Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The concept of utilizing gravity for laden trucks descending / unladen ones ascending is tantalizing but not, alas, apposite in this case. Altiplanar lithium deposits are in or of salars and there is no engineering case of which I know or can envision whereby it is more appealing to process them at sea level than in situ.

If we were discussing iron or copper ores or even concentrate - then I couldn’t possibly agree more, and I can see where this gravity regen advantage could pencil out to lucratively justify some Andean railroads that heretofore have been prohibitive, rather than trucks using those truly nailbiting sarcophagi misnamed as “highways”.
On that topic, Australian iron miner Fortescue is doing just this from the Pilbara to the sea, under elevation drops massively smaller than those of the Andes.

Meanwhile, Model 3 owners in the USA waiting for Highland...

give-me-give-it-to-me-now.gif

There's a new Model 3 order with my name on it once those puppies start shipping over here.
Me too

Reactions: wipster and UncaNed
Um, yeah, and it may be worth mentioning that this episode was SPONSORED BY FORD.

Kudos for Jim Farley and his electric branch of the business for their support!

Edit: For the record, I am offering this as sincere praise to Ford, though I could see where it might be humorous as well.
Not cool in my opinion. Sandy may end up on the banned list for that.

Surprisingly detailed video from Sandy Munro. Sort of a pre-teardown with the Tesla engineers standing there to explain everything... wow!
@ 5:23 48v on new cars going forward. So one can guess the Model Y Juniper will not be 48V. Would require too much downtime and reengineering. Supply chain for Model Y is setup for 12V. So $25K will be next with 48V.

I also gathered from the video, the Model 2 will be single piece cast, no paint (and 48v). Add in steer by wire for left/right drive at a minimal cost overhead...WOW

Also of note the stainless bending and self calibrating process when a new roll (or batch) of metal is used (each batch can have variances in bending), combined with Elon's prior remarks about the Model 2 line...

Model 2 is going to be running off the line at previously unheard if speeds and efficiency. The future is bright.

Never mind Buffett selling gobs of stock and the dire outlook, he's no TSLA fan anyway.

Very unlikely that the "Model 2" will have stainless body panels, imo.
Somewhat agree, but I will say it with more specifics. Very unlikely that TM2 will have SS body like CT. Those panels are too thick and can't be traditionally formed. But, if thinner SS body panels that can be traditionally stamped happens to pencil out cheaper than regular steel panels with paint....well, the more affordable manufacturering technique will win.

Not that I have mentioned something along these lines ever before🙄 but…
There also is a pinprick of a Supercharger gap on the Pan American of, oh, 2,088 miles between Prince George, BC and Prudhoe Bay, AK 🤬
It's not a supercharger gap, it's a no-road, jungle, impassable, inhabited by criminals, gap.

Gary Black

@garyblack00

Post-apocalyptic thriller Leave the World Behind shoots to #1 on Netflix – and $TSLA is featured prominently. https://independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/leave-the-world-behind-netflix-b2461618.html

Just saw that Gary Black posted this about the new Netflix Post-Apocalyptic Thriller: "Leave the World Behind" and yes, the trailer prominently features Tesla in this trailer. And, sure any publicity is good publicity is what I keep hearing, but this shows Tesla cars on FSD smashing into each other. I guess I will have to see how this turns into a positive for Tesla. You would think on FSD, the Tesla would recognize what is in front and slam on the brakes.

Gary Black
@garyblack00

Post-apocalyptic thriller Leave the World Behind shoots to #1 on Netflix – and $TSLA is featured prominently. https://independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/leave-the-world-behind-netflix-b2461618.html

Just saw that Gary Black posted this about the new Netflix Post-Apocalyptic Thriller: "Leave the World Behind" and yes, the trailer prominently features Tesla in this trailer. And, sure any publicity is good publicity is what I keep hearing, but this shows Tesla cars on FSD smashing into each other. I guess I will have to see how this turns into a positive for Tesla. You would think on FSD, the Tesla would recognize what is in front and slam on the brakes.
The cars were being hacked by something and no one was in them.

Reactions: wipster
It's not a supercharger gap, it's a no-road, jungle, impassable, inhabited by criminals, gap.
Darien Gap Norte?

OT: My dad helped build the Trans-Alaska Highway just after returning from the Pacific front in WWII. I've always wanted to travel it to AK, but haven't as yet done so. Would be nice to make it an electric road trip in our CT though. Not sure that'll happen in my lifetime, but would love to be wrong.

Somewhat agree, but I will say it with more specifics. Very unlikely that TM2 will have SS body like CT. Those panels are too thick and can't be traditionally formed. But, if thinner SS body panels that can be traditionally stamped happens to pencil out cheaper than regular steel panels with paint....well, the more affordable manufacturering technique will win.
Excuse my ignorance, but is wholesale wrapping less expensive and quicker than painting? If so, would also be a consideration for Gen 3 vehicle(s)... especially with factory wrapping optional with CyberTruck.

Last edited: