Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is our competition. HoHumEV goes from charging at 180kw to 33kw when you turn the AC on. Seemingly due to ambient temp.

The thing that continues to impress me is that Tesla never had these kind of dumb issues with their Model S back in 2012 and after. Yet 10+ years later these large companies can’t engineer a car as good as Tesla did. Sad really.

I agree that it seems very cold fusion-y

If others do happen to replicate it, it will probably be a long time before it is commercially viable (cheap and easy to scale). For Tesla, I don't think this will impact their business at all one way or another for a long time. It was 7 years between the invention of the transistor (1947) and the first commercially viable transistor radio (1954), and at least another decade before they were mass market (late 60s and early 70s).

Precisely. Two decades is what it typically takes from fundamental breakthrough to mass commercialization. Even if this is real, it will remain in the realm of academic science for a very long time. It might not even be commercially viable for any number of reasons.

In the tiny country of Norway the car registration stats for July are interesting:

ofv7.png

The VW ID.4 is the monthly best seller with TMY in the 10th position. The number preceeding the model name is the Year to Date placement.
Headers: "Denne mnd" is this month, "Hittil" is YTD. The last line was lost in the screenshot and has Model 3 with 1251 cars sold.

It is interesting that no Chinese brands made the top 20 by model. If you list by brand "Merke" and sort by year "Hittil" you can find MG with 2.0 % at the 14th position and Polestar with 0.9% at the 17th.

81.7% of the cars sold in July were electric BEV. And electric vans are becoming more popular with 29.2% of the market in July.

Source: Registreringsstatistikken
Source: Nybilregistreringer i juli: Tilbake til normalen

Don't think cold fusion ever had 50% chance on prediction markets. If you see if, let me know so I can short it!

Btw I am not saying that this is confirmed, I am just reporting that prediction markets is currently giving it 40% odds and I am not confident enough to short it, if you are then do it. If not then I think we have to assume that we both believe that the market is setting the correct odds. So far $412k has been bet on it on one of the prediction market so market for this is liquid.

Last edited:

If others do happen to replicate it, it will probably be a long time before it is commercially viable (cheap and easy to scale). For Tesla, I don't think this will impact their business at all one way or another for a long time. It was 7 years between the invention of the transistor (1947) and the first commercially viable transistor radio (1954), and at least another decade before they were mass market (late 60s and early 70s).
Although in the transistor's case, it was only manufactured because NASA wanted them. No one else could see any purpose.

Haven't seen anyone mention this yet, but accoring to Bloomberg, Tesla is seeking $100M in govt funding for a Semi charging route from Texas to California. Street Insider article here: Tesla (TSLA) seeking $100M for Texas to California truck charging network

From the article:
According to emails viewed by Bloomberg News, EV giant, Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) is aiming to secure approximately $100 million in federal funds to construct nine electric semi-truck charging stations reaching from the southern border of Texas to northern California.

The company proposed in the emails that each charging unit be equipped with eight 750-kilowatt chargers for Tesla Semi vehicles and four chargers for trucks made by its competitors. If successful, it would be a first-of-its-kind charging network in the US. It would enable long-haul electrified trucking from Texas to California, along with regional-haul trucking in Texas, Arizona and California.
The approximately 1,800-mile route begins in Laredo, Texas, situated about 240 miles away from Tesla's headquarters in Austin and about 150 miles away from the site of a new factory under construction in Nuevo Leon, Mexico.

what do we make of this ? there is so much FUD i want to just dismiss it... loss of steering is pretty serious claim...

Well, it is an article from the street....so that is the first red flag.

Then the headline and subsequent first few lines are filled with FUD words such as "Troubling, bogged down, NHTSA paved the way towards yet another investigation" indicating the intent of the author.

I stopped reading after that.

what do we make of this ? there is so much FUD i want to just dismiss it... loss of steering is pretty serious claim...

I can say that my friend who took delivery of a new Model 3 in June (or maybe it was April - May), had to have his steering rack replaced under warranty. I didn't ask him at the time what the symptoms were though.

In the tiny country of Norway the car registration stats for July are interesting:

View attachment 961374

The VW ID.4 is the monthly best seller with TMY in the 10th position. The number preceeding the model name is the Year to Date placement.
Headers: "Denne mnd" is this month, "Hittil" is YTD. The last line was lost in the screenshot and has Model 3 with 1251 cars sold.

It is interesting that no Chinese brands made the top 20 by model. If you list by brand "Merke" and sort by year "Hittil" you can find MG with 2.0 % at the 14th position and Polestar with 0.9% at the 17th.

81.7% of the cars sold in July were electric BEV. And electric vans are becoming more popular with 29.2% of the market in July.

Source: Registreringsstatistikken
Source: Nybilregistreringer i juli: Tilbake til normalen
Volvo is also Chinese (Geely). More Chinese than Polestar since Polestar was floated, while Volvo is wholly owned by Geely. But both make their cars in China.
And of course, lots of Teslas are made in China as well.
Toyota bZ4X is made in China and Japan, and I don't know where they come from for the European market.

If you look at the major European markets, lots of Chinese-made cars are sold under legacy foreign names, but Chinese brand names aren't yet selling in large numbers. The Chinese haven't delivered a lot of the lower cost vehicles yet, so we can't say what will happen as EVs work their way down to the part of the market that finds it harder to be principled consumers.

Registreringer av nye elbiler i Norge is good near-real-time Norwegian EV registrations. It doesn't include PHEVs though.

LK99... hmmm. Remember graphene? It was going to change everything. I'm still waiting. This has zero impact on TSLA stock, until you have multiple independent sources creating the same material and verifying all the claims AND then when some company can produce it by the ton, not the gram, and has a path to truly mass production at commodity prices.
Gold has amazing properties too, but it has an annoyingly high price.

I'm more excited by the news of semi mega-charger rollout plans than any wonder material.

I'm in Ibiza and I've rented a VW Polo. Compared to my Model 3 it's like stepping back in time.
It has a key which you must press to unlock the car.
You put the key into a slot and turn it but unless you press the clutch it won't start
Then you engage a gear with the gear stick. If you want reverse you must press down on the gear stick. It's tricky
There's a thing called a handbrake which you release to pull away. You also need to engage this handbrake on a hill or the car rolls backwards. And release it again to move off. Also tricky
You are constantly changing gears, up and down.
When you leave the car you must remember to press the key again to lock it.
It all feels very old fashioned, clunky and like its from a different era.

Still, at least it has a satnav which I desperately need because I don't know Ibiza.

Except it doesn't bloody well work! It's a VW
Oh for a Tesla, everything is so easy

1690906618311.png

In this case, I don't think it is FUD. I just dropped off my wife's 2022 Model Y for service because it has lost power steering 5 or 6 times in the past 2-3 weeks. They pushed it off a week so they could get a steering rack in stock. I'll find out when I pick it up tomorrow if that proves to be the problem. But, IMHO, if it does turn out that a supplier has delivered faulty racks to Tesla it's not entirely their fault. I wonder what time period 280,000 cars covers. Mine was delivered January 2022.

LK99... hmmm. Remember graphene? It was going to change everything. I'm still waiting. This has zero impact on TSLA stock, until you have multiple independent sources creating the same material and verifying all the claims AND then when some company can produce it by the ton, not the gram, and has a path to truly mass production at commodity prices.
Gold has amazing properties too, but it has an annoyingly high price.

I'm more excited by the news of semi mega-charger rollout plans than any wonder material.
This is getting woefully off topic so I’m just going to leave this here:

1) It’s been less than a week but in that timespan one of the most reputable labs in America have validated the results in simulation and a lab in China actually replicated it you can choose not to believe it that’s fine but there’s enough signal here to get reasonably excited.

2) This is not difficult to replicate, any grad student at a lab could do this. Only hard part is securing purity levels, but with further research this is going to be worked around. Like when Tesla said “hey you can shove a bunch of normal batteries in a car and make it drive well” and people scoffed for a thousand reasons. Don’t be that hypocritical skeptic.

3) The implications of this are so huge for so many fields it’s not going to be decades, it’s going to be now. This is national security, ip-law-ignoring levels of impact. Like how the whole world threw resources at Covid, there’s going to be unlimited resources thrown at this.

4) lol the fud slinging around discrediting the team sounding real TSLAQ-ish. You’re going to look bad in history.

Last edited:
Volvo is also Chinese (Geely). More Chinese than Polestar since Polestar was floated, while Volvo is wholly owned by Geely. But both make their cars in China.
And of course, lots of Teslas are made in China as well.
Toyota bZ4X is made in China and Japan, and I don't know where they come from for the European market.

If you look at the major European markets, lots of Chinese-made cars are sold under legacy foreign names, but Chinese brand names aren't yet selling in large numbers. The Chinese haven't delivered a lot of the lower cost vehicles yet, so we can't say what will happen as EVs work their way down to the part of the market that finds it harder to be principled consumers.

Registreringer av nye elbiler i Norge is good near-real-time Norwegian EV registrations. It doesn't include PHEVs though.
If Volvo Cars, AB is 100% Geelyowned then you should explain how this can be:
Volvo Car AB (VOLCAR-B) Stock Price & NewsGooglehttps://www.google.com › finance › quote › VOLCAR...

To clarify, Geely took Volvo Cars, AB public some time ago in order to help fund the conversion to all BEV. They did the same with Polestar for the same reason. Perhaps you were thinking of LEVC which is 100% owned.

• Helpful
Reactions: Christine69420
In this case, I don't think it is FUD. I just dropped off my wife's 2022 Model Y for service because it has lost power steering 5 or 6 times in the past 2-3 weeks. They pushed it off a week so they could get a steering rack in stock. I'll find out when I pick it up tomorrow if that proves to be the problem. But, IMHO, if it does turn out that a supplier has delivered faulty racks to Tesla it's not entirely their fault. I wonder what time period 280,000 cars covers. Mine was delivered January 2022.
Wonder if this had anything to do with it:
1690911037379.png