Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How far do you want me to go back? Starting when Tesla of all companies wasn't invite to the EV summit is good enough?
The EV Summit was for legacy to get their act together. Tesla had nothing to learn.

'Oh no, Biden won't say Tesla' - he didn't have to.

Who do you think has their act together today and gets the most benefit out of the IRA including domestic battery subsidies?

Don't wait for white-house PR to explain it to you.

Well SpaceX sometimes makes mistakes too, like the first Starship launch blew up the pad, they do learn from it.

And Elon Musk held the CEO title at SpaceX, same as Tesla. Gwynne Shotwell is the president and COO. I'm not familiar with Tesla's leadership structure but I assume someone (or a group of someones) already has the COO role, Elon isn't running the company on a daily basis.

FWIW Tesla does not have a COO, though some have suggested perhaps they ought to. Beyond Elon the senior (non-board) roles are SVP Automotive (Tom Zhu), SVP powertrain and energy (Drew Baglino), and the recently appointed to replace Zach CFO (Vaibhav Taneja)

Mod:

Let me try to make this clear. If someone posted an INFORMATIVE evaluation of a tweet and its effect on the company or stock,
AND there were no stupid, political, racist replies to that post, we would keep it. Historically these conditions have never been met. Mostly someone posts the stupid/racist tweet itself, but even the hypothetically informative post would soon be followed up with exactly the kind of followup that destroys valid discussion. Then we would have to delete the informative post too, because it's like a cancer inviting followup. Audie didn't supply numbers, but between the three mods active in this forum, we deleted about 60 posts over a period of a few hours. (Someone commented above that there were very few posts, because there were almost none that weren't deleted. This just proves that those posts turn off valuable discussion.)

There used to be a thread about Elon and Twitter. It became toxic. We moved it to off-topic, where a different moderator also concluded it was toxic. It got shut down. By all means, anyone (I just used the above post to reply, not specifically @CitizenKane) can open a new thread in the off-topic forum, but not here. Here, we moderate. I hope you now understand why.

--ggr
Mod: I'm about to move another 67 posts that started the mess earlier, and various off-topic spinoffs like moving Tesla out of the US, to another thread, which I will then lock. Then, when people ask why they can't discuss tweets here, they can be referred to that thread. --ggr

I won't link or post any tweets here, but presently many large advertisers are pausing / cancelling advertising on X (Disney, Apple, Lionsgate, etc) due to things Elon has said in the past few days, things I won't list here. This could have an impact on TSLA next year (the stock, not the company) if X loses huge advertising revenues and Elon needs to sell more of his TSLA shares to keep it afloat.

My feeling is this information is something TSLA investors should be aware of, but if the mods deem it out of bounds then feel free to delete it.

I won't link or post any tweets here, but presently many large advertisers are pausing / cancelling advertising on X (Disney, Apple, Lionsgate, etc) due to things Elon has said in the past few days, things I won't list here. This could have an impact on TSLA next year (the stock, not the company) if X loses huge advertising revenues and Elon needs to sell more of his TSLA shares to keep it afloat.

My feeling is this information is something TSLA investors should be aware of, but if the mods deem it out of bounds then feel free to delete it.
I think after a few days some other controversy will become the headliner and the ads will return, just as they did before.

Notice Apple "paused" advertising, they didn't withdraw it. After the initial huff'n'puff and media fanning the flames, people will have less knee-jerk reactions and things will be business as usual. At least that's how I suspect things will go.

I think after a few days some other controversy will become the headliner and the ads will return, just as they did before.

Notice Apple "paused" advertising, they didn't withdraw it. After the initial huff'n'puff and media fanning the flames, people will have less knee-jerk reactions and things will be business as usual. At least that's how I suspect things will go.

Could such a strategy in the marketing world of temporarily pulling their ad be branded the "stroke the woke" pause?

It shows all the benefits of virtue signalling by making a momentary public "statement" against the evil of the day, and then not actually having to follow through long term in order to keep a subset of the clientele buying the advertiser's product.

A brilliant psychological ploy to appeal to the short attention span, drama addicted folks whose lives revolve around sound bites and the short-lived Dopamine rush they generate.

Yeah, well I'll be pausing my Disney+ subscription for at least a few months. There really isn't enough interesting content anyhow. Maybe I'll subscribe to X instead.

Did someone here say Alaska?

1700278782663.png

Two Cybertrucks Spotted in Fairbanks

Could such a strategy in the marketing world of temporarily pulling their ad be branded the "stroke the woke" pause?

It shows all the benefits of virtue signalling by making a momentary public "statement" against the evil of the day, and then not actually having to follow through long term in order to keep a subset of the clientele buying the advertiser's product.

A brilliant psychological ploy to appeal to the short attention span, drama addicted folks whose lives revolve around sound bites and the short-lived Dopamine rush they generate.

Or maybe they just decide advertising on Twitter is not worth the hassle and quit altogether.
Twitter is very valuable for customer engagement via company accounts but as a means of direct advertising there are other alternatives that are just as effective if not more.
Twitter unlike Facebook and Google is heavily dependent on big company advertising and also overly dependent on North America.

1700284242340.png

Tesla can now register vehicles sold in Texas

Previously, Tesla would mail the paperwork to the buyer and they would have to register themselves and also pay the sales tax. You now pay your sales tax and resignation fees directly to Tesla. The tax and registration cannot be financed, however.

View attachment 991709

Tesla can now register vehicles sold in Texas
They tried this once before and it wasn’t optimal. Perhaps they will have better luck next time. The last time it took much longer to register than the mail the paperwork method.

Tesla has over 50% BEV marketshare in the US. How is that lack of support ?

In what other major market can it dream of such marketshare ?

Same with FSD. The take rate is zero in the EU and 1% in China.
I am 100% sure the take rate of FSD is bigger than 0 in Europe because I have it on my wife’s Model 3 and also ordered it on my soon-to-be-delivered Model S.

Seems like Megapack should be ramping up big time, significantly improving profits for 2024.. Does anyone know Bradford Ferguson who is the source for this info?

I think this video with Randy Kirk and Bradford Ferguson is the source:

Tesla has over 50% BEV marketshare in the US. How is that lack of support ?

In what other major market can it dream of such marketshare ?

Same with FSD. The take rate is zero in the EU and 1% in China.
Uhm that's because there is no FSD in the EU... I paid for it with my previous Model X and lost it when I sold the car, so I'm nit buying it again until it's available

After reading countless articles on how "EV demand is slowing" and knowing interest rates and uncertainty with the economy are likely the real culprit, I sought evidence to support my hunch...At first all data appeared to contradict my hunch, because it showed how much better legacy automotive is doing with YOY numbers suggesting that they are crushing it in spite of interest rates. But, remembering that legacy was artifically hampered by "chip shortages" and other supply chain woes (while Tesla somehow worked the problem feverishly and effectively), seeing YOY growth isn't the best measure. I did find this chart which has data thru Oct 2023 and it shows the issue isn't "EV demand", rather it's "new car demand" and I assume it is from inflation stressing buyer's budgets, higher interest rates and uncertainty with the economy. It's industry wide and maybe impacting luxury more than standard, I think the articles suggesting it is EV-specific are just FUD.

1700301975842.png

After reading countless articles on how "EV demand is slowing" and knowing interest rates and uncertainty with the economy are likely the real culprit, I sought evidence to support my hunch...At first all data appeared to contradict my hunch, because it showed how much better legacy automotive is doing with YOY numbers suggesting that they are crushing it in spite of interest rates. But, remembering that legacy was artifically hampered by "chip shortages" and other supply chain woes (while Tesla somehow worked the problem feverishly and effectively), seeing YOY growth isn't the best measure. I did find this chart which has data thru Oct 2023 and it shows the issue isn't "EV demand", rather it's "new car demand" and I assume it is from inflation stressing buyer's budgets, higher interest rates and uncertainty with the economy. It's industry wide and maybe impacting luxury more than standard, I think the articles suggesting it is EV-specific are just FUD.

View attachment 991734
You are absolutely right, and Tesla is capitalizing on this opportunity to extend its lead while other OEMs panic and pause or slow their EV production.

Kempower stock has been dropping like a rock too. Anyone know why? Something going on with NEVI?

Edit: looks like a similar trend for charge point.

As I posted elsewhere:
ChargePoint stock falls on revenue warning, C-suite shakeup - I hadn't watched the video but had heard about it on the radio this morning + seen a paywalled story on CNBC. CHPT stock closed down about 35% on Friday.

Besides the CEO change, there are other folks out: ChargePoint Announces Executive Leadership Changes | ChargePoint.