson in building cars efficiently”.
No Tl;dr necessary.

If the Exoskeleton was abandoned, can we still hit it with a hammer? I would imagine the extra framing weight could be offset by thinner outer shell, but I hope not.

I think it's way too early to say that

I don't think everyone here ever pickup up a steel plate on their lives to have a feel for it, but steel is heavy, a 3 mm plate is really heavy, having them hanging around a vehicle for only cosmetic purposes (ignoring the whole dent proof thingy, but you don't need 3 mm for that) is really bad engineering, and Tesla doesn't do bad engineering, even more on such a fundamental concept

I'm sure the skin is a stressed member, at least in some parts, and in turn reduces the amount of load the castings have to take, so the castings are smaller than what they needed to be if it were to be manufactured with a thin outer skin

Just a rough calculation, Cybertruck on the visible outer panels has around 14 m² (150 ft^2) of stainless steel sheet, in 3 mm, that is 327 kg (721 pounds) or in 1/8" (3,18mm), 347 kg (760 lbs)

It would be absolute insanity to add that amount of weight for no reason, I don't think even Mary would approve that

I know it isn't fair to consider all the weight, but with the data we have, this is somewhere 10 to 20 miles of range lost due to the additional mass at highway speeds and more at slow speed in city driving

I'm impressed with that cable size. It doesn't look much bigger than the current[1] cables.

[1] No pun intended... well ok, it was.

The immersion cooling will do that for you, and this slide was the cause of so many misunderstandings to this day of people saying Cybertruck will use Semi chargers

It's just the same cable technology that will be used on true V4 chargers (if what we have in Europe now is that it's up for debate), either the same cables as Semi chargers but underutilized or even smaller than V3 Superchargers

Tesla is being really conservative with the 1 MW+ title, it's likely 3 MW+ with the charge time they are advertising for the Semi, at least over 2 MW for certain

1690385215880.png

As we consider the probability to Tesla building something major in India, I note we have not much discussed the single largest reason to invest there; engineering talent.
Tesla has had several notable Indian senior people, Ashok Elluswamy and Deepak Ahuja are two notable ones.
Then we have US-based Indian CEO's of Microsoft, Adobe, IBM, Alphabet plus the retired one from Pepsi and many more examples.
In short, the biggest reason is the seemingly endless supply of Engineering and technical talent.
The former exploration head of a US M major oil company worked with me for a decade, and throughout my Middle East years Indian and Pakistani talent dominated. Forget the bureaucracy and think recruiting!
The bureaucracy, however, cannot be forgotten.

The immersion cooling will do that for you, and this slide was the cause of so many misunderstandings to this day of people saying Cybertruck will use Semi chargers

It's just the same cable technology that will be used on true V4 chargers (if what we have in Europe now is that it's up for debate), either the same cables as Semi chargers but underutilized or even smaller than V3 Superchargers

Tesla is being really conservative with the 1 MW+ title, it's likely 3 MW+ with the charge time they are advertising for the Semi, at least over 2 MW for certain

View attachment 959763
Yeah, the fact they were able to achieve that with the tech they had presented in that slide is impressive.

View attachment 959761
🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴
As we all know, the best way to solve a problem is to form a committee first! Lol

As we consider the probability to Tesla building something major in India, I note we have not much discussed the single largest reason to invest there; engineering talent.
Tesla has had several notable Indian senior people, Ashok Elluswamy and Deepak Ahuja are two notable ones.
Then we have US-based Indian CEO's of Microsoft, Adobe, IBM, Alphabet plus the retired one from Pepsi and many more examples.
In short, the biggest reason is the seemingly endless supply of Engineering and technical talent.
The former exploration head of a US M major oil company worked with me for a decade, and throughout my Middle East years Indian and Pakistani talent dominated. Forget the bureaucracy and think recruiting!
The bureaucracy, however, cannot be forgotten.
Agree with this, still just can’t wrap my head around building a factory that won’t pump out a large amount of cars for domestic use and have it be overwhelmingly for export. Even at $25k, that’s hella expensive as average salary in India is $400/month, and I’ve worked for two major Indian companies and spent months in Mumbai. Would building a factory if >90% of produced cars are exported make sense? And I can’t see tesla compromise on safety. And if you eliminate speed performance element to cut cost and due to indias congested roads, is it really a tesla still?

I think it's way too early to say that

I don't think everyone here ever pickup up a steel plate on their lives to have a feel for it, but steel is heavy, a 3 mm plate is really heavy, having them hanging around a vehicle for only cosmetic purposes (ignoring the whole dent proof thingy, but you don't need 3 mm for that) is really bad engineering, and Tesla doesn't do bad engineering, even more on such a fundamental concept

I'm sure the skin is a stressed member, at least in some parts, and in turn reduces the amount of load the castings have to take, so the castings are smaller than what they needed to be if it were to be manufactured with a thin outer skin

Just a rough calculation, Cybertruck on the visible outer panels has around 14 m² (150 ft^2) of stainless steel sheet, in 3 mm, that is 327 kg (721 pounds) or in 1/8" (3,18mm), 347 kg (760 lbs)

It would be absolute insanity to add that amount of weight for no reason, I don't think even Mary would approve that

I know it isn't fair to consider all the weight, but with the data we have, this is somewhere 10 to 20 miles of range lost due to the additional mass at highway speeds and more at slow speed in city driving

Having owned a 1953, a 1972, and then several later model pickups and 4x4s over the decades, I have seen the trend to thinner panels and the ease of denting they have provided to the body of a truck that used to be sturdy. (that '53 Ford was built stout)

Over the years I have pined for a truly rugged truck (while seeing the OEMs outright lie about their products being "tough") and was enthralled by the Cybertruck reveal. I don't care that it weighs a little more. I want that truck to last for decades and truly be able to "buff that out" when something mars the finish.

I want to drive on a tight forest jeep road and be able to rub against brush without concern that it may damage the paint or the panel itself.

The fact that the exterior surface must weigh more to accommodate this functionality is a small price to pay. Particularly, if they can integrate the strength of the exterior panels into the overall vehicle strength. Perhaps this would allow for the stamped parts being made from thinner Boron steel to offset the extra weight.

There are plenty of pretty trucks out there that bruise easily. They are posers, with misleading ads touting their being rugged when they are in fact quite fragile.

Long live the Cybertruck!