Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's much more in line with what I expected when I posted suggesting the idea that Tesla would take a 50% cut didn't seem likely based on the tweet and their previous modus operandi...
It's an open question as to how aggressive Tesla will be in pursuing its L2 charging network. If Tesla is going to build a super-affordable Gen 3 vehicle then that means a lot more apartment dwellers will need charging. Only Tesla could build out the L2 network fast enough to keep up with demand. Of course, that assumes the Gen 3 vehicle is sold to the public.

So let's assume that Tesla believes its L2 charging network is important for the mission. The number of EVs on the road will grow exponentially as expected. Tesla will need become very aggressive in rolling out its L2 network.

Then the next open question is how aggressive Tesla will be in pursuing profit from its L2 charging network. At first I think Tesla will try to just break even and go for market share. But break-even will still require a significant cut of the revenue as Tesla will need to quickly ramp production of chargers and hire a lot of people to manage the network.

After the L2 network is established and the ramp phase is over, revenue will start to massively dwarf expenses.

To give you all an idea of the revenue opportunity, just look at ChargePoint. They mostly concentrate on the L2 network. Their revenue comes from hardware sales, network subscriptions, and maintenance contracts. They don't take a cut of the electricity delivered. Their annual revenue is already $600 million and they are tiny compared to where this market is going.

Tesla is going to be standing in front of a huge flood of money.

That's a 27% increase in deliveries YoY. Very credible in this market. Any other automakers manage that? No I thought not.
And importantly "Our 2023 volume target of around 1.8 million vehicles remains unchanged." That shows confidence.
Yup the unchanged target is VERY interesting. I suspect they are pretty confident that the downtime was worth it for a higher future throughput. If they can have downtime and hit 1.8, then that means very good things in 2024.

Yup the unchanged target is VERY interesting. I suspect they are pretty confident that the downtime was worth it for a higher future throughput. If they can have downtime and hit 1.8, then that means very good things in 2024.
This is where Elon postulating about POSSIBLY hitting 2M in that earlier earnings call hurts....just sandbag a bit Elon. C'mon, YOU CAN DO IT! :>

Pre-market:
$240.65
(3.82%)-9.57
Closed: Oct 2, 9:10:00 AM UTC-4 · USD · NASDAQ
Time to buy!
facepalm-really.gif

Well, conventional thinking might apply Wright's Law in this situation, and predict that renewables will decrease in price by ~17% for every doubling in deployment of any particular energy technology. I however am not conventional in that respect, I am an advocate of "Information Theory".

To wit, last week I conducted a 2,700km round trip to visit family here in Canada. Total cost for charging? Zero. That's right, four L3 and seven L2 charging (3 full + 4 partial) sessions, all on free public chargers. But was it actually free? Clearly not! Indeed, I pay $14 Cdn per month for my Tesla's "Premium Connectivity" service giving access to certain public websites. Did I trade time for money? Sure, but then with Tesla "Camp Mode", I wouldn't actually have saved much travel time (perhaps 2 hrs total). And 2.7K kms in 99 hrs is still a pretty brisk pace INCLUDING visiting family.

So, "information" has become the new "fuel" in the 24½th 21st Century. Like renewables, information too becomes more abundant, hence less expensive, over time.

02a03f96-aec9-44ef-87da-3f1187623d51_text.gif

Cheers!
Thanks Dodger, agreed.

And excuse the typo in my original post, I meant to say "[L2 charging] is one of the worst of Tesla's TAMs, IMHO." (Total Addressable Market).

Was that 1.8 million production or delivery?

Adding up production from all the 2023 P&D reports, I get that Tesla only needs to produce about 449,000 in Q4 to hit 1.8 million. Should be a cake walk.

Have I miscalculated?
I assumed it was deliveries. If so they need to deliver 476,000 in Q4. That's 10,000 more than Q2, which is certainly achievable

At least we know production has definitively NOT started for the Cybertruck. Everything a release candidate, etc. Model S/X sales disappointing (esp considering price cut).
Yeah that was definitely lower than I was expecting--although not surprising given the economy. Price cut was a bit late in the quarter though, so I wonder if Tesla kept waiting to pull the trigger on cuts--they probably waited a bit too long.

S/X production and sales absolutely terrible considering the price cuts. There is not "production - constrained" excuse here. Production levels are way below capacity already.

I'm estimating ~ $0.7 EPS for the quarter. Annualized this is $2.8 EPS, meaning Tesla is at a current PE ratio of 85 with low earnings growth. Sadly that is not sustainable and the stock will be going down in the short term.

Calls for $350 share price this year are laughable. 2024 earnings estimates are going to get revised down further until analysts can see some light at the end of the tunnel? When will that be? It isn't going to be this year with interest rates staying high and Musk turning off more potential customers with tone-def tweets.

I am still hoping for a rebound in share price to sustainably go above $300 mid 2024, but consumer weakness is really hurting earnings more than I thought. FSD isn't ready to push margins up significantly. Megapack is really the only thing left of hope.

What's odd to me is Q1 and Q2 total production was 30k vehicles higher than deliveries... but in Q3 with reduced production deliveries were only 5k higher than production.

I was expecting a larger inventory drawdown than that with the reduced production.
The factories restarted far enough from the end of the quarter to mostly refill the shipping pipeline. Shanghai had at least 3 ships outbound at EoQ.

Shutdown
Drain pipeline (16 day drawdown)
End of deliveries
Restart
Refill pipeline (15 day refill @ Q2 delivery rate*)
End result is deliveries and production both take a similar drop
Had the restart happened closer to the end, P vs D would have a larger delta

*Q3 days of inventory will be around 22.