Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A weekend OT Question....
Has anyone seen a good / comprehensive video that demonstrates what safety capabilities Tesla's have? I am wondering about blind spot accident avoidance / chimes, pedestrians avoidance etc? I know Tesla vision is quite capable and I would like to sell these capabilities to someone and I really don't have a great understanding of the current capabilities...

More specific info for you:

How to use Tesla's Blind Spot Feature (Quick Tip #16) - YouTube

Cheeerrrs! (Schreeeeech!... Whew!) :D

It's happening!

1691933976315.png

1691933887149.jpeg

1691933815760.jpeg

1691933832750.jpeg

1691933863099.jpeg

Here is that ExxonMobil ad:

Still trying to find it as it seems to be pulled. Apologies.

Edit: These ten stills give you the idea. Pretty pathetic ad. Mobil 1's Thinly Veiled Anti-EV Advert Isn't Fooling Anyone

More edit: I believe this one still shows the full ad. Most of my other attempts said "removed by uploader" or some such: Mobil 1 Says: Break Free of What Binds You and Hit the Open Road
Man, that takes several pages out of the FUD Playbook for TV ADs for portraying a dystopian prospect:

- Dark shadowy lighting
- Muted color palate
- Repeating "you're being brainwashed" vocal track
- Uninspiring musical accompaniment
- Hollow-reverb effect applied to activity (footsteps etc..)
- Setting inside unflattering location (graffiti, cold concrete, unkempt, etc...)
- Expressionless faces
- Unflattering /messy wardrobe

As opposed to the end, where the guy has broken free from the tyranny of cords and is driving off in to the sunny, well-lit open road as the music finally picks up and peaks and he finally cracks a smile.

It tends to remind me of the GM EV1 ads, which appeared to be designed to kill the car, rather than promote it:

GM EV1 ad

Last edited:
Another random, off-topic, weekend post. Yesterday, I received a surprise $1000 deposit refund check from Tesla for the Model 3 I reserved on the Model 3 reveal night (what was that...7+ years ago??). I never bought a Model 3 but never got my money back either (just figured I would eventually get another Tesla and left it there). I never actually "canceled" it.

I'm sure they just wanted it "off their books", but it is interesting that it suddenly happens as the Highland is imminent. I entertained the idea of "Hmmm, maybe they are going to call it Model 4 and thus no more Model 3 reservations?". I don't think that's really the case of course but hey it's the weekend so just a fun tidbit.

Another random, off-topic, weekend post. Yesterday, I received a surprise $1000 deposit refund check from Tesla for the Model 3 I reserved on the Model 3 reveal night (what was that...7+ years ago??). I never bought a Model 3 but never got my money back either (just figured I would eventually get another Tesla and left it there). I never actually "canceled" it.

I'm sure they just wanted it "off their books", but it is interesting that it suddenly happens as the Highland is imminent. I entertained the idea of "Hmmm, maybe they are going to call it Model 4 and thus no more Model 3 reservations?". I don't think that's really the case of course but hey it's the weekend so just a fun tidbit.
1691943538627.png

Thanks for contributing to the mission!

They refunded my reveal 'morning after' deposit when they allowed deposits for Brazilian delivery. I had left that one in so far vain hope that Tesla would begin to serve the sixth largest car market in the world. They concentrated on smaller markets such as the UK, France, Italy, Canada etc.
car-sales-by-country.html
At least I did get a succession of Teslas in the US even though I had to buy a condominium with parking spaces to store them.
Oh well, we do have tons of GM, Stellantis and Volkswagen, and the Chinese are growing like topsy, while Hyundai is doing well. Then Geely is selling BEV's too, to me as well, reluctantly.

Then there's TSLA which generously has risen in market value enough to pay for my obsession with their products.

Why can't I buy one at home? /s (not really) I'm becoming irritated that Tesla picks off such huge markets as Thailand, Turkey, Dubai and New Zealand while ignoring us in Brazil. It is really repulsive to see my little enclave fill with Porsche Taycan, Mercedes EQ, various BMW iX etc, plus the odd Fiat 500e, Chery iCar and an assortment of JAC's. The worst is to go to my local shopping centers which have free charging and see everything there except Tesla. Oh, Woe is me! /s

Nearly every week at least two of my relatives and acquaintances ask me when Tesla is coming. Several of my neighbors are enough serious to have purchased TSLA. This has become embarrassing!

I think its Elons style not to half-measure things. You can stick a handful of cars on a boat and ship them to New Zealand, but thats likely not good enough for Elon where Brazil is concerned. That huge-ass factory thats going to be built in Mexico is going to send more cars to Brazil than people expect.
I'm sure people have discussed it with him in terms of sending a few vehicles there to seed the demand, but knowing Elon he would rather concentrate on knowing how to sell 100,000 affordable model 2s and highlands in Mexico than just sell at few thousand Ys and S/X.

I see the same thing playing out with the Semi. They made a handful just to collect training data and work out the bugs, but have no interest in producing 200 or 1,000 this year. The whole company seems focused on only large-scale mass production and delivery.

They refunded my reveal 'morning after' deposit when they allowed deposits for Brazilian delivery. I had left that one in so far vain hope that Tesla would begin to serve the sixth largest car market in the world. They concentrated on smaller markets such as the UK, France, Italy, Canada etc.
car-sales-by-country.html
At least I did get a succession of Teslas in the US even though I had to buy a condominium with parking spaces to store them.
Oh well, we do have tons of GM, Stellantis and Volkswagen, and the Chinese are growing like topsy, while Hyundai is doing well. Then Geely is selling BEV's too, to me as well, reluctantly.

Then there's TSLA which generously has risen in market value enough to pay for my obsession with their products.

Why can't I buy one at home? /s (not really) I'm becoming irritated that Tesla picks off such huge markets as Thailand, Turkey, Dubai and New Zealand while ignoring us in Brazil. It is really repulsive to see my little enclave fill with Porsche Taycan, Mercedes EQ, various BMW iX etc, plus the odd Fiat 500e, Chery iCar and an assortment of JAC's. The worst is to go to my local shopping centers which have free charging and see everything there except Tesla. Oh, Woe is me! /s

Nearly every week at least two of my relatives and acquaintances ask me when Tesla is coming. Several of my neighbors are enough serious to have purchased TSLA. This has become embarrassing!
Nice post Unk. I know we've discussed this before, but do you feel there's any validity to the rumor that the Gen3 cars that will be built in Mexico are destined for Brazil primarily? I think for the deployment to be successful, not only would they need to be priced below $30k USD (or lower) but Tesla would need to build out the Supercharger network and service centers at a pace equal to or faster than the arrival of the cars. Does the potential audience have the capability to charge using just the base voltage available at home (which would help a lot while the supporting infrastructure is being put together)?

Would be interested on your and @GhostSkater 's opinions on the matter. Brazil is a huge to date untapped market and the interest seems to be there...

I remain single-mindedly focused on one Market situation, as in the above from the May 24 - June 8 period. The next 13F deadline is August 14 (so long from now!); that is when we will learn the extent to which BlackRock has or hasn't increased its TSLA position. For the record, as of March 31, they held 178.66MM shares, #2 amongst Institutional Investors after Vanguard's 220.62MM. I'll wager they may have surpassed Vanguard by the end of last quarter.

I suddenly remembered this one. Did a google and found this filed 8/11/2023:

SymIssuer NameClCUSIPValue ($000)%SharesPrincipalOption Type
AAPLAPPLE INCCOM037833100201,659,1375.6%1,039,640,859
MSFTMICROSOFT CORPCOM594918104182,612,8815.0%536,245,027
AMZNAMAZON COM INCCOM02313510679,634,8862.2%610,884,370
NVDANVIDIA CORPORATIONCOM67066G10477,030,6392.1%182,096,923
GOOGLALPHABET INCCAP STK CL A02079K30550,125,7041.4%418,761,111
TSLATESLA INCCOM88160R10148,660,2671.3%185,889,398
METAMETA PLATFORMS INCCL A30303M10244,704,6151.2%155,776,067
GOOGALPHABET INCCAP STK CL C02079K10743,449,4311.2%359,175,260

on this site: BlackRock Inc. Q2 2023 13F Top Portfolio Holdings

Sure seems like this upcoming week is the week of Highland. So many different anecdotal pieces of evidence + rumors.

- Rumor that sales people are being asked to come in early tomorrow
- Rumor of 3 production line fully switching over to Highland this week
- Drone footage of Shanghai showing cars under wraps

Now if the rumored specs + price turn out to be accurate....I'll actually feel sorry for BYD, Nio, and all of the other EV makers.

Exciting times.
How does it work in regards to delivering to customers?
Do we need to wait for EPA certification first?
Or could Tesla hold a delivery event before they receive official certification?
Another question on this-
Do we know if it’s been submitted for EPA cert already and how long it normally takes? (I know Elon said on the earnings that since this is radically new design concepts it will take longer… or something along this lines)

Here is that ExxonMobil ad:

Still trying to find it as it seems to be pulled. Apologies.

Edit: These ten stills give you the idea. Pretty pathetic ad. Mobil 1's Thinly Veiled Anti-EV Advert Isn't Fooling Anyone

More edit: I believe this one still shows the full ad. Most of my other attempts said "removed by uploader" or some such: Mobil 1 Says: Break Free of What Binds You and Hit the Open Road
While I TOTALLY disagree with the message of this Mobil 1 ad... you have to admit it's a really well done piece of propaganda! Kinda like the classic Apple 1984 hammer toss ad.

Just terrible. Scroll down this article to see it:
Poor concept the analogy of using multiple wires to people is outdated hasn't Exxon heard of 'Wireless' technolgy. Secondly apples should be compared to apples I don't see any EVs on the road. Oh and by the way your freedom is limited to your next Gas station, kind like having to find a EV charging station; both are harder to find as you venture into the less populated country with beautiful landscapes. Just my 10 cent comment.

Sure seems like this upcoming week is the week of Highland. So many different anecdotal pieces of evidence + rumors.

- Rumor that sales people are being asked to come in early tomorrow
- Rumor of 3 production line fully switching over to Highland this week
- Drone footage of Shanghai showing cars under wraps

Now if the rumored specs + price turn out to be accurate....I'll actually feel sorry for BYD, Nio, and all of the other EV makers.
What is the rumored specs and price?

Thanks