Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's odd to me is Q1 and Q2 total production was 30k vehicles higher than deliveries... but in Q3 with reduced production deliveries were only 5k higher than production.

I was expecting a larger inventory drawdown than that with the reduced production.
Seems a LOT of new M3 have been loaded onto ships in the final weeks of September, likewise new M3 has been stockpiling in Shanghai, waiting for permission to sell them

Q4 is going to be >500k I think, I can feel it in my waters...

An interesting collection of commodity price charts on x:
The basic conclusion is that at least at the commodity level, shortages are OVER, and this should soon feed through into low inflation. In fact it looks pretty urgent. I agree with Elon, at this rate, the fed risks deflation.

Which is relevant to us because it means rates could come down FAST once they start, which would be fantastic news to us, partly because raw material costs for Tesla will fall, and partly because lower rates mean more people can afford Cybertrucks and Highlands.

Lots of really good data-backed reasons to be a happy HODLer right now.

An interesting collection of commodity price charts on x:
The basic conclusion is that at least at the commodity level, shortages are OVER, and this should soon feed through into low inflation. In fact it looks pretty urgent. I agree with Elon, at this rate, the fed risks deflation.

Which is relevant to us because it means rates could come down FAST once they start, which would be fantastic news to us, partly because raw material costs for Tesla will fall, and partly because lower rates mean more people can afford Cybertrucks and Highlands.

Lots of really good data-backed reasons to be a happy HODLer right now.

I agree economy looks not bad right now. The shortage led inflation seems to have disappeared. i suspect we are still in the midst of a many years long structural inflation due to reshoring, but thatā€™s manageable. Rates wonā€™t come down to where they were, but will head to 3-4% which the economy can manage just fine. 2024 is looking pretty good right now, at least the second half, donā€™t know when the stock market will react.

The factories restarted far enough from the end of the quarter to mostly refill the shipping pipeline. Shanghai had at least 3 ships outbound at EoQ.

Shutdown
Drain pipeline (16 day drawdown)
End of deliveries
Restart
Refill pipeline (15 day refill @ Q2 delivery rate*)
End result is deliveries and production both take a similar drop
Had the restart happened closer to the end, P vs D would have a larger delta

*Q3 days of inventory will be around 22.
Correction, days of inventory is 16 for Q3. I goofed a step in the calculation. (0.218*75, not 0.218 shift the decimal).

Looks like share price is still following Model 3/Y delivery performance. At what point does this change? Q4?

As it looks like delivery performance is optimized for accuracy with the share price at this point (judging from this chart). Could today's post-Q3 and into Q4 performance be based on expectations from Earnings and Q4 delivery performance?

Screenshot 2023-10-02 at 9.06.11 AM.png

Q3 was about shifting Production into a Higher Gear.
āš™ļøāš™ļøāš™ļøāš™ļø
I come up with approx 477,000 needed in Q4 to equal 1.8M, so shoot for 1/2M+.

I think a key word in the press release was around 1.8M. To me, that implies something above 1.75M. If they were confident in 1.8M+, they would not have used that word.