Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ESG is all about preserving the status quo and keeping the Vested Interests vested. They aren't really pushing renewables, and they really dislike Tesla.
It depends on the particular ESG fund. I hold some ESGV, which is a Vanguard fund indexed to the FTSE US All Cap Choice Index. TSLA is its 7th biggest holding.

1000004540.jpg

I honestly have no idea how that article passed legal at wsj. I didn't see any ounce of evidence for such defamation in the whole thing. A lot of speculation and assumptions besides the puff on Joe Rogan which was legal in that state.

The most disappointing part is the lack of "street fighting" lawyers Musk wanted to hire. Start suing for all this BS already.
It's tough to sue as, in the 1980s, the USA revoked laws requiring truth in media. When media is sued now, they often hide behind the, "we are an entertainment organization and do not have to be truthful" defense, and often win on that.

In other countries, the citizens know the "news " is propaganda. USA citizens are still in denial despite the mountains of evidence every time they look at it.

It's tough to sue as, in the 1980s, the USA revoked laws requiring truth in media. When media is sued now, they often hide behind the, "we are an entertainment organization and do not have to be truthful" defense, and often win on that.

In other countries, the citizens know the "news " is propaganda. USA citizens are still in denial despite the mountains of evidence every time they look at it.
Winning may not be the entire purpose. Theater of suing which creates headlines already gives you points in the court of public opinion. Then you drown them in so much lawyer fees that the clicks the article generated is no longer worth it. Repeat until they stop cause Musk has unlimited money.

It depends on the particular ESG fund. I hold some ESGV, which is a Vanguard fund indexed to the FTSE US All Cap Choice Index. TSLA is its 7th biggest holding.

View attachment 1007090
TBH, without even mentioning the corruption of many ESG funds, even MSFT or AAPL as champions of ESG don't really make sense to me.
Tesla is directly replacing segments of the fossil fuel industry: others simply apply some ESG criterion to their management. It's not the same thing... but it's not what ESG is concerned about.

Agreed that musk should sue. its defamation, and as a CEO its almost stock-manipulation too. Elon should remind himself of all of the negatuve, slanted biased BS stories that the MSM has published over the years. Its time to make an example of someone, and the WSJ have stupidly crossed the line by publishing a provably false story.
They are lucky I'm not elon. I'd have set aside $100m this morning to smash the hell out of the WSJ. Make it clear that they will be driven into the ground by constant legal attack until they get the darned message. I'd hire the fiercest lawyers and give them carte blanche to destroy the WSJ and everyone working there.
Elon plays far too nice.

Well, my comment was made based on drone flybys of the lithium refining plant and it looks nowhere far along for 1H commissioning.

OK, so fully ramped 4680 production processes have been delaying giga Nevada expansion (and semi production expansion?)?
I was thinking the same thing about the drone footage. It sure looks like a lot of work to do before production could start, and I would guess 1 year. It will be interesting to see when it actually happens.

It seems reasonable to me for Tesla to get the first 4 lines up and running pretty smoothly for Texas 4680 production, before adding the second 4 lines there, or building the 4 lines at Giga Nevada. My hypothesis for Tesla Semi production is that Tesla will need the 4 Giga Nevada 4680 lines to supply M3 and MY production at Fremont. That frees up the Panasonic 40 GWh/year Giga Nevada capacity (14 lines, IIRC) to supply the Semi (50,000 semi * 800 kWh/truck = 40 GWh).

GSP

I'm a C++ coder with 43 years coding experience. When I talk to other coders in the same age group, we all agree that the twitter firings were a LONG time coming, and much needed. Experienced, motivated developers have come to HATE the way tech companies are run (Tesla/SpaceX excluded). The amount of waste and laziness and incompetence is staggering. The only shocking thing about firing 80% of twitter devs with no downside was that it was not 90%.

This is one of elons most valuable skills. He understands enough about code to know the difference between good and bad coders. Not only do bad coders contribute nothing, they can earn a phat salary while making the code WORSE, and even more damaging, they de-motivate the skilled coders and make it an undesirable place to work.
Firing the 80% of twitter timewasters doesn't only cut costs, it cheers up and motivates the ones left (who did all the work anyway), AND it suddenly makes the company attractive to skilled and hard working devs.

Skilled and hard working people want to exclusively work with other skilled and hard working people.

This is one of the secret sauces in all elon's companies. Something Volkswagen, Ford and GM will never, never understand. Nor will the bitter failures who pretend to be journalists that dedicate their life to bringing the man down. Sad to see.
I have almost as much coding experience as you. And I couldn't agree more.

Talented people like to work with other talented people. That's true in any field.

What Elon did was that he turned Twitter from a social media company into a software company that happens to run a social media site.

View attachment 1007090
Are these good examples of ESG companies? It looks like any other fund large cap fund, maybe these are better than others out there.

This is possibly going OT. Totally relevant to the mission but maybe not TMC. In some ways it is on point. Some stories in here from Sedona, and the pissed off Farmers... Thanks all for the info above.

When I was out fishing for a good Operating Agreement a decade ago, there were some ESG boilerplates that spelled this out in the company governance. Do any of these companies (besides TSLA) have that kind of OA? Or Amended to include it? It's really the only leverage on a company to consider the planet and community because a CEO could loose their job over, say, a Chemical Spill, or Dieselgate as the perfect example with VW. Not that it would stop them, but it would be more difficult to pull off internally.

It's not a fair playing field for those really trying ESG simply because it's a financial burden in most cases. So unless it comes down as law of the land from Congress, this could all be a front in order to gain customers. "Get Carbon Credits for protecting hundreds of acres of forest" That nobody was going to cut down anyway.

It's a front - as far as I can tell. Unless of course to point out that Tesla did it brute force with people like us funding the cause. (Recalling a conversation in Sedona at the Film Festival, was a member who invested in Tesla because of the mission (and the Model S). He then bought an RV with some of his gains and painted a big "Thank You Elon" on the side and drove the countryside. (Maybe was one of you.) He was an Accountant in Sedona, this was an investment after all that was smart AND helped the planet.

I don't know if there is, or will be another TSLA since there needs to be money to also attract investors as a dual mission. No matter if a company is trying to save the coral or clean up some garbage somewhere, it still boils down to our global air temperature. Congress is DOA, mostly because people vote for themselves only.

For example, ya can't find a farmer it seems to also lease their land to install solar. The story aired yesterday on KJZZ, and these companies don't seem to care about what the Farmers want, OR the farmers are putting conditions on the solar installers such that there is no margin. They wanted ability to veto if anything didn't look good for example.

I asked Google... about the Farmer's View here. You'll get the idea.

1704729601988.png

I think we'll have to wait until their crops dry out completely for a few years in a row, then suddenly they'll all want to install solar and save the planet! Same exact people. It's just Human nature to survive.

The solar company who figures out where these locations are happening, maybe they can pitch the future weather channel and get it going where drought is indicated already, or inevitable shortly.

Speaking of which, we grow lettuce in Az deserts? This should be an easy sell... no?

Lettuce prey!

Agreed that musk should sue. its defamation, and as a CEO its almost stock-manipulation too. Elon should remind himself of all of the negatuve, slanted biased BS stories that the MSM has published over the years. Its time to make an example of someone, and the WSJ have stupidly crossed the line by publishing a provably false story.
They are lucky I'm not elon. I'd have set aside $100m this morning to smash the hell out of the WSJ. Make it clear that they will be driven into the ground by constant legal attack until they get the darned message. I'd hire the fiercest lawyers and give them carte blanche to destroy the WSJ and everyone working there.
Elon plays far too nice.
I don't think it would be wise for Elon to sue because he would be subject to discovery. Even if all his drug use is prescribed by a doctor, discovery will uncover all of it in excruciating detail. I don't think he wants, for instance, the Ketamine story to get new legs.

This will all blow over. NASA is doing drug screenings and found nothing. There's just no there, there.

OT OT OT
@JimS
could go into Tesla app instead
touch the self icon
touch Account
touch charging
touch history
touch download arrow
select csv
select export history
select year 2023
save & email
post a huge amt data of where & when, dates times VIN (so do CSV and kill a few columns)
just as good (almost) proof of where & whhen (224 times SC since 6/6/2022 myself)
🤯

This is why I love Tesla and purchase $TSLA when I can. Thank you for this.

Oh, and thank you everyone in this thread, we seem to be back on track these days, it is much nicer reading the meat of what drives $TSLA up and down.

Well, I never thought I'd see this, but Craig Irwin, yes, "That" Craig Irwin, here on Yahoo, defending Tesla!