Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whew! Thanks GM and Barron's for setting us straight about EV demand.
And to think I was this close to selling all my TSLA shares.

View attachment 1005569
Yeah, because GM sold 19k BEV's in Q4 the market is buoyant!

Then later in the same article they also go on to say that legacy-auto dealer inventories are a huge problem with average 157 days of supply on the lots

Remind me again who those 19K BEV's were sold to...?

Last edited:
$35 for cells per kWh and $10 for battery packs, $45*41*2million = $3.7 Billion. Or $1,845 per car.

That'd be excellent. ;)

bill-and-ted-be-excellent.jpg

Long-term, Tesla hopes to get bty costs down to $50/KWh so a 41KWh pack could cost just $2,000... with an incentive of $1,835 per car, that's noice!

Cheers!

Tracking battery availability is admittedly getting very difficult these days with the supply chain widening its sources. But cell capacity for an additional 700k vehicles doesn't sound impossible. Some examples:

[*]CATL shanghai plant coming online with [80]GWh capacity. I think most of this is going to focused on stationary storage but 10% of that capacity could get enough cells for 100k+vehicles[/LIST]

A quick search on this isn't finding much about such a plant coming online anytime soon? I see stories from 2021 and very early 2022- some saying it turned out it was just an assembly plant, not making new cells-- is this a different one, if so do you have a recent link about it being nearly ready?

Even if it is-- where do they go?

They're useless for Austin since they don't use LFP there- and doubly useless in the US for IRA purposes even if Fremont had capacity and demand for them in cars.... Berlin was already under existing production (they're running 2 shifts, each of which can make 125k vehicles, but they're only averaging 100k per shift- meaning they don't have 50k more buyers even with cells. They could be used in China if sufficient demand existed AND if they're actually

[*]BYD continuing to expand cell capacity at a breakneck pace. Their introduction of Sodium cells into vehicles may free up some LFP capacity for sale to Tesla.

Again this isn't any help anywhere but Shanghai as above- and it's unclear how much more capacity Shanghai has available to build more cars- certainly not 700k, maybe not even 100k.

But do you have any specific #s or timelines on this one either? They'll have X gwh, when? And also ones for sale to others rather than expanding their own production that'd climbing very rapidly too.

[*]Panasonic 4680 production due to start Q2/Q3 2024

I'd be kinda shocked if Panasonic ramped faster than Tesla- meaning you won't have a meaningful # of 4680s from them in 2024.... Useful for 2025 though.

[*]Joe Tegtmyer said 4 Austin lines are ramping now with another 4 coming online by the end of the year.

Already addressed. Those are all going to the relatively small # of cybertrucks through at least ~August 2024... meaning, again, they won't allow meaningful volumes of other vehicles to be added to Austin until quite late in the year.

It's another great sign for 2025, but doesn't get you 700k new vehicles (and the customers for them in the right places) in 2024.

Long story short - 700k additional vehicles at 70KWh average pack size

CT is almost double that, and where all those 4680s are going for the next ~8 months (see the discussion we just had with The Accounting on that)-- and longer than 8 months if the ramp isn't exactly perfect, running 24/7/365

Every LR and P version of everything Tesla sells is more than that too.

Only LFP RWDs are less (and not by much) so unsure how you get to that average... (or where you think they'd be built)

I wish we had a reliable YouTuber/Twitterer that worked on global battery supply chain / factory capacity reporting the same as we have for vehicle volumes. Jordan and CleanerWatt both do some of this but none that I can find that look at a total market perspective. This leaves us to cobble together sources from multiple articles.

Agreed, but battery supply is only 1 piece here- you need not just the cells, but the right type, in the right place, and with the right factory capacity to make cars out of them-- then you also need buyers of that specific type of car in those specific places. Getting ALL of that together for 700k additional vehicles in 2024 doesn't seem to remotely fit any known info.

2025, especially if they get the next-gen vehicle in at least trial production by end of year, should be pretty impressive on growth (and 2026 explosive if there's a second factory making next gen by then)-- but 2024 all signs point to quite modest growth by Tesla standards for all the above reasons.

Instead I'd be looking to Tesla energy to be the pleasant surprise story for 2024.

P.S. Battery cell Line1 at Austin likely supports production of about 166K CTs per year (depending on the cell yield of the battery line, using 1344 cells per car). So 2 Lines together support ~333K CTs, which is near the max capacity of the 1st Cybertruck GA line, now installed and ramping. Another 2 4680 lines by mid-year could support ~500K Models Y, each with a 82 KWh pack (896 cells).

Again- The Limiting Factory video referenced earlier, and using quite optimistic projections, doesn't have them reaching enough for JUST full CT production until at least August/Sept of 2024....meaning spare cells only become available for Q4, and that's if everything goes perfectly the whole way. Joes repost here is saying the same- not until late 2024 for any 4680s not going to CT to be available.

But how many Models 2 could be built using those 4680 cells?

0, since Elon already told us there's no such car called Model 2. Not sure why you keep not believing him?

Also 0 for the next-gen car because battery day said those would be LFP. There are no LFP 4680s. So did Tesla change their mind on chemistry to use for next gen? Where/when was that announced?

Last edited:
Market makers are market participants just like everyone else and are entitled to serve their own interests. Ultimately market making is a business. A well run options desk should be largely delta neutral but have the right to maximize their returns on days like this. It’s all perfectly legal.
The market is rigged in the sense that large institutional investors often get material information before retail. That’s where the rigging is not MM.
Respectfully, no, MMs are not market participants like the rest of us. They’re subsidiaries of the same quasi-public/private institutions that not only have/get material info before retail, but often make-up the material they feed to retail. They operate at the highest levels of government/finance (honestly I can’t tell where government ends and finance begins) and often put the legislators/regulators in place who in turn go on to make the “laws” that “regulate” the industry. It’s a heads-they win, tails-they-win kind of game. And it’s like this across all major, multi-trillion dollar industries.

Global finance in general is rigged top to bottom. Rather than letting fraudulent actors fail and letting free market forces heal the damage, governments step in to protect the bad actors, assist in organizing the profitable crimes, and perpetuate the losses to the public who are mostly incapable of comprehending the system at all. No, MMs are not market participants like the rest of us--they are intertwined with the best lawyers, executives and politicians money can buy.

As for your “It’s all perfectly legal” comment, yeah you’re right. And so was slavery. But that doesn’t make it any less painful for those who suffer asymmetrically "under the law."

I have been thinking about this...if Tesla stopped making S & X.

What would my next car be? I love my Model Y - but for long trips I prefer a larger car like the Model X or S.

There are a few large EVs from other makers - the Taycan is probably not bad - but I won't touch anything VW after dieselgate.
The Mercedes EQS is a piece of junk.
The BMW i7 I have not tried. Do not like the looks. Inside or outside.
The Hongqi HS9 is large but man...

I would probably end up with an S-class Mercedes with a petrol engine. Sigh. Praying that their ADAS got better with time.

If I am the only person thinking like this then it does not matter. But I don't think I am that weird?
When I look at BEV's other than Tesla there are only two that appeal, both from VW group though. One is obviously the Taycan, the other is the Audi e-Turd Quatro - there was one parked in the street where we stayed in Copenhagen and if I got the craving for a bit of "old-style" leather and buttons, then I'd check it out futher: e-tron GT > Audi e-tron GT > Audi Nederland

It is abyssmally slow though, 4.1 0-100

... It feels like a step back in every way and its worth a lot to me never to have to drive a gas car again….
This sentiment is precisely one that plagues me. I have gone to exotic lengths to ensure that all my car rentals are EVs. Luckily that is becoming easier. I even try to have EV taxis, although I often settle for hybrids, as recently as last night. Of course here at AMS there are many Tesla taxis.

Were Model S to end I’m sure there would have been a better successor from Tesla.

Ouch, down 30% in pre market trading for mobileye (MBLY). Based on weak ‘24 guidance due to inventory glut.

Anybody know who they sell to? Is it just Waymo now that Cruise is sinking?

I have been thinking about this...if Tesla stopped making S & X.

What would my next car be? I love my Model Y - but for long trips I prefer a larger car like the Model X or S.

There are a few large EVs from other makers - the Taycan is probably not bad - but I won't touch anything VW after dieselgate.
The Mercedes EQS is a piece of junk.
The BMW i7 I have not tried. Do not like the looks. Inside or outside.
The Hongqi HS9 is large but man...

I would probably end up with an S-class Mercedes with a petrol engine. Sigh. Praying that their ADAS got better with time.

If I am the only person thinking like this then it does not matter. But I don't think I am that weird?
Recently I have read a number of comments on how 'rubbish/disappointing' the EQS is which surprised me as all the reviews I've seen of it rave about it as the best luxury EV available.

Please enlighten me as to its failings!

Thanks

Ouch, down 30% in pre market trading for mobileye (MBLY). Based on weak ‘24 guidance due to inventory glut.

Huh, I hadn't realized Intel re-IPOed them in 2022 after buying most of it in 2017...
"The company, which Intel bought in 2017, counts BMW, Nissan, Volkswagen, among others as its customers"

Funny, Deutsche Bank just named Moileye as the "last man standing" in autonomous driving lol:

Yeah, because GM sold 19k BEV's in Q4 the market is buoyant!

Then later in the same article they also go on to say that legacy-auto dealer inventories are a huge problem with average 157 days of supply on the lots

Remind me again who those 19K BEV's were sold to...?
GM has always been ahead of its time in EV production. Just ask Mary. That's why they are crushing it. You can be sure this year they'll set a new record by selling at least 1 more EV than last year. 🤔

Last edited:
Bad numbers of Tesla in Germany: only 4001 in December.
A thread on X.

As much as I don't fear for demand long-term, I'd love to understand more what's happening in Europe. It really seems Tesla has been dragging their feet in Berlin, throttling production from at least March. We all thought it was about keeping costs down and working on margins, but really not sure what to think about a sort of anticlimactic year for Europe (Q1 > Q2 > Q3, which will be probably in ~ Q4).

Recently I have read a number of comments on how 'rubbish/disappointing' the EQS is which surprised me as all the reviews I've seen of it rave about it as the best luxury EV available.

Please enlighten me as to its failings!

Thanks

Slow acceleration in a weird way. Feels sluggish compared to specs. Interior feels cheap/plasticy and dated. I've seen tests on YouTube that agrees with me. But did not bookmark since not really interested in the car.

A thread on X.

As much as I don't fear for demand long-term, I'd love to understand more what's happening in Europe. It really seems Tesla has been dragging their feet in Berlin, throttling production from at least March. We all thought it was about keeping costs down and working on margins, but really not sure what to think about a sort of anticlimactic year for Europe (Q1 > Q2 > Q3, which will be probably in ~ Q4).
That's ignoring exports to the rest of Europe and Taiwan.
One country for one month is a data point, not a trend.

Last edited:
A thread on X.

Didn't the government abruptly cut a €4,500 subsidy in December - making all EVs more expensive?