Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Weird- I know TONS of em. The only use they get out of the truck part of their truck is tossing their kids soccer/hockey/whatever stuff in the bed.
+1.

You can bolster this argument with some basic anecdotal data also. The next time you are on the road, count the number of trucks that do not tow vs the one with a tow. I bet it is 20 to 1 or even worse. Even the ones that that tow a majority of them are towing a trailer with lawn mowers and stuff and a small percentage only is recreational.

Reactions: Drax7 and SOULPEDL
One way or another I fail to see how these 200 doldrums can last much longer. Possible, but unlikely. Just too *many* ways it can break out.

Yeah, this is why the shortzes are attacking the 'bird's revenue stream so ravenously right now, because they hope to get their 'puffin' to drop some shares fish.

Remember, shortzes do not care about the business, thus are immune to good news. They have other intentions.

While most do not tow every week I have yet to meet a pickup owner who never tows. Heck I tow with my Model 3

Do you tow? The “No” people are group A.
Do you tow only locally, or on road trips?
Local - group B, trippers - group C.

My estimate is 1 in 4 are group C. Only group C *need* a long range battery.

Many in group B think they need a long range battery. They either forget that they can wake up to a full charge daily, or they confuse power and energy.

The media will be searching for bad cybertruck headlines, something to give ICE trucks a reason to exist. I get a feeling it will be towing range and price. They’ll paint it as though everyone hitches the van and goes cross country and needs the most expensive variant.

Seriously?
Screen Shot 2023-11-25 at 8.44.09 AM.png

Which one of you here is behind this?

CyberTruck? CaT? Come on! ;)

Cheers to the Kitties!

• Funny
Reactions: scaesare

Many in group B think they need a long range battery. They either forget that they can wake up to a full charge daily, or they confuse power and energy.

The media will be searching for bad cybertruck headlines, something to give ICE trucks a reason to exist. I get a feeling it will be towing range and price. They’ll paint it as though everyone hitches the van and goes cross country and needs the most expensive variant.
Question, from one who's far from being a truck guy... Is there a general rule-of-thumb
about percent of mileage loss, by weight towed, for gas trucks vs EVs?
I saw something recent about how a 240 mile range Ford Lightning got 120 miles
under real-world conditions.

Mostly I wonder if regenerative braking offers a non-trivial advantage for EV trucks --
I remember that this was touted as a factor in the Tesla Semi doing as well as it does
with heavy loads.

And, do any gas-powered trucks use "start-stop" regen to save gas when going downhill?

Question, from one who's far from being a truck guy... Is there a general rule-of-thumb

Mostly I wonder if regenerative braking offers a non-trivial advantage for EV trucks --
I remember that this was touted as a factor in the Tesla Semi doing as well as it does
with heavy loads.

And, do any gas-powered trucks use "start-stop" regen to save gas when going downhill?

Hitch up something that’s not streamlined and drive fast, your range will halve. If it’s designed for low drag and you sensibly drop speed by 10%, you might only lose 20% range.

The naysayers will describe every towing experience like the first one.

since 3;1 split, a lot calmer it seems, eh, except it took them until a few days ago (end of Nov to get 1st half of october 2023 almost a month late

1700946739084.png

last 7 months, nothing special upon first glance
1700946799230.png

plus all the data in a zip file (not adjusted for splits!) from July 2010 through end of Oct 2023
missing data from Nov 1st, 2018 through January 22nd, 2019 almost 3 months.

From July 2010 to end of October 2023, over 162 million TSLA shares Failure to deliver (plus the mysterious never reported ones, could be human error)

If anyone has that data, could you share
does not have the data in those 5 data files,
(Nov & Dec 2018 and most of January 2019). from those 2.5 month chunks

(unsure how to adjust for splits so added column for most likely total shares outstanding to get percent)
(percent FTD would obviously be higher if only used the float, but Aphrodite/Ghod knows and I have no clue what it was)
no obvious clusters like the time of certain failures,
may a pox be upon the shorts

Attachments

• tsla_ftd.zip
    800.7 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

I truly don't get why this is a big deal, except in the Supercharger Desert. I've been stuck more than once when the power was out in the area the Supercharger was located (of course, gas cars couldn't fill up either, but many could drive to the next town). A 500 mile range would have really helped me on more than one instance--even though I don't tow anything and probably never will. With Superchargers at 100, 150, and 200 miles apart, one location being out is a big deal. Adding more stalls to an existing location is great, but doesn't help if there is a local power outage. Long range is about comfort level.

So, Bellevue WA. Storefront is inside a high-end mall. Lots of excitement, probably 20-40 people sized crowd during the 20 min I was there. Super high interest among the crowd, people were just blown away, a ton of video and selfie taking. Sales assistants taking test drive requests and handing out free wrist bands. I didn't ask any questions, because really? These guys don't know as much as we do, and we'll still know more than them after the unveiling.
Truck had a few fingerprints, but the fit and finish, as reported many times already, is excellent. Tonneau was closed, you couldn't see the bed.
It was roped off, SA said they expected you could get inside and test drives would start, after the event next week.
To see it in the real world is a visceral hit, I wasn't expecting that.
There is an absolute tsunami of WOW! coming, once this is rolling down the streets. That's been said many times here, but you really get it when you're standing next to one.
Truly, right now is the calm before the storm.
PXL_20231125_200532992_1024.500k.jpg

So, Bellevue WA. Storefront is inside a high-end mall. Lots of excitement, probably 20-40 people sized crowd during the 20 min I was there. Super high interest among the crowd, people were just blown away, a ton of video and selfie taking. Sales assistants taking test drive requests and handing out free wrist bands. I didn't ask any questions, because really? These guys don't know as much as we do, and we'll still know more than them after the unveiling.
Truck had a few fingerprints, but the fit and finish, as reported many times already, is excellent. Tonneau was closed, you couldn't see the bed.
It was roped off, SA said they expected you could get inside and test drives would start, after the event next week.
There is an absolute tsunami of WOW! coming, once this is rolling down the streets. That's been said many times here, but you really get it when you're standing next to one.
View attachment 993794
Well I hope after the test drive the salespeople will say 'April Fool, no CT for you'. I don't want the one I pre-ordered four years ago to go to someone who yesterday never heard of the CT and wandered through the door with a hangover.

View attachment 993794
What size are the tires if you could tell? The integration of the tires with the wheel covers seems to suggest some coordinated function? Any feel for that?

with heavy loads.

Hello ioquitor. It’s mostly dependant on

1. The trailer profile
2. The speed you tow at.

Weight has less to do with it. We tow a teardrop trailer with a model Y and we take about a 50 percent range hit. But it was about the same with our old Jeep Grand Cherokee. The model Y is a much better towing experience though.

IMG_7064.jpeg

Well I hope after the test drive the salespeople will say 'April Fool, no CT for you'. I don't want the one I pre-ordered four years ago to go to someone who yesterday never heard of the CT and wandered through the door with a hangover.
As I walked away from the SA I was talking with, in a conversation with another onlooker I heard him say "Well, the test drives won't sell more trucks as we're already past 36 months production sold". So no, I think for the most part, it will be first ordered, first served.

What size are the tires if you could tell? The integration of the tires with the wheel covers seems to suggest some coordinated function? Any feel for that?
No idea. Large? Quite large? Bigger than on any truck or van I've ever owned. They are really impressively large and meaty.
If you're the kind of guy who buys a new vehicle, and then spends $5K on custom wheels and tires right off the bat, I don't know why you'd care about wheel covers.

315/60/R20 aka 35inch tire and 12.5" wide, LT 8 ply rated on 20 inch rim. 6 bolt pattern wheels even though the wheels and covers are a 7 spoke look.

285/65/R20 has also been seen, guess we need to wait for specs to see which is what

1700952381683.jpeg

Last edited:
A random data point.

Today, my family and I drove about 2 miles to see the SpaceX booster rocket that had just been installed for display. We got back in my Plaid and drove a few more miles to see the cybertruck in real life. All very impressive.

No new information to report but December should be very interesting...