Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh that was good:

"You don't get points back on fuel purchases" was my favorite. That's as logical as the people that want a giant mortgage so they can get the tax writeoff.
And even that is false. I pay my electric bill with a card, and my Tesla account hits my card, as does all the other charging networks. 😆

I'd really like some more details. Surely, the DMV cited some statistics along with the suspension.

Here's the DMV ruling:

Today’s suspensions are based on the following:

• 13 CCR §228.20 (b) (6) - Based upon the performance of the vehicles, the Department determines the manufacturer's vehicles are not safe for the public's operation.
  • 13 CCR §228.20 (b) (3) - The manufacturer has misrepresented any information related to safety of the autonomous technology of its vehicles.
  • 13 CCR §227.42 (b)(5) - Any act or omission of the manufacturer or one of its agents, employees, contractors, or designees which the department finds makes the conduct of autonomous vehicle testing on public roads by the manufacturer an unreasonable risk to the public.
  • 13 CCR §227.42 (c)- The department shall immediately suspend or revoke the Manufacturer's Testing Permit or a Manufacturer's Testing Permit - Driverless Vehicles if a manufacturer is engaging in a practice in such a manner that immediate suspension is required for the safety of persons on a public road

No real data, but at least it gives the reasons

Tri-Motor CT was originally announced at 75K. This was 4 years ago, old money.

This is steep but makes sense for this much stainless steel. Also, this could have been some fake sales pitch.

Curious about 'regular' CT pricing.

Based on inflation, announced pricing for Tri-Motor goes from $69,990 in 2019 to $91,476.93 in 2023. That's cheap compared to a Ford F-150 Raptor with a Coyote and similar specs... oh, wait.

Plus the grey-market for the launch edition offer a huge markup. We already know the 1st one sold at auction from The Peterson in L.A. for $400K

This is not good, I see Cruise and Waymo as policy pathfinders for all robotaxi networks including Tesla. This is setting a bad precedence.
It's a bad precedence but an inevitable one I think, because true robotaxis are seemingly nowhere near becoming reality even geofenced into a hotbed of autonomy much less generalized across an entire country, across all seasons, across all edge cases, etc, and then expanded globally across different countries with different conventions, different quality of infrastructure, and everything else.

Also 69,900$ in 2019 is worth 84,000$ today.

Yes, if you were buying the core consumer index. Things like milk, bread, energy, and cars have gone up more than the index.

It has begun... VW to stop selling ICE vehicles in Norway at the end of 2023:

It's a bad precedence but an inevitable one I think, because true robotaxis are seemingly nowhere near becoming reality even geofenced into a hotbed of autonomy much less generalized across an entire country, across all seasons, across all edge cases, etc, and then expanded globally across different countries with different conventions, different quality of infrastructure, and everything else.
I guess we don't know where DMV really sits without knowing what they're demanding from Cruise to get reinstated

The DMV has provided Cruise with the steps needed to apply to reinstate its suspended permits, which the DMV will not approve until the company has fulfilled the requirements to the department’s satisfaction.

• Informative
Reactions: JusRelax
Tesla's automotive fundamentals remain excellent. Do not be distracted by the visible numbers for Q3.

Most importantly, Tesla still really hasn't achieved economies of scale yet. Total gross margin was still 18% but net margin was only 8%, due to opex eating up 40% of the gross profit. Plus, much of that opex was going towards development of Optimus, Dojo, and new businesses like virtual power plants. At 10M+ vehicles per year kind of scale, there should be much more operating leverage. And they're still shipping cars very long distances, on average, which will be greatly mitigated in the future with more factories each serving smaller regions.

There also is consistent variability from foreign exchange because Tesla does not hedge for this. In Q3, it was a $400 million headwind. However, the long-term average effect of forex fluctuations is likely to be roughly 0, so this should be factored out when analyzing a single quarter.

Tesla's global average automotive unit economics are depressed, have been depressed, and will continue to be depressed by the explosive production growth curve, for several reasons. This implies that whenever growth slows down and the automotive business is no longer in startup mode, the latent, underlying economics will show through.

1) For as long as Tesla is expanding quickly, new production lines will constitute a large portion of total production. These factories still haven't reached maturity yet. This was noted on the front page of the Q3 deck: "...production cost at our new factories remained higher than our established factories...". In Q3 this effect was especially pronounced due to Shanghai, the most profitable and efficient plant, being shut down, which removed it from the global production mix, and then beginning low-rate initial production of M3 Highland, which effectively turned it too into a partially new factory with temporarily higher costs per unit.

2) The fleet is young. As Elon has noted on an earnings call a few years ago, historically most OEMs have made most of their profit not on initial sale, but instead on out-of-warranty replacement parts and financing. Tesla, being new and rapidly growing, does not get this benefit (yet). For the average Tesla car, the total lifetime profit for Services & Other has mostly not occurred yet, but savvy investors should consider the net present value of these expected future cash flows instead of fixating on the economics of the initial sales and early years of vehicle life, which is all that is currently showing in the financial reports. Almost all Tesla vehicles in existence are still under warranty, and the current fleet still has lots of $$ for Supercharging, premium connectivity, insurance and FSD still waiting to accrue over time.

3) Tesla's vehicle ASP is continually depressed by competition. Not so much because the competitors are competently competing, but more so because they are willing to sell their EVs for big losses. Tesla's aggressive growth is, at times, outpacing the growth of demand for Tesla cars, and that demand exists in a market where the competitors are essentially compensating for their inadequacy by giving up and hoping their costs will massively improve in the future. The huge losses are subsidized either by investment capital (e.g. Rivian) or ICE profits (legacy OEMs). Obviously, this is a transient market situation which is unsustainable in the long run, and therefore it is not representative of where things are headed in the 2030s and beyond. The competition still has not shown anywhere close to the degree of cost control (and the engineering behind it) that Tesla has shown, and the gap is likely to widen with mature 4680 production and with the Gen 3 platform, based on what was disclosed at Investor Day.

None of this has changed recently. The only major recent change was substantially cutting car prices, which, according to the company, is basically just adjusting for interest increases to keep monthly loan/lease payments approximately equal to where they had been previously. Automotive is a cyclical business that currently is in a recession. So what?

Last edited:
This is not good, I see Cruise and Waymo as policy pathfinders for all robotaxi networks including Tesla. This is setting a bad precedence.
Tesla should not be even in the same bucket as those. Clumping Tesla FSD with them is really bad for Tesla. Theoretically, all want to achieve the same goal which is FSD, but the way Waymo does it has been questionable to be polite. I am shocked they got any kind of license if the first place.

I guess we don't know where DMV really sits without knowing what they're demanding from Cruise to get reinstated

The DMV has provided Cruise with the steps needed to apply to reinstate its suspended permits, which the DMV will not approve until the company has fulfilled the requirements to the department’s satisfaction.

That one is a pretty simple fix: put a transponder on each SF fire truck. Unless they already have them (then grant access to the G/D data, SF). In my city, even the Buses have GPS trackers so you can see on ur cell ph when the next one arrives.

Cruise already won't turn left if it can make 3 rights instead, won't go on the hiway, etc. Hard to imagine they couldn't easily add another "won't" for fire trucks.