Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That video from James Stephenson was hillarious!

But TSLA is still heavily shorted. The $$$ involved are still a large number. In his last report @Papafox said 51% of sales were tagged as shorts. I'm not sure Chanos exiting will make much of a dent.

Some of us here got more of that $$ than the journalists Chanos was feeding.

Are you saying I should thank Chanos for financing my new house?

So, no evidence of clear and indisputable brand damage then?

Big surprise. :rolleyes:

Any chance the brand damage zealots might get off their high horse?

Likely no surprises there either.

You don't think a 7.5% increase in "unfavorable" rating is signficant?

Or a 5% decrease in "favorable" rating?

Going from 30% to 25% favorable rating is a 17% drop in the number of people who like your brand.

Going from 30% to 25% favorable rating is a 17% drop in the number of people who like your brand.

Yes, let's just overlook the fact that 50% of those surveyed didn't offer an opinion either way about Tesla. Wouldn't this factor significantly reduce the actual impact of the unfavorable upon the total number surveyed? Should we ignore this two to one ratio of the majority when compared to either of the favorable or unfavorable choices?

Perhaps you may also be overlooking that uptick in the most recent, far right-hand part of the chart where favorable has overtaken unfavorable.

Lastly, the chart shows a pattern of change that has become narrower between the two, not greater. Is this trend not our friend?

But, please, cherry pick the data to best suit your narrative. Everybody else does.

Here is the quintessential WHH video feat. Jim Chanos: (so nice, I watched it twice):

Jim Chanos’s Short Fund Goes Up In Flames | James Stephenson

Cheers to the Longs!
Jim describes the margins for Tesla vs Legacy. He's claiming R&D and "other things" are included in Margin calculations.
Not that legacy does nearly the R&D budget of Tesla, but I gotta ask how much of the Margin advantage does Tesla have when comparing apples to apples? What is legacy Margin without these added costs? (Does it move?)

• Helpful
Reactions: KBF

For some unfathomable reason many people have unquestioned faith in the accuracy and methodology of brand ratings, and even more when viewing metrics such as 'intention to buy'. Along with the vaunted 'unaided recall' core metric these all have several major problems.
-first, selection bias. During the last two decades every polling category from political voting intentions to favorability ratings and intentions has suffered large declines in correlation to actual observed behavior. More and more people decline to respond to surveys and those who do are increasingly likely to represent outliers.
-second, survey design flaws. As more surveys are conducted by people who have no background or qualifications in survey design and control, sampling errors grow even more than they already have due to selection bias because there is so little effort to design surveys to limit the errors.

Favorability ratings are immensely popular for the same reasons that political polls are so popular. Quoting some poll always is tittilating. Often they really have minimal value.

In our present TMC investor dilemmas many of us are compelled to evaluate personal behavior of a given CEO because if we listen to neighbors and ask if they've changed their view due to an obnoxious post somewhere, surprise!, they've often say they have done that. Such events are the third bane of survey research, Confirmation Bias. Here on TMC the purveyors of confirmation bias often become banished to ply their rumors elsewhere.

I decided to post this three part description because we are at great risk in this thread of losing sight of actual facts. In the present day ephemeral 24 hour news cycle we seek stimulation continuously. After the 24 hour continuous steaming news was invited by Ted Turner the world has devolved towards continuous exacerbation of controversy. We have, in this thread, fallen victim to that habit. Otherwise intelligent people are preoccupied with the latest tweet, even those that have a half-life of a few minutes.

If we are to be useful to each other we need to work hard to 'sort the wheat from the chaff'. We need to learn what data is real, what is imaginary and what is real but irrelevant. Gratuitous political commentary, personal revulsion or admiration of a given CEO is really not very helpful.

Actual business decisions and actual facts are always helpful. Actual buyer and driver performance is also relevant, as is everything financially demonstrated.

History is plentifully supplied with highly accomplished people who were deeply flawed. After all, as people become more and more successful their flaws become more visible. In my own life I have been lucky enough to meet and deal with a large number of highly accomplished people. I have tried to recall one such person who displayed conventionally conforming behavior. I cannot find one. We all here are involved deeply with one such individual.

Please stop trying to find relevance in odd behavior that is not directly tied to performance of our investments in TSLA. Please stop quoting ill-designed surveys, polls and anecdotes all of which exacerbate perceived risks.

We have many real risks, real opportunities and factual issues. Those are hard work to find, understand and explain. For me personally, I benefit enormously when someone corrects me when I make a factual error. Several people regularly do that; I owe them a debt of gratitude because that helps me learn. I hope we can enhance the exchange of solid information exchange, from which we can learn. That is why I've been here since 2014.

For some unfathomable reason many people have unquestioned faith in the accuracy and methodology of brand ratings, and even more when viewing metrics such as 'intention to buy'. Along with the vaunted 'unaided recall' core metric these all have several major problems.
-first, selection bias. During the last two decades every polling category from political voting intentions to favorability ratings and intentions has suffered large declines in correlation to actual observed behavior. More and more people decline to respond to surveys and those who do are increasingly likely to represent outliers.
-second, survey design flaws. As more surveys are conducted by people who have no background or qualifications in survey design and control, sampling errors grow even more than they already have due to selection bias because there is so little effort to design surveys to limit the errors.

Favorability ratings are immensely popular for the same reasons that political polls are so popular. Quoting some poll always is tittilating. Often they really have minimal value.

In our present TMC investor dilemmas many of us are compelled to evaluate personal behavior of a given CEO because if we listen to neighbors and ask if they've changed their view due to an obnoxious post somewhere, surprise!, they've often say they have done that. Such events are the third bane of survey research, Confirmation Bias. Here on TMC the purveyors of confirmation bias often become banished to ply their rumors elsewhere.

I decided to post this three part description because we are at great risk in this thread of losing sight of actual facts. In the present day ephemeral 24 hour news cycle we seek stimulation continuously. After the 24 hour continuous steaming news was invited by Ted Turner the world has devolved towards continuous exacerbation of controversy. We have, in this thread, fallen victim to that habit. Otherwise intelligent people are preoccupied with the latest tweet, even those that have a half-life of a few minutes.

If we are to be useful to each other we need to work hard to 'sort the wheat from the chaff'. We need to learn what data is real, what is imaginary and what is real but irrelevant. Gratuitous political commentary, personal revulsion or admiration of a given CEO is really not very helpful.

Actual business decisions and actual facts are always helpful. Actual buyer and driver performance is also relevant, as is everything financially demonstrated.

History is plentifully supplied with highly accomplished people who were deeply flawed. After all, as people become more and more successful their flaws become more visible. In my own life I have been lucky enough to meet and deal with a large number of highly accomplished people. I have tried to recall one such person who displayed conventionally conforming behavior. I cannot find one. We all here are involved deeply with one such individual.

Please stop trying to find relevance in odd behavior that is not directly tied to performance of our investments in TSLA. Please stop quoting ill-designed surveys, polls and anecdotes all of which exacerbate perceived risks.

We have many real risks, real opportunities and factual issues. Those are hard work to find, understand and explain. For me personally, I benefit enormously when someone corrects me when I make a factual error. Several people regularly do that; I owe them a debt of gratitude because that helps me learn. I hope we can enhance the exchange of solid information exchange, from which we can learn. That is why I've been here since 2014.
The human condition expertly defined. Will be summarily ignored or forgotten in the next three seconds.

And then there are people like me who lie on polls just to discredit them. I don’t know now how many they are, but I know others that do this to get the pollsters out of their faces. Most polls that I see are so slanted they deserve this and more.

So, no evidence of clear and indisputable brand damage then?

Big surprise. :rolleyes:

Any chance the brand damage zealots might get off their high horse?

Likely no surprises there either.

Focusing on whether or not brand damage is perceivable is a red herring because it is not a linear process. Very slowly then all at once is how these things typically happen.

Excellent reminder. We all are continuously manipulated. It appears far more obvious with politics (to me) than other subjects. We all need to strive to do better and not fall victim to Gell-Mann Amnesia effect due to convenience. Let's not forget the shear number of powerful enemies that Elon (and Tesla) have that will go to any length to stop the disruption.

Focusing on whether or not brand damage is perceivable is a red herring because it is not a linear process. Very slowly then all at once is how these things typically happen.

Always seems folks touting Tesla loyalty concerns as if it makes a hill of beans to the investment will time and again be revealed as much ado about nothing.

These anecdotal reports offer little to support this concern posed by a vocal minority over Tesla brand loyalty being a factor of any significance in evaluation of TSLA as an investment decision.

This "very slowly, then all at once" usually follows through with "then fades away" at the end. It is nothing more than a tale being repeated until people tire of hearing and repeating it. This, like with the SP, is really just FUD, and completely separate from the company's growth and foundation if the rising numbers on the Quarterly Reports discount there being any problem.

Chanos is out of the game
My thoughts turn to the journalists
Who will feed them?
He was invited over maybe 50 times between CNBC, Bloomberg, CNN Business and other channels to spew FUD on Tesla, and the media hosts and anchors so gleefully encouraged him with leading questions and reveling and amplifying his FUD.

I am wondering if any of these Presstitutes would invite him to do an introspection and ask him the hard question on what went wrong with his hypothesis ?

"Mr Chanos, you indicated several times that Musk might be committing fraud and lying to investors. Do you regret saying that and perhaps your whole bear thesis was wrong?"

That video from James Stephenson that @Artful Dodger posted earlier on Chanos, is fantastic

Last edited:
Mod: 5 posts about unions in Sweden moved to
and one that had even the slightest mention of twitter postings moved to the trashcan. In case you hadn't guessed, we are really serious about keeping postings where they should be.
--ggr