Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So we wake up one day and can start having intelligent conversations with our cars. Presumably only shallow conversations while driving - but could get deep n meaningful at the supercharger.

I can think of relationship implications, more people drawn by physical factors, for mental stimulation there’s grok. Can anybody see an impact on the stock? I suppose the car can take on secretarial duties - that’s worth something.

Is someone willing to extrapolate this for me? Is this saying xAI coming to our Tesla's? Is a premium X account likely required or just a Tesla? What timeline seems probable? Is xAI similar to ChatGPT or? Having trouble understanding potential implications and would appreciate other's thoughts that understand this story better...

EDIT: Found articles for some helpful context:

"The newest Elon Musk company is xAI; it was formed in July 2023 as a rival to ChatGPT creator OpenAI. Musk was one of the original founders of OpenAI but resigned from the board in 2018."

"Although X and xAI are separate, the companies work closely together. xAI also works with Tesla and other companies."

Last edited:
So we wake up one day and can start having intelligent conversations with our cars. Presumably only shallow conversations while driving - but could get deep n meaningful at the supercharger.

If "Grōk AI" LLM is an example of the products coming to a Tesla 'App Store', then the future will be very, very green... :D

Having trouble understanding potential implications and would appreciate other's thoughts that understand this story better...

Diving into that chain of posts on X, I found this link useful to catch up on this AI development: (their 'deep dive' on AI founder ambitions is behind a paywall, but the background info is public and provides a useful 'lay-of-the-land')

Insights Into xAI, The New Company From Elon Musk. – @ReadMultiplex | July 19, 2023

Cheers to the 'bots! :D

Last edited:
Everyone‘s a winner baby, xAI 🎶

We’re looking at two things here. First is xAI has a competitor to Bard and chatGPT, named grok, rhymes with croak. Nerds already love this word, means to understand innately. Elon is going to monetise it via X platform, $16/mth (or $10 extra for existing blue tick peeps). It will draw non X peeps to the platform too. That‘s a huge win for X. A win for X means no Tesla stock sales to fund it.

Second, Elon suggests a version (grok lite maybe) will run on Tesla inference engine. And it will listen and speak. Like Google home only smarter. If nothing else it has novelty value, a companion on long trips alone, but I’m wondering what the non obvious uses will be. Google was originally just search. Now it’s maps, YouTube, sheets, mail, sport results… Putting a brain in a car has the same “this is just the start” vibe. Maybe I’m dreaming.

This vid has seven points, not ten. Skip the beginning and end, the meat’s in the middle.

At present, he said, U.S. auto dealers have more than 2.4 million vehicles on their lots, the highest supply since the spring of 2021. That means that competition for buyers is intensifying as pent-up demand from the pandemic wanes, making it difficult for any automaker to raise prices.

Last edited:

Grōk has the "long o" sound, indicated by the symbol "ō". It rhymes with the english word "oak" or it is pronounced like the "long o" sound in the word "ocean".

A First Look at Grok, Elon Musk's Mysterious New Chatbot from xAI | Nov 4, 2023

"Musk highlighted that Grok, pronounced as 'Grōk', is endowed with a penchant for sarcasm, coupled with real-time information access via the 𝕏 platform."​

Then Elon is saying it differently then every other time I've heard it in the need world. Been in soft dev since 1997. Always heard grok rhyme with crock.

Do you say "Tess-La" ... or "Tezz-La" ? (it's a founder's thing) ;)

Last edited:
Where and how rare earth elements are obtained for EV production is a major talking point when the green economy is debated. Pundits often focus on the environmental toll where these metals are mined. But these critics neglect to apply the same scrutiny to the damage caused by fossil-fuel extraction.
“We are mining seven million tonnes of rare earth metals today, and it’s expected to grow to 27 million tonnes by 2040,” Wallace says. “By comparison, the world extracts
15 billion tonnes of fossil fuels annually.”
The environmental damage wrought by oil and coal production is orders of magnitude greater than that of rare earth elements.

• Helpful
Reactions: EQC_ and Drumheller
Grōk has the "long o" sound, indicated by the symbol "ō". It rhymes with the english word "oak" or it is pronounced like the "long o" sound in the word "ocean".

A First Look at Grok, Elon Musk's Mysterious New Chatbot from xAI | Nov 4, 2023

"Musk highlighted that Grok, pronounced as 'Grōk', is endowed with a penchant for sarcasm, coupled with real-time information access via the 𝕏 platform."​

Do you say "Tess-La" ... or "Tezz-La" ? (it's a founder's thing) ;)

FWIW,

The symbol used for both grok and crock, as found in a search on the pronunciation of each word, was the "Ŏ" character.

grok /grŏk/​
transitive verb
  1. To understand profoundly through intuition or empathy.
verb
  1. To have or to have acquired an intuitive understanding of; to know (something) without having to think (such as knowing the number of objects in a collection without needing to count them: see subitize).
  2. To fully and completely understand something in all its details and intricacies.

I would suspect that whomever wrote the quoted sentence simply didn't look closely enough and mistook the symbol above for a Long-O.

Though we know how rare it is for journalists and others of such ilk to fall short in their quest to accurately present information. It seems inconceivable that they wouldn't take the time to do the necessary due diligence on any aspect of their work. /s

They aren't likely to have read Stranger in a Strange Land either.
Having read it a few times, the thought never occurred to me to pronounce it "groke" when Heinlein spelled it "grok"

Last edited:
Did you write this before or after you read El◌̆n's definate post on Grôk? ;)

Cheers!

Elon would be the first to support the idea of making mistakes and iterating quickly.
This may be an example of such an opportunity for whoever did that to be less wrong.

Perhaps someone should ask the AI with that namesake how to pronounce it.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: blckdmp and wtlloyd
Grok discussion might be better here:
TruthGPT & X.AI
Artificial Intelligence
Future Tesla UI Integrations Grok will be integrated into Tesla
X App Discussion Grok is now live on X

So...what's stopping SpaceX from launching orders of magnitudes of ultra-small probes (e.g. SWARM's technologies) via Starship or even the Falcon-9 rockets with cameras, having grok in them, and then mapping space astronomical body by astronomical body at this point?

Edit: I should add - nothing other than cost IMO, this is super freaking cool

Last edited by a moderator:
Grok discussion might be better here:
TruthGPT & X.AI
Artificial Intelligence
Future Tesla UI Integrations Grok will be integrated into Tesla
X App Discussion Grok is now live on X
Tesla Network / Robotaxi Business Model Grok will run on RT chips when not in use

We could also discuss in one of those listed threads upon how this new AI could have just as easily been named "Marvin" (considering it has been programmed with a Genuine People Personality), thus generating considerably less controversy over the pronunciation. 😉

"Life. Don't talk to me about life." - Marvin the Paranoid Android 🤖😞

I wanna see a wrap designed to look like it has already been scraped and torn, exposing the stainless steel beneath it here and there. Perhaps with some faux mud printed in the appropriate places.

This way it has that "used and abused" look that a wrap on a work truck or off-road vehicle will have as a matter of course, without it being used for actual work, nor ever having been taken off-road. :rolleyes: 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Everyone‘s a winner baby, xAI 🎶

We’re looking at two things here. First is xAI has a competitor to Bard and chatGPT, named grok, rhymes with croak. Nerds already love this word, means to understand innately. Elon is going to monetise it via X platform, $16/mth (or $10 extra for existing blue tick peeps). It will draw non X peeps to the platform too. That‘s a huge win for X. A win for X means no Tesla stock sales to fund it.

Second, Elon suggests a version (grok lite maybe) will run on Tesla inference engine. And it will listen and speak. Like Google home only smarter. If nothing else it has novelty value, a companion on long trips alone, but I’m wondering what the non obvious uses will be. Google was originally just search. Now it’s maps, YouTube, sheets, mail, sport results… Putting a brain in a car has the same “this is just the start” vibe. Maybe I’m dreaming.

This vid has seven points, not ten. Skip the beginning and end, the meat’s in the middle.

…ya I don’t know how many people will pay $16/month just for this when bing and chatgpt are free.

…ya I don’t know how many people will pay $16/month just for this when bing and chatgpt are free.
I don’t think many will just for Grok yet. Here are the tiers:

• Basic: Starts at $3/month or $32/year on web (or your local pricing)
  • Premium: Starts at $8/month or $84/year on web (or your local pricing)
  • Premium+: Starts at $16/month or $168/year on web (or your local pricing)
Premium+ ($16/month):• No ads in the For You and Following Timelines. This feature does not apply to promoted content elsewhere on X, including but not limited to ads on profiles, ads in post replies, ads in Immersive Media Viewer, promoted events in Explore, promoted trends, and promoted accounts to follow.• Largest boost for your replies (vs other Premium tiers or unverified users)• Access to full suite of creator tools• All previous Premium features• Now available on WebBasic:

$3/month• Gives you access to the most essential Premium features• Not eligible for ad revenue sharing• Smaller reply boost• Edit posts• Longer posts• Undo post• Post longer videos• Top Articles• Reader• Background video playback• Download videos

There is completely free and $1 per annum options I think.

The top tier was offered pre Grok so it could be seen as free. If you want Grok only, I think an x.ai app is coming which won’t be nearly as much.

Last edited: