Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. FPL is in heavily in on solar. Look up the. All solar town Curt Renz lives in, Babcock Ranch. I buy solar from FPL.
Florida law makers have tried to hamstring solar by passing a law to that would remove net metering on new installs as well as allow utilities to charge much higher fixed costs, surprisingly it was vetoed by DeSantis. So I wouldn't place any long term bets on solar unless it is operated by the utility in Florida. I am willing to bet that the bills didn't get any opposition from FPL...

We're constantly hearing Tesla's are very expensive to repair. Good chance Tesla is experiencing that first hand as the insurer causing them to back off expanding to more states in the US.
You would think they had that data from their body shops already.

I hope Tesla insurance as a force function to make cars more repairable at reasonable cost is going to stay and expand rather than retract.

You would think they had that data from their body shops already.

I hope Tesla insurance as a force function to make cars more repairable at reasonable cost is going to stay and expand rather than retract.
My daughters Lexus costs more to insure than my S. Similar driving histories Being a Tesla doesn’t seem to be a penalty. Even a Plaid doesn’t raise the rate much-I asked my agent how much it would go up if I got one.

Beginning of the Christmas rally?

IMG_0019.jpeg

The most expensive part of auto insurance to customers, and the most expensive payout of claims by insurers, by far, is for personal liability. A total replacement Model Y is +-$50k. Personal injury requiring lifetime rehabilitation could be in the millions. Shouldn't the safest car ever built carry the lowest insurance premiums? Yes, it should.
This statement sometimes might be true but mostly is not.
The components of cost in auto insurance vary tremendously with driver history, geography, vehicle cost and risk profile and others. This specific generalization is true primarily for high risk drivers in high risk geographic areas.
There are two metrics that combine to determine price of any insurance product, Loss Severity and loss frequency.
As a general rule these generalizations apply:
-a very low risk driver reduces cost of every component of insurance;
-the more expensive the vehicle the higher will be every category o collision and less so, but still relvant, liability products;
- The higher performance and/or difficult to repair vehicles affect all rates.
-As for liability products, low risk drivers of modest vehicles invariably have the lowest liability premiums.

Tesla Insurance is a very special case since performance, repair costs and high initial price combine to discourage optimism. That, coupled with often lengthy collision rapid makes Tesla insurance for collision often disproportionately high. The primary advantage for Tesla in offering these products is the presence of continuous evidence of driving behavior, plus superior evaluation of collision repair costs.

To a growing extent such advantages are being replicated around the world by vehicle and driver monitoring systems, although those are prohibited in some jurisdictions.

For drivers who have not had a liability claim in, say twenty years, liability insurance tends to become much cheaper. Otherwise, skip the generalities because the truth is always YMMV. In insurance, history wins.
Liability coverage rises in high risk, litigation prone areas and drops in areas where no-fault is the norm.

Tesla generally fits with expensive and/or exotic risks, so generalizations tend to be even more fraught.

Was that an actual 1.6B short position though- or another notional one where they're dishonestly citing the strike value of a bunch of options opened as a short position?

Ah, nevermind, I checked- it's notional, not actual, value-

I thought insurance costs were required to be based off actuarials vs "concerns"?
Actuaries are human beings. True story: I once worked on an actuarial project with an insurance company whose chief actuary was a Porsche fanatic. No surprise, their Porsche rates were much lower than most others for people who had long history with high performance cars and claim free records. As aPorsche driver at the time myself and having had no claim history for the prior two decades, I changed to them and saved nearly 50% on my annual premium.

The rule: If you can find an actuary who likes whatever you're insuring, there you find actuarial evidence favorable to your situation. In essence, choosing the database for actuarial evidence is an inherently subjective process. Most people deny that, but good statisticians always know that is true.

The above comparisons of fueling stations vs EV sites are nigh meaningless. The oil majors own 5% of retail gas stations - that’s it. 60% are single-owner sites; the remainder are independent companies ranging from the small entrepreneur who owns 2 or 3, to Buccee’s, Love etc. with many.
Many of those - but by no means all - have a franchise relationship with a flagship name, but none of those are at all akin to, say, a McDonalds, wherein the franchisee purchases all its product from HQ.
How and even why a Shell, for example, is telling or can tell these independents what to or not to do wrt charging stations is what matters, and I have learned nothing about such arcana.

Data source: API.org
Yep…and the larger companies are all seeing the writing on the wall and starting to plan for gradually increasing the number of EV chargers they host. Buccees and Wawa etc stand to do well of selling drinks/snack/real food … their margin on gas isn’t where the action was anyway. The smaller Indy operations will follow suit or shut down.
I mean, if I’m a Wawa executive and I see EV sales at 8 percent annually already? It’s obvious what the future looks like and you can actually plan the ramp pretty well.
8 percent nay be mocking territory for Fox and the Daily News, but it’s deadly serious for the convenience store / truck stop industry.

Last edited: