Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starship launch scheduled in 43 minutes at 7 AM central time. Does anyone know the best way to watch?

my preference would be a SpaceX feed on YouTube, rather than Twitter, so I can watch on my TV.
Livestream has started on X:

Second attempt at the first significant step towards humanity becomaing a spacefaring species!

Mod: Fun stuff, and worthy of watching, but….

Posts subsequent to this one have been moved to where they belong, which is this:

I sought evidence to support my hunch...At first all data appeared to contradict my hunch, because it showed how much better legacy automotive is doing with YOY numbers suggesting that they are crushing it in spite of interest rates.

If you want to do this analysis properly, you need to estimate:

(change in manufacturer reported sales) - (change in dealer inventory)​

c.f. "channel stuffing". ie: the legacy auto industry is not healthy..

Seems like Megapack should be ramping up big time, significantly improving profits for 2024.. Does anyone know Bradford Ferguson who is the source for this info?

I like this paragraph from the article. It may not be long before the profits from energy are larger than the profit from cars.

Tesla expanding to four lines and 80 GWh would be $40 billion per year in revenue. This would be about $8-10 billion per year of profit. Tesla has about $10 billion of net income this year for all of the car business. IF Tesla expands to 80GWH/year of megapacks then this will more than double profits for 2024 versus 2023.

Well, this one’s purdy so I kept it😁

1700324368521.png

IF Tesla expands to 80GWH/year of megapacks then this will more than double profits for 2024 versus 2023.

It's not clear to me if that 80 GWh/yr figure includes Megafactory Shanghai. That's the new Tesla factory which will be just 3 km away from the (now operational) CATL battery factory, which itself is rated at 80 GWh/yr capacity.

Obviously, an 80G Megafactory would pair well with CATL's 80G LFP plant, but we've also heard CATL may have other customers. I think it's more likely that Tesla gets 'right-of-1st-refusal' on those batteries though, even if Tesla signs an 'off-take' agreement and pays a fee to CATL.

EDIT: Bradford Ferguson's conclusion that Lathrop is doubling Megapack capacity from 40 to 80 GWh/yr appears to be based solely on his observation onsite that Tesla is pouring concrete for a 2nd loading ramp. This is extremely tenuous evidence, and IMO does not yet warrant making that conclusion.

Last edited:
It's not clear to me if that 80 GWh/yr figure includes Megafactory Shanghai. That's the new Tesla factory which will be just 3 km away from the (now operational) CATL battery factory, which itself is rated at 80 GWh/yr capacity.

Obviously, an 80G Megafactory would pair well with CATL's 80G LFP plant, but we've also heard CATL may have other customers. I think it's more likely that Tesla gets 'right-of-1st-refusal' on those batteries though, even if Tesla signs an 'off-take' agreement and pays a fee to CATL.

Thar's gold in them thar hills cells... ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

P.S. So could Lathrop and Shanghai Megafactories combined total 160 GWh/y installed capacity? "That'll move the chains!"

Considering Bradford Ferguson has done extensive research at Lathrop, sitting in his car counting Megapacks and such, I expect that this estimate would be for only that factory.

The 160 GWh/yr total seems reasonable, particularly if they have gotten a doubling in Lathrop rate of production.

The really cool (amazing) aspect is how they have ramped up and doubled so quickly, compared to the vehicle ramps. The much simplified assembly of the Megapack may lend itself to even higher production rates without an increase in footprint. Well, other than increasing the footprint of where they store completed units waiting for shipment.

This incredible annual profit boost should get Wally's attention as it is a very simple to understand bottom line figure which requires neither imagination nor challenging math to grok.

Last edited:

Thar's gold in them thar hills cells... ;)

Cheers to the Longs!

P.S. So could Lathrop and Shanghai Megafactories combined total 160 GWh/y installed capacity? "That'll move the chains!"
Cue Gordo after the ramp with the "Their battery factory is not even producing to full capacity...(they're only producing 60GWh/yr when they have the ability to produce 80 GWh/yr" 🥴 🥴 🥴 🥴

That is the way I heard it listening - 80 is Lathrrop only. But some limiting factor - speculated to be power electronics - seems to be holding Lathrop back from reaching the full 40 GWh/y originally planned.

But my 2 øre is that Tesla thinks that limit is short lived since they double the number of lines.

@Troy has an interesting graph of Tesla favorable/unfavorable based on data published in a couple articles. What's interesting to me is that about 50% of people have no opinion of Tesla one way or another. I'm curious how their recent tiptoeing into advertising will change these numbers over the next year.

California PG&E is putting the cost pressure on, contributing to inflation more and more - this should lead to more demand on power walls and solar except the PUC also crippled NEM3 to prevent positive ROI in reasonable time for home solar, and so solar sales are predicted to drop by 40-80%. Any predictions as to how Tesla can address that dilemma ?

I just double checked our own cost experience. off-peak PG&E EV2-A in 2019 was $0.16/kWh, 2023 it is at $0.26/kWh so car charging got 60% more expensive over the last 4 years. And now they also want to add a baseline cost of $57/month on top of that, which will further erode ROI.

Wonder what it takes to rectify this (no simplistic useless political responses please)

Tripping the light fantastic! Question: if the cars are synchronized (and they looked really synced to me),
how was the "Mexican Wave" done -- custom programming?
Tesla added the ability to customize about 2 years ago.

I think the synchronization is done with everyone picking the same start time.

Reactions: JusRelax and Etna
Hey guys, was biking through the woods and found this, anyone knows what it is? Cybertruck for scale

IMG_5199.jpeg
IMG_5200.jpeg

In all seriousness, almost unreal to think I'm holding a 4680 in my hands, straight out of Kato Rd.

As some of you know, I've never been into a Tesla, hell, I only ever saw two in my life so far, one Model S 70D years ago in a event, and more recently a stunning white Model Y Performance in a traffic light as I went by

Feels like having a piece of automotive history, or even a piece of history, specially since this is a V1 that isn't produced anymore. The most amazing part is that here in Brazil, the 4680s are the most cost effective cell ($/kWh) to get for DIY projects, the biggest challenge is that the positive terminal is aluminum, which can't be easily soldered by conventional means

As a side note and as a warning, if you plan to use one for your own projects, don't unless you have a really good idea what you are doing, they lack a few of the safety features most if not all other cylindrical cells have such as the PTC switch (positive temperature coefficient) and the CID (current interrupt device). So lets say you are fooling around with it and short it with a tool or even a ring on your finger, you will have a really bad time, quite worse than any other cell

And as a question, any cool ideas what to do with it after I test it? Maybe just a nice stand for it or a transparent USB power bank so it's useful and you can still see it