Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not necessarily a bad thing right now.

If Cybertruck is as good as I think it is, Tesla is going to rake in a lot of cash from it in 2025. The US truck market is huge.
Not to mention take a lot of cash from Ford, GM, Toyota and Ram. Those companies are dependent on their high-priced, high margin P/U lines to survive. Wouldn't be too surprised to see CT be the final nail in GMs coffin.

Last edited:
If Gordon Johnson had said Tesla dug it’s grave with cybertruck, everyone here would ridicule him but it’s somehow ok for Musk to use those words
Give it a rest, pls and txs. It was a metaphor (not a literal statement) for the unexpected difficulties they are facing in building such a radically different vehicle. They had no idea and nobody would have any idea because it’s never been done before.

Seriously people. Way to disappoint.

That was sobering. At least I don't have any Calls!

If Cybertruck is as good as I think it is, Tesla is going to rake in a lot of cash from it in 2025. The US truck market is huge.
... or eventually.

Are we to assume that the safety rumor re CT crash test is false? If it's coming Nov 30th, seems it would have to be a non-issue or something minor at this point.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Are we to assume that the safety rumor re CT crash test is false? If it's coming Nov 30th, seems it would have to be a non-issue or something minor at this point.
Yes, but that doesn't mean it's ready for mass production in November. The delivery event will likely be employees and maybe big investors/influencers like we've seen with the Semi and MY AWD. I doubt we see many actual customers this year and that could give time resolve anything. I doubt it's actually in production yet (pre-production according to the slides).

You still cannot configure one to buy, so it's not ready for most to get excited.

Reactions: SOULPEDL
I've bought three Freemont Teslas in the past three years. Fit and finish were perfect. You just don't hear about those problems any more.

Back before 2020, Tesla was still learning how to make cars at high volume. Those issues back then had nothing to do with a culture problem in the USA.

I bought one in the past year, Fremont. F+F left a lot to be desired on it, tbh.

And one of the major car magazines just did a review of the S Plaid with Track Pack. Newly delivered car, and they pointed out some pretty glaring F+F problems.

This is a Fremont problem. The other locations, QC is much better.

Chins up. He’s hyperbolic in good times and not so good.
This is the flip side of the sugar-high BS he was spinning during battery day. The road ahead won’t be as bad as his dark musings. Good lord, it was like he was about to be sent into freaking Mordor or something.
The analysts should look up from their screens one in awhile. "My god, Tesla is down to the same profit level as traditional automakers!"
It was a good run at vast net, the extra money got rolled into the smart things... finest and most efficient vehicle factories ever made, And so long run things look much much more solid that they do for ford, GM and VW to name three.
Life would be better if, given all this factory capacity, we were three or four years deeper into the EV adaption curve, but every minute can’t be great.

Many people posting here are wealthy and perhaps not aware of how tight things have become for the median income household

This resonates so much, I see people on this very topic posting pics of their new Plaids, going on overseas weeklong vacations and so many other examples, and all I can think is how far away I, and likely the vast majority of the population, specially in a non US centric view are from that, multiplied by 10 on the current environment

Easy to think everything is good with the sun shinning when your own windows are gold platted

He spoke that “truth” in the worst way possible.
I realize I'm a bit late to the discussion and did not have the ability to listen to the conference call this afternoon, but based on what I'm reading here, I'm glad I didn't... not even looking forward to reading the transcript.

However, one thing to keep in mind is that Elon knows a LOT more about the US economy and the myriad of other things occuring in the world than what was discussed today. Hate to say it, but perhaps he's prepping us for what really may coming... scary thought especially for some of us, but things may get a lot worse before they get better.

Time to go to Mars!

Give it a rest, pls and txs. It was a metaphor (not a literal statement) for the unexpected difficulties they are facing in building such a radically different vehicle. They had no idea and nobody would have any idea because it’s never been done before.

Seriously people. Way to disappoint.

You're the one disappointing with a comically positive take on absolutely everything even more than Elon. He has a history with this, from the Falcon doors on the X to the Model 3 over-automation to the Cybertruck production. Call a spade a spade. By always trying to spin everything positive, you discredit everything you say like Fox News and make the community look bad with your nonstop simping.

This was a bad call. And that's okay.

You're the one disappointing with a comically positive take on absolutely everything even more than Elon. He has a history with this, from the Falcon doors on the X to the Model 3 over-automation to the Cybertruck production. Call a spade a spade. By always trying to spin everything positive, you discredit everything you say like Fox News and make the community look bad with your nonstop simping.

LoLing at "positive take" and Kugerrand.

Juxtaposition.

Have the utmost respect for the cat.

EM is a great person. Sometimes he needs to chillax as well, and not sing dirges on the quarterlies.

He should have said what you wrote above.
We all go through life having moments where we need to chillax, be more this, be more that, don’t do this, do that etc…. Our journeys and lessons all differ.

I just take exception to the pile on of judgement, ridicule, and criticism of a person who has genuinely done more for propelling humanity in a better future direction than anyone. Someone posted; the weight of the world. Truth. But we think it’s acceptable to crap on him because he’s not everything we want him to be for OUR monetary benefit. Because that’s what it boils down to; he’s not doing enough in the ‘proper’ way to line our pockets. How dare he!

Yeah, saying what I wrote would have gone over a lot better in the money circles on an ER call, but where I possess more talent and ability than Elon doesn’t get us to sustainability or Mars.

Yes, that's what Elon implied, but that isn't what will actually happen. It is very possible for the economy to pick up, and people to start buying cars again in volume even with interest rates where they are. In the 1990s (it was only 25 years ago people!), we had 6% interest rates with an absolutely BOOMING economy. So while Elon cries about interest rates, he may find that it doesn't matter as much as he thinks IF the economy picks up.
What matters to most everyday people is the amount of their car payments. And while the Tesla website attempts to show this, the way that driving a Tesla will affect the amount of total cash outlay per month. This is what really needs to be communicated to folks. I can't tell you how many people don't think they can afford payments on a Model 3 SR RWD, yet these same folks are paying $200 or more per month in fuel! Then a Tesla (new or used) becomes more than affordable. That's what Tesla needs to communicate in any advertising... it benefits not only Tesla but all BEV sales.

Got to wake up the masses to show just how affordable owning a BEV really is.

I'm starting to wonder where we'd be if the X was a simple scaled-up version of the S, if TSLA never bought SCTY, if they had never bothered with FSD and Optimus and gone straight to the 25k car after the Y, if Cybertruck was normal, if Elon never bought Twitter or tweeted. I'll admit it's been an entertaining and profitable ride, but what kind of volume could Tesla be moving right now if they had just followed the initial vehicle plan without all the distractions?
Not relevant. But a great exercise in tricking yourself into believing the future would have been better and what happened instead sucks/is a shadow of what could have been.

If max capacity is 250k then it won’t be all that much. I find this plan puzzling tbh. If that is the plan then where is the boring style truck?

US sales alone are 2-3 million for pick ups. Maybe Elon was just trying to set very low expectations.

Here's a question - Why is Tesla building the CT if it's extremely difficult to build at an affordable price instead of building and ramping ASAP the cheaper platform version? IF Elon is worried about monthly payments/economy, then you would want to produce the cheapest product so that people can buy it...

Because the capital needed to put that into customers hands is orders of magnitude (lol) bigger than getting Cybertruck going at this time, Elon wants to have a huge war chest pile of cash in case it's needed

What exactly was bad about the call? Is the company going bankrupt? Did they accrue some unexpected debt? Did they close down a factory? Did they say they were going to reduce production and deliveries going forward? Are they suddenly cash flow negative? Are they doing a physical recall of every car they ever made because the batteries are catching on fire?

Enlighten me. What was so bad about the EARNINGS REPORT call? Oh, Elon being Elon didn’t say what you wanted him to say to goose the SP so your options could pay you handsomely for doing absolutely nothing of value for humanity.

Here's a question - Why is Tesla building the CT if it's extremely difficult to build at an affordable price instead of building and ramping ASAP the cheaper platform version? IF Elon is worried about monthly payments/economy, then you would want to produce the cheapest product so that people can buy it...
Timing. Battery production.