Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I only know because the driver said multiple times that she “never saw the kid”…which would be a weird claim, considering you’d have just spared a child’s life.

As you know, a big dose of adrenaline messes with short term memory. Not surprising the driver doesn't remember the details. Good thing you were there. :D

Glad to see the little girl pop right off off the pavement at the end of the video. She and her mom need some J-walking lessons (but not like this):

snapshot.0-20.jpg

Send that dashcam to daniel 'downer too! ;)

Cheers!

Strange but along with CT that are rumored to be headed to Detroit, maybe they are for press / you tuber test drives?
No. No. NO!!! 😀 No press... no showrooms... nowhere the trucks will be seen for publicity. Tesla are doing as little as possible to generate publicity. It's the Tesla Model Y of electric trucks. i.e. it will have a totally underplayed launch and will still be the best-selling offering in its segment.

Yes, the continued glimpses of test trucks either riding or being transported around are garnering attention, but it's really by/in the automotive enthusiast media. Not regular mall shoppers who see a Cybertruck in a store. Juicing average punters with no real info on how the truck performs in the real world into adding orders to the back of the long line in Q3 2023 is just going to add to delays and frustration.

Media will be scrambling to review the Cybertruck. I would not like to be Doug DeMuro's cellphone after the delivery event 🤣

As for TSLA, well I don't think it will fall back to $105 but I can believe it going back under $200. I have buy orders all the way down and I bought at 223/222/221/220/219 today. My 218 didn't trigger but I will try again Friday.

As you know, a big dose of adrenaline messes with short term memory. Not surprising the driver doesn't remember the details. Good thing you were there. :D

Glad to see the little girl pop right off off the pavement at the end of the video. She and her mom need some J-walking lessons (but not like this):

View attachment 966012

Send that dashcam to daniel 'downer too! ;)

Cheers!
It’s a bummer that the system does not mark the footage with some kind of gfx overlay when emergency braking is applied. With no sound recording from the cabin we technically can’t prove it was the software or the driver who reacted.

I personally have no doubt that FSD/autopilot could do this, but for the nay-sayers out there it would be so much more easy to prove the capabilities of the system…

Glad the girl seemed okay afterwards.

It’s a bummer that the system does not mark the footage with some kind of gfx overlay when emergency braking is applied. With no sound recording from the cabin we technically can’t prove it was the software or the driver who reacted.

Tesla has all the telemetry stored in the car. Tweet at Elon if you think owners should have access.

Tesla haven’t been able to ramp any ancillary projects in a super bull crazy way as yet.
Roof requires installation
Megapack requires batteries
Could dojo be that project?
Dojo requires chips. And chips requires more energy. Can we actually replace fossil fuels with renewables worldwide or are we just adding renewables on top of fossil fuels?

Remember Tesla's mission, "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy"? We haven't started fixing the problem, far from it: https://www.axios.com/2018/08/16/despite-renewables-growth-there-has-never-been-energy-transition. We need renewables to reduce fossil fuel usage in aggregate. Not find new ways to consume the electricity generated by new capacity (that was created to replace fossil fuels in the first place, not supplement it)

Last edited:
Dojo requires chips. And chips requires more energy. Can we actually replace fossil fuels with renewables worldwide or are we just adding renewables on top of fossil fuels?

Remember Tesla's mission, "to accelerate the world's transition to sustainable energy"? We haven't started fixing the problem, far from it: https://www.axios.com/2018/08/16/despite-renewables-growth-there-has-never-been-energy-transition. We need renewables to reduce fossil fuel usage in aggregate. Not find new ways to consume the electricity generated by new capacity (that was created to replace fossil fuels in the first place, not supplement it)

I don’t buy this argument. The reason is that most fossil fuel energy is wasted creating heat. Renewable energy is very efficient, so it takes far less total energy to get the same amount of work done.

Over in Berlin Tesla earlier cleared a new area for our Phase 2 build out. In today's video from Tobias Lindh we can see that they are installing temporary housing for presumably the workers who will work on Phase 2.

Back in the day there were many such rigs for the workers who did the Phase 1 build. Phase 2 is obviously getting closer!

The new housing rig is in this screenshot on the left of the new phase 2 Recycling Facility which is already under construction.

TempHousing.png

The rest of Tobias' video can be found here:

PS! It's possible that you could see my TMY in this video. Look for one of the Quicksilver'y ones. I recently ordered and according to the estimated delivery date and the Tesla shipping nerds it's most probably build day was yesterday - when Tobias was filming this. 🤓

Yeah, I know; I recorded it. I just wish I had captured the whole screen but at the time I was just trying to get the video footage to show to the trauma doc. (Everyone was pretty impressed that I was able to quickly locate the dash cam footage)

But I’m curious why it didn’t indicate that the vehicle had activated the pedestrian detection and applied the brakes.

Would be cool if there was some visual representation of this; I only know because the driver said multiple times that she “never saw the kid”…which would be a weird claim, considering you’d have just spared a childs’ life.
Pretty scary incident! So the car stopped all by itself? Were you in AP/FSD at the time?

Maybe it all happened too fast for the warning tone?

Pretty scary incident! So the car stopped all by itself? Were you in AP/FSD at the time?

Maybe it all happened too fast for the warning tone?
@FireMedic was a first responder/ EMT/ properTerm on the scene, not the driver.

The driver of this car said she never saw the kid, and the car braked on its own… I’m pretty sure the kids gonna be fine with just a few scratches on the elbows, but would almost certainly be facing a different outcome if there had been a different car in that spot. Note the car is almost at a complete stop at impact; and more importantly; did not run the kid over after impact.

The driver and mother gave me permission to share the video.

I needed this today. Tough week for my investments, but it’s always nice to have a little bit of a reminder of how critical the mission is.

The driver of this car said she never saw the kid, and the car braked on its own… I’m pretty sure the kids gonna be fine with just a few scratches on the elbows, but would almost certainly be facing a different outcome if there had been a different car in that spot. Note the car is almost at a complete stop at impact; and more importantly; did not run the kid over after impact.

The driver and mother gave me permission to share the video.

Thank you Tesla for making SAFETY a priority ! And BIG THANKS to @FireMedic for your service !!!

I personally have no doubt that FSD/autopilot could do this, but for the nay-sayers out there it would be so much more easy to prove the capabilities of the system…

Glad the girl seemed okay afterwards.
This 💯%

I had somehow never noticed that the dash cam didn’t mark the AEB event for the dash cam footage.

As soon as I saw the footage; and how little stop time there was; I figured it was the AEB. The lady was a bit older and didn’t strike me as someone with formula 1 reaction time. But when she said that she never saw the kid, I was convinced.

My brain kept seeing that kid pinned under a Corolla. Glad she was hit by a Tesla (what a weird thing to type).

I see lots of posts in my feed like this one:

Even saw someone saying that Tesla is screwed because Toyota is doing Hydrogen in the engines.

I am not even upset about these people. The nice thing with the market is that these people can believe what they do, but time will tell who is right and if you have skin in the game you will be rewarded/punished based on the outcome. Let them believe that EV will not totally dominate if they want, it's easy to do when EVs are 0-20% of the market. Harder when they are 80-100% of the market in the next decade which I am convinced they will be. And if I am wrong, then I deserve what is coming my way...

I don’t buy this argument. The reason is that most fossil fuel energy is wasted creating heat. Renewable energy is very efficient, so it takes far less total energy to get the same amount of work done.
The problem is, when we have more generating capacity, we find more work for it to do.

It's like when you build a new road to alleviate traffic. Then you just make it more convenient for more people to take more trips. The new road can sometimes be counterproductive.

At some point, renewables have to start truly taking over and eliminating fossil fuels. We have to start drawing down our emissions. Despite huge investment in renewables over the past few years, emissions have still been climbing. But 2023 could be the year it at least goes flat.

Of the many solutions we need, I think EVs are the easiest to implement. An EV really does replace fossil fuels because you can only drive one car at a time. And even if you power the EV with coal, you still get less emissions than an ICE vehicle.

But power generation is trickier because you can increase capacity with renewables and then just use more electricity. You don't necessarily cut emissions that way.

The original reason I was bullish on Tesla years ago is because I figured that as the climate crisis gets worse, people will become more and more desperate. Tesla can provide many of the tools we need to solve the problem and governments will pay through the nose for those solutions. The largess of the IRA showed that I was right. But having the tools and using them wisely are two different things. Let's pray for wisdom.

Your post makes it sounds like Tesla developing Dojo, which obviously has energy requirements, is at odds with the goal of moving the world to sustainable energy. That seems like you are painting Tesla as hypocritical. Taken to its logical conclusion, that would imply that any endeavor requiring energy usage is at odds with pursuing the goal of transitioning to sustainable energy.

That, of course, is not only not really possible, but ignores the overall equation. It took energy to build and equip the Tesla factories. It takes energy to run them, It takes energy to develop new technology, like FSD. But, if that helps make the Tesla EV's an incredibly compelling product, the eventual net impact is reduced energy consumption as they displace ICE vehicles. And the energy that is consumed is easily created by renewables. And along with making the vehicle compelling (thus spurring adoption), features such as FSD have the dual goals of making the cars safer thus saving lives, and allowing shared robotaxi usage, reducing the overall number of cars needed. Both of which are goals in line with the "help insulate humanity from risk" charter Tesla has.

So yes, we need to transition from fossil fuels to renewables. But the reality is that it will take some investment (in both money and energy usage) to eventually get there. And the rest of the world isn't going to just pause until it happens.

Last edited: