Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is all I can find in the last 20 minutes:

Hota news I saw earlier in the day on another site. Don't think it is that.

Same rhetoric, maybe this time they'll realize the ramp up was the cause of soft deliveries...nah....anything to push down $TSLA to scoop it up on the cheap.
Tried to tell y’all (said with my new Florida accent). BTDip.

I’m inland a little and there are zero Tesla to be found. People stop and stare around here still, like first contact scenario.

Good news, the grandkids know all about Tesla… like you wouldn't believe. 10 years old and he was tapping the charger before plugging it in, lol. Was the cutest thing. Only a few tricks left like open butthole command. Battery at 100% for some joy rides.

Historically no one ever cared about Zacks.

Someone said Morgan Stanley said something during their tech conference which caused the stock pop so...who knows.
I know what they said, since i have insider knowledge:
1. New factory in Mexico
2. New cybertruck to be launched imminently with over 1million reservations.
3. Acceptance of Tesla SC network by all major auto manufacturers
4. FSD can now learning by training on millions of miles of actual driving, which makes the solution elegant, and can start recognizing revenue
5. Lowering prices increased demand that more than overcomes the price drop per unit, MS admitted they have access to Excel and know how to use it
6. Optimus can pick up tires and do other factory work, and this is all ready happening. Can be trained by simply watching videos.
7. Pepsi is saving money on Tesla Semi and do not want to discuss details so they can make sure to remain competitive and profitable selling Fritos

Cool.

1. New factory in Mexico
Old news.

2. New cybertruck to be launched imminently with over 1million reservations.
Old news.

3. Acceptance of Tesla SC network by all major auto manufacturers
Old news.

4. FSD can now learning by training on millions of miles of actual driving, which makes the solution elegant, and can start recognizing revenue
Can start recognizing revenue? We've suspected as much, but that's a juicy new detail.

5. Lowering prices increased demand that more than overcomes the price drop per unit, MS admitted they have access to Excel and know how to use it
Nice if true.

6. Optimus can pick up tires and do other factory work, and this is all ready happening. Can be trained by simply watching videos.
Huge news if true! When will we see video?

7. Pepsi is saving money on Tesla Semi and do not want to discuss details so they can make sure to remain competitive and profitable selling Fritos
I don't understand this one. Why won't Pepsi share details again?

Is this one of those quarters where they miss on delivery because they're ramping up another new product line (i.e. Cybertruck + Highland). Then, wall street and the media sensationalize it and say Demandddd problemzz. Finally, followed by an amazing Q4 per usual with much rejoicing?
Remember Tesla guided in the Q2 call for lower numbers in Q3 vs. Q2. It *shouldn't* shock or surprise anyone. We know it's coming.

Will Wall Street poop their pants? Surely. Don't they always?
Will TSLAQ claim demand problems and poop their cute little diapers? Surely. Don't they always?

The rest of us have our eyes on the long game.

Yes, the Wash Post article quoted from the Tesla Impact report.

In the real world, sometimes things are not as written--hence the WaPo article. And yes, they did "their own research" as indicated at the top of the article (at significant risk since China is a communist state where there is no first amendment protection for free speech; instead you can go to jail for years on end.):

Reporter Evan Halper spent months mapping the opaque China-based supply chains behind the production of millions of electric vehicles. With the help of researchers, he pieced together hundreds of financial disclosures, company communications, social media postings, reports from Xinjiang news outlets and contracts to reach the findings in this project. Halper covers energy for The Washington Post’s business desk.

Source:

Again, for the sake of the mission, and TSLA stock valuation, it would have been far better for a least some comment, reply, and rebuttal by a one-person deep PR department. Even a "we are very serious about forced labor and are looking into this" would have been better than what we have, which is "crickets."

The void is filled by the press narrative.

Period.

Not smart.

Where is Tesla's BOD on their duty to govern Tesla?
Having read the extensive article, I have to agree with - at least most of your post.
There is a lot of gonzo journalism out there. Seen plenty. This WaPo piece was not that. First, it did indeed mention that other companies who use materials from Xinjiang province face this same problem. They even named some of them, but EVs are the focus so Tesla is also named a lot. The piece seems to draw from multiple sources with years of experience and research in and into China and its labor practices.

It is clear from the article that this supply chain question "is there forced labor from Xinjiang province in Company X's supply chain?" is hard to pin down for CCP-secrecy-and-PR-related reasons, multiple supplier/chain documentation reasons, and quite frankly, despite unequivocal statements of cleanliness from any Company X that gets materials mined from Xinjiang province, for the reason that various Company X's appear (implied in the article) to not try _too_ hard to find out (and the efforts they make, do in fact get stymied by various Chinese business/government practices). [It sort of reminded me of how Russia is managing to sell much of its oil to mysterious 'someones' through what they are calling a "shadow fleet" of tankers right now, despite that officially not being legal for most of it. When there is demand and there is product, the market often finds a way, while maintaining plausible deniability for various parties.]

• I do not know if paying 20-30 PR people for Tesla to respond to this sort of thing would be cost effective for the mission. Impossible for me to say; too many hypotheticals. I do find their lack of public response (outside of Elon/X) alternately great and frustrating.
    • I do wish more areas of the earth - with more transparent and less repressive governments - mined and refined these materials - which included (IIRC) things like bauxite and steel, in addition to the expected lithium that we read so much about (so yes, absolutely more than just EVs have this supply chain issue, but their demand likely exacerbates it), so that we might address transitioning our auto fleet to electric in time to save generations of humans without resorting to minerals pulled from the earth by (potentially? more?) forced labor. The fact that this is not the case in the world as it exists today, plus the fact that mines and refineries take time to permit and build, means any Company X's choices today that needs these materials actually are constrained.
    • By comparison, it goes without saying that much fossil fuel extraction is in places with awful and repressive governments, some of them kingdoms that maintain a grip on power due to state capture of the FF profits, and capture of the state by FF companies.
    • I am glad that Tesla is building a lithium refinery in the USA to try to address what they can of this issue.
    • I am glad the US Inflation Reduction Act's effects subsidize the creation of a non-China and therefore non-Xinjiang supply chain, with (as greedy shareholder) a good bit of that flowing to Tesla for doing what they already wanted to do
    • Are any traditional automakers building refineries? I don't recall seeing that in the press anywhere, but someone here would likely have noted this.
    [*]

Remember Tesla guided in the Q2 call for lower numbers in Q3 vs. Q2. It *shouldn't* shock or surprise anyone. We know it's coming.

Will Wall Street poop their pants? Surely. Don't they always?
Will TSLAQ claim demand problems and poop their cute little diapers? Surely. Don't they always?

The rest of us have our eyes on the long game.

So, 2x by end of year? 🤷‍♂️

TBH, we're most of the way there already. I'm showing TSLA up ~150% since the first trading day in January.

Maserati is also gearing up for the arrival of its fully electric models by establishing a charging ecosystem. The brand is taking steps to equip its dealerships with chargers and provide drivers with charge-finding and route-planning assistance. Maserati aims to ensure that its electric lineup launches without the false starts experienced in the past.

If you see a Maserati EV, you _must_ ask the owner "Is that a Tesla?" in order to complete the circle.

It occurs to me that a video of Optimus doing real factory work might end the UAW negotiations.

If you think Cybertruck has a lot of pre-orders, you ain't seen nuthin' yet.

It occurs to me that a video of Optimus doing real factory work might end the UAW negotiations.

Then they’d ask for the 3 day workweek, same pay. That’s the logic so far anyway. (Referring to that Automation poster in Fain’s office.)

But that’s possibly a good idea. It takes some wind out of their sails.