Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This is really going to hurt GM (and probably Ford and Stelantis - assuming they sign something like that).

Wonder if it's better for GM to just buy fully assembled packs from LG or someone, and not bother with battery manufacturing.
Don't worry, Mary will save them. I'm sure she has a plan by now...

I just don't get these lawsuits. To us AP/FSD you basically have to sign to accept any and all responsibility and not hold Tesla liable. Did contract law all of a sudden not start to be . . . law?

Heard from a lawyer who has tried to bring several AP and SUA lawsuits against Tesla on behalf of well-heeled clients…their data combined with liability agreements make for a bulletproof case. People will keep trying though…

Relevant bit for folks who were unsure what happens if you take the credit then later realize you didn't qualify for some/all of it:

Section 30D(g)(10) provides that in the case of any taxpayer who has made a
vehicle transfer election with respect to a new clean vehicle and received a payment
from an eligible entity, if the section 30D credit would otherwise (but for section 30D(g))
not be allowable to such taxpayer pursuant to the application of the modified AGI
limitations in section 30D(f)(10), the income tax imposed on such taxpayer under
chapter 1 for the taxable year in which such vehicle was placed in service must be
increased by the amount of the payment received by such taxpayer.

So as suggested previously- IRS will reconcile with you when you file taxes and you'll owe the $ back at that time.... this might also hit you with underpayment penalties depending on the amounts involved and other circumstances- so you'll want to insure you understand the credit qualifications before taking it as POS.
Not sure why you say it's the opposite when the bit I quoted specifically cites the income cap as the one that causes recapture.

Some folks here previously thought all requirements go away with POS-- that one does not and they will claw back if you're in violation of it.

THAT said- the other violation you bring up, which effectively makes this a refundable credit for those with LOWER income, IS surprising and a pretty huge bit of news if the final rules end up that way (the text you quote being proposed, but not final). It's especially great news for folks in places like CA that have low-income credits where the overlap to get both was narrow-- it's much larger now if this sticks.
Yes, the synergistic effect at the state level for making the fed credit against taxes be refundable is huge!
For California the contortions needed to both get a >$7500 fed tax bill while getting < 4X federal poverty level for different combinations of household size was crazy, but the payoff was another $7500-$9500 rebate by the state.

I said "was" because unfortunately the CA CVRP program has run out of funds except for a waiting list.
But there may be hope in 2024 since the CA "Clean Cars 4 All" program may subsume CVRP at least for
low-mid income folks in certain pollution-prone zip codes:

You're going to love the Plaid, but you'll miss your P85 too, that was the most fin car I've ever owned, all that power on RWD was a constant giggle-fest, loved it, and the pano roof...

That’s why I still have my P85, with only one disadvantage.
I have a 911 cabrio ‘summer car’. Since I have the P85 the Porsche feels slow. :(
The P85 is the best car I ever had.
Now almost 10 years and it is still driving like new, unbelievable.
And.. when I tell people how many km the P85 has on the ODO and that I still have the original brake pads, the look on their face is priceless.

I just don't get these lawsuits. To us AP/FSD you basically have to sign to accept any and all responsibility and not hold Tesla liable. Did contract law all of a sudden not start to be . . . law?

This is really going to hurt GM (and probably Ford and Stelantis - assuming they sign something like that).

Wonder if it's better for GM to just buy fully assembled packs from LG or someone, and not bother with battery manufacturing.
It can’t be emphasized enough how Tesla must avoid this death trap. At this point there won’t be a “just transition” for these guys because there won’t be ANY transition.

That’s why I still have my P85, with only one disadvantage.
I have a 911 cabrio ‘summer car’. Since I have the P85 the Porsche feels slow. :(
The P85 is the best car I ever had.
Now almost 10 years and it is still driving like new, unbelievable.
And.. when I tell people how many km the P85 has on the ODO and that I still have the original brake pads, the look on their face is priceless.
There is every chance that when the owners of P85s trade them in for a new car, the second owner of the car will still be getting a great car.
This is one area where Daimler-Benz had a good reputation, second and third owners of a car still had a good experience.
It is likely that when used Tesla's become affordable, many buyers will be surprised how good the car is, and the cars will change many opinions.

spot on assessment... "paid for advertising is for the weak and lazy" and once you start it is like a drug that you cant stop.. so don't start

Friends don't let friends do New Coke. ;)

ddjgwBFrM4Y.jpg

Cheers to the 'Eighties!

This is probably the biggest unknown feature of the horn that I see. Just slam your whole palm on the right side of the yoke where the buttons are and the horn will go off. No need to look for that horn button.
Yes, indeed, Elon has stated this on Twitter at least once.

Sadly, it more often than not results in turning on the wipers vs. sounding the horn . . . which is rather dangerous when in a situation in which one needs to sound the horn.

This is quite an absurd UI/HF mistake and while Tesla appears to fixed the horn location issue on the new Model 3, the fact that Tesla is still shipping MS's and Mx's with a horn that it is effectively unusable in an emergency is quite absurd.

Yes, indeed, Elon has stated this on Twitter at least once.

Sadly, it more often than not results in turning on the wipers vs. sounding the horn . . . which is rather dangerous when in a situation in which one needs to sound the horn.

This is quite an absurd UI/HF mistake and while Tesla appears to fixed the horn location issue on the new Model 3, the fact that Tesla is still shipping MS's and Mx's with a horn that it is effectively unusable in an emergency is quite absurd.
You sure must honk your horn a lot.

It is likely that when used Tesla's become affordable, many buyers will be surprised how good the car is, and the cars will change many opinions.
IMO, used Tesla's right now are the best value in the auto industry. Affordability is of course YMMV but for the amount of car you get and the used prices these days, hard to beat a Tesla.

Im waiting for the used PLAID S to come down to the $50k range and ill pull the trigger :)